gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:02 am 

Whos side are you on? Lana doesn't need help finding MORE for me to do! :)

Between soccer, rain and "planning discussions" I got 4 trees plant Sunday and moved 2 of Saturdays....hopefully the place picks up a bit or I'll still be planting in December.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 pm 

I wasn't trying to make more work, just trying to tell you if you bring the receipt back to Lowes next month you might get some cash back that Lana won't know about to use on the Ferrari :D

If they discount them more in Nov or Dec they will refund you the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:48 am 

I would never get the chance..Lana is all over stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:22 pm 

76 trees in the ground...and woodchuck still alive it appears.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:01 pm 

Another delay. The bmw has a torn cv boot with the joint making noise so I need to change it. After an hour of screwing around with the axle nut I finally gave up and cut the nut off......hopefully the pace picks up now.

Attachments:
20181104_123101-resized-1024.jpg
20181104_123101-resized-1024.jpg [ 281.08 KiB | Viewed 6123 times ]
20181104_123351-resized-1024.jpg
20181104_123351-resized-1024.jpg [ 303.86 KiB | Viewed 6123 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:18 pm 

Axle replaced...still time for some insulation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:49 am 

mk e wrote:
Another delay. The bmw has a torn cv boot with the joint making noise so I need to change it. After an hour of screwing around with the axle nut I finally gave up and cut the nut off......hopefully the pace picks up now.

Do you have a 3/4 inch air driven impact wrench?

(My 330GT wheels should be torqued to 325 ft-lbs. This I do by hand. The spinors appear to tighten when the
car is driven. A 3/4 in impact wrench will unscrew them, but some times you have the take a minute or more before a large number of impacts finally loosen a spinor.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:46 am 

Lowell_Brown wrote:
mk e wrote:

Do you have a 3/4 inch air driven impact wrench?

(My 330GT wheels should be torqued to 325 ft-lbs. This I do by hand. The spinors appear to tighten when the
car is driven. A 3/4 in impact wrench will unscrew them, but some times you have the take a minute or more before a large number of impacts finally loosen a spinor.)

No 3/4 impact but I put a 3/4 ratchet on it wit a pipe and turned it about 1/2 turn... and it was cleanly getting tighter. I'm guessing I galled it somehow when I changed the bearings a few years ago. Less than 5 minutes total once I got the torch.

I got most of the ceiling insulation done...since most of the space above will be part of the shop its real just about 3 feet around the sides. I was pondering a door upstairs and doing the whole ceiling....I still might but first I'll do the stuff I know needs to be done. Walls next turn I need to figure out what to do upstairs....the framing isn't really finished and it needs outlets before I can insulate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm 

I had some Harbor Freight gift cards I cashed in on the composite bodied 3/4 Earthquake impact gun. Best $200 I ever spent. I've done a few Honda harmonic balancer bolts with it and some other stuff I couldn't get loose with my 1/2 inch gun. I think its rated at 1700 ft lbs. I've named it Bubba! Bubba seems to be able to get everything loose. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:21 am 

kkrace wrote:
I had some Harbor Freight gift cards I cashed in on the composite bodied 3/4 Earthquake impact gun. Best $200 I ever spent. I've done a few Honda harmonic balancer bolts with it and some other stuff I couldn't get loose with my 1/2 inch gun. I think its rated at 1700 ft lbs. I've named it Bubba! Bubba seems to be able to get everything loose. :D

I do not think that it is entirely about ft lbs. I think that the sequence of discrete impulses break up chemical bonds that hold things stuck. As I said in my post, sometimes it takes my 3/4" impulse driver what seams like a minute sometimes to my my spinor spin. It just goes bang, bang, .... bang ... bang and finally a low roar and you have to be careful least you have the spinor spin across the garage or into the car. I fully believe that it is the impacts that matter. If you try to use a bar with a 10 foot pipe extension you will just damage what you are trying to remove. You do not break the chemical bonds this way.

Once I was removing the rear section of the exhaust on my car. I was replacing entire sections, muffler and all.
I removed the driver's side by banging on the muffler with a heavy hammer. I could not remove the passenger side this way. What I was trying to disconnect was the joint where a pipe slipped into a slightly larger pipe. Since I live in a town full of artists, I when down to the pottery place and got a section of 1 inch thick insulation for a potting oven. I then had a little mat gas flame thing that I played on this joint with the insulation keeping the car from catching on fire. The joint was heated, but not enough that it became even slightly red. After it cooled, it was easy to remove with a few bangs on the muffler and the pipe came right off. The heat had expanded the joint enough for the chemical bonds to break.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 54  Next