gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:32 pm 

I go round and round on the best way to tape. I used to love the drymix stuff and still do on repairs because as you say it will be hard the next dry and not cracked. On a big job like this though that will take over an hour it just seems like more trouble than its worth. What I decide to do is a coat to just fill the gaps and let it dry, then I'll hit it with a scraper and tape with the fiberglass sticky tape. Its probably 4 coats (min) this way which sucks but the taping goes very fast once the base is flat and hard so I think it works out. I also have a love/hate relationship with the fiberglass tape..its so nice to stick it on and mud over with no worries of dry areas or bubbles, but it flat doesn't sand so you need to be certain its covered well and it doesn't expand/contract so while I've never had a seem pop I frequently see cracks in the seems.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:24 am 

More framing last night...slow going and I'm still not exactly sure what I'm going to do with the ends. Put some outlet boxes in too, but need to go buy more....not sure about lights for the ends either, need to see what they have. At least 1 more full day of work there, maybe 2. I'm pretty sure working today would get me in trouble and I'm feeling at least another 1/2 day will be allotted to non-work family time....then insulation, I'l be lucky to get any drywall up this weekend. I think making moving in for Christmas the goal is attainable and still leaves me a few months of cold to try to get the engine fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:36 am 

Its 23F here today...yuck.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:35 am 

The hidden room at the end I told the kids I'd build them has been kicking my butt....but I think I'm finally winning. I have function if not pretty framing, insulation and drywall going up. My plan is to move this to mud before I start insulating and mudding the rest of the space so its basically finished before its sealed up and be imes a small room with poor ventilation. I left the studs out of the dividing wall so I could get the drywall in there, the framing is done everywhere else upstairs.

Attachments:
20181124_191916-resized-1024.jpg
20181124_191916-resized-1024.jpg [ 338.18 KiB | Viewed 6337 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 am 

The kids room drywall is done and 1st coat of mud on. The kids are excited.

Insulation up on the east wall. Working up on the 2nd floor is the ultimate stairmaster workout..measure, down to cut drywall, carry it up, go get the knife, down to get it, next piece... ..I was so happy to get to mud were I could just stay upstairs.

Attachments:
20181125_101235-resized-1024.jpg
20181125_101235-resized-1024.jpg [ 322.03 KiB | Viewed 6321 times ]
20181125_185245-resized-1024.jpg
20181125_185245-resized-1024.jpg [ 278.22 KiB | Viewed 6321 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:21 am 

I did nothing Monday or Tuesday and was a little surprised to find the mud from Sunday still not dry...dry enough to move forward though so tape and 2nd coat on the little room walls. Tonight I'm assuming the mud will not be dry so I'll probably hang more insulation.

Mon/Tues I guess I did something...Monday I installed the new router verizon sent me many months ago.... and discovered they actually sent me 2. My hope was the newer router would have better range and feed the garage but it seemed worse and even moving it to the window right just 11 feet from the garage produced no signal in the garage... stupid wire mess under the stucco! I tried an upstairs window thinking I could shoot through the roof with no better results and neither worked well to feed the signal to the whole house so that was a failure. I also had no luck configuring the second router to place nice with the first router.....Verizon sells an extender for $100 that looks identical to there routers that is supposed to just plug into the cable and seamlessly extend coverage bit I'd need to run a coax out to use that. The window test convinced me a simple $40 repeater by the wall won't work. Then there are $100 through the powerline setups but I've heard mixed reviews and I need to go through 2 breaker panels which I've read are are bmsouce of most problems....which sends me back to a coax I really wish I'd dropped in the electric trench since the system splitter is right on the exterior wall where the electric stuff is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:10 pm 

IIRC you dropped a Cat5 or Cat6 cable in the trench. That is even better than a coax because you can plug one end into a router in the house and plug the other end into one of your extra routers in the garage. You configure the garage router as a Wifi Access Point and use the same access key as in the house.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:33 pm 

Brian A wrote:
IIRC you dropped a Cat5 or Cat6 cable in the trench. That is even better than a coax because you can plug one end into a router in the house and plug the other end into one of your extra routers in the garage. You configure the garage router as a Wifi Access Point and use the same access key as in the house.

I'm not sure I can configure it that way? The Verizon routers are proprietary from what I read....they link with coax, Moca 2.0 whatever that is, I know very little about this stuff other than my attempt to set the router as an access point failed since it kept trying to link to the main Verizon converter thing instead on the existing router like the expander they sell is supposed to do.

Getting a cat5/6 is a little challenging. My house router is in the study (kind of middle of the house) with just a coax so I'd need run the line from there or move the router and risk not having wifi throughout the house. I guess it shouldn't be a big deal though to pop in a wall box.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:48 pm 

mk e wrote:
Brian A wrote:

I'm not sure I can configure it that way? The Verizon routers are proprietary from what I read....they link with coax, Moca 2.0 whatever that is, I know very little about this stuff other than my attempt to set the router as an access point failed since it kept trying to link to the main Verizon converter thing instead on the existing router like the expander they sell is supposed to do.

Getting a cat5/6 is a little challenging. My house router is in the study (kind of middle of the house) with just a coax so I'd need run the line from there or move the router and risk not having wifi throughout the house. I guess it shouldn't be a big deal though to pop in a wall box.....
First off; don't worry. You have everything you need to set up a good system. It's just a matter of figuring out the technology.

It is possible that Verison is using proprietary stuff, but unlikely. If nothing else, you can just use the modem part of their box and output it to your own router. From there, you can hook up as many WAPs and ethernet switches as you want.

As for the wiring, well, you'll have to figure out what is technically possible and astetically pleasing.

You might consider bringing in a WIFI expert to set things up for you. I would expect that such an expert would split the coax signal coming into the house to a branch that goes to your TV video boxes and a branch that goes to your internet modem. The latter could be located close to where the coax enters the house with all the rest of the internet system (hard wire and WIFI) run off of ethernet cables. It sounds like you need to get ethernet cables to all places where you want WAPs (house and garage).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:14 pm 

Brian A wrote:
[

It is possible that Verison is using proprietary stuff, but unlikely. If nothing else, you can just use the modem part of their box and output it to your own router. From there, you can hook up as many WAPs and ethernet switches as you want.

It's a fiberoptic system. The fiber comes to the house an a main controller, not a simple converter is installed. Coax comes out of that and hits a splitter to go to the various Verizon boxes in the house at TVs and the router....then each box establishes a connection with the main controller. You can't say just plug the coax into a TV directly and get anything like with a "cable ready" tv, it's not that kind of signal and it requires splitters that are rated for it. You MUST lease the settop boxes and router from them, nothing from bestbuy or the like will work.

Out of the router it's normal so I could do a cat5/6 and normal access point off that. I now know I can't wifi into the shop so I'll need a hard line of some kind.

The powerline is the easiest if it would work ....maybe worth trying before I run any real lines. The only down side is they use a separate network ID so connection will drop coming and going to the shop and I'd assume with the doors up both would show and not switch to the strongest. I hate to over complicate both I hate do-overs more. ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 54  Next