gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:16 pm 

mk e wrote:
Remember this a a garge Scott.....probably 24"x8" footer, 8" block up to grade the drop to 6", 2x6 or 24cl walls for insulation valve, trusses on 24cl....done. I found that online tool that draws is and calculates all the materials...but now that it needs a stamp its not a lot of help. I had found an online place that supplied stamped drawings but they were expensive so I moved on, I need to dig it back up and also call a couple local places, they may have a garage rate since its virtually no work at all.

Stuff like this just pisses me off because its a waste of everyone's time and money...something like over 1/2 the states you can build a house with nothing stamped so if it was a real problem the news would be filled with stories babies killed in collapsing houses but they aren't so its a mostly made up issue. My 1st house was build in 1929 and the 2nd floor had 4x4 floor joists...the floor bounced a bit but it had been there since 1929 so clearly it was perfectly safe.

So that will add about $500 to the bill but at least I'll feel safe :roll:

The water management is basically a pit full of graven with a pipe from the gutters running into it. I could dig it while I have the backhoe on site for the foundation, a few hundred for gravel, another few hundred for pipe and fabric and probably another few hundred for the town engineer...who I've met and have little respect for her abilities. So $1000 extra and a couple days work if I go over 1000sqft, including overhangs....that is a lot of extra money above that about $500 for 36 vs 32 feet costs in material but it would allow a driveway too so I'll need to ponder that. At least this requirement I do understand the need for...but I still wish I'd build pre 2013 when thus took effect and I now understand what our neighbor were on about when they build there pool last year, patios didn't need anything but a strong back to build when I put mine in in 2007.

We'll see..funding to $10k was conditionally approved yesterday and she knows that means 15k ;)

I understand completely, just wanted to offer any help I could. Graphic std for various details are 'boiler plate' and it's mostly just notation etc.. that vary depending on building codes etc.. I have a lot of that sitting in CAD DWG files. If you want them I'll dig them up and you can have them. I've got a couple PDF's I can send over for you to check out, I'd post them but it's not an allowed formatt so I'll email them.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:24 pm 

mk e wrote:
It occurred to me that I'd guess the odds of the inspector actually measuring my garage foot print are pretty low......and I'm not very good with a tape measure so I could see how a 28x32 permit could easily turn into a 28x36 structure by mistake :twisted:

Could be, I do know that out here on the west coast that is never the case! The inspectors tend to be a real PITA and enjoy generating extra revenue for the city.

What was it? better to ask forgiveness then permission.. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:46 pm 

Madhatter wrote:
mk e wrote:
It occurred to me that I'd guess the odds of the inspector actually measuring my garage foot print are pretty low......and I'm not very good with a tape measure so I could see how a 28x32 permit could easily turn into a 28x36 structure by mistake :twisted:

Could be, I do know that out here on the west coast that is never the case! The inspectors tend to be a real PITA and enjoy generating extra revenue for the city.

What was it? better to ask forgiveness then permission.. :D

I know when he came to look at the pool he didn't measure it, he was focused on the little details and never checked dimensions. I think its worth a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:49 pm 

Madhatter wrote:
I've got a couple PDF's I can send over for you to check out, I'd post them but it's not an allowed formatt so I'll email them.

I got the email, thanks.

You can attach anything as a zip. That's how I post the ECU files.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:17 pm 

mk e wrote:
We'll see..funding to $10k was conditionally approved yesterday and she knows that means 15k ;)

Lana approved the size, location, driveway extension everything else today. Now I need the town on the same page

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:05 pm 

The requirement for stamped drawings means that after shopping around I'm in for about $1000 for drawings and permits before I deal with the run-off stuff. I hired a draftman today that works with an engineer to get it stamped. Wed I need to stop by the township and get a copy of my site plan to submit for zoning approval then that plus the drawing gets me permit. I'm thinking I'll be digging in a month.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:56 am 

I'm now pondering making it a little bigger...maybe 28x40...just to be sure everything fits...what's another 4 feet right?

I need to pick up the site plan from the town becasue its needed for zoning approval and that is the first step in permitting.

Lana is requiring quite a few small changes inside at the monment that are adding up to a lot of time.....I need to knock them out though before this construction can begin I think and all this is all going to bugger my spring plans :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:06 am 

It was to be 28x40...or maybe 30x40 but I got some bad news from the zoning guy and 20' wide is the most I can fit where I planned to build and I probably can go over 44 feet long....maybe 50, not sure so its not going to be as big as I'd hoped unless I move it to the back of the property but I can't run a driveway back because as of 2013 he have a hardscape rule so over 1000sqft total new hardscape I need to catch the water and put it into a dry well or similar so it doesn't leave the property.....easy enough with a roof to dump gutters into a drywell but not so easy with a long ass driveway so that means I'd need to hire an engineering firm, regrade everything and I'd be out at least $20k+ before I even started building the $15k garage :shock:

.....so 20x44 (or so) it is unless I tear out trees and maybe move the pool fence so I can go in instead of out....but then the door would either point at the back of my house which is not helpful or at a big hill that would need to be removed, retaining wall in and 500ish sqft of driveway added. For $800 win or lose I can request a variance and if it was a small functional garage I might get one but I suspect a garage-mahal project in a residential neighborhood would not be high on the list of things they want to approve....so back to 20x44 with no eves/overhangs because they would be over the line ...which is 50ft from the property line...not 3, not 20 but 50 feet to maintain an "open feeling" I was told but since my property is narrow and deep in back is where I can build...but not if I want a driveway.

Oh, and in order for funding to be approve by Honey it also needs a a bathroom accessible from the pool area so wet children stay outside and off her wood floors and there needs to be room for the mower and other yard stuff. A lot of requirements, I think I have it and can turn the draftsman loose Monday.

Anyway, its laid out I think, a 6x6 powder room/changing room in the corner that connects to the patio and a short driveway extension to get to a single entry door. I put the mower door in the back, door so honey can put her garden stuff in easily. Work shop behind the powder room along the no window wall(that is right up against a tree row) with lawn stuff in the last 10-14 feet leaving a 12-14 wide by 44 long car space...so I can have 2 cars in or a car and a boat :), but they need to be end to end.

Today's project is to start painting the now black basement ceiling to seal the soot but it is joists, ducts, wire and just a horrible job. So off to buy an airless sprayer...and most likely cover myself with paint.

Stupid fire!

Anyway its all keeping from working on the car :(

Attachments:
20x44 plan.JPG
20x44 plan.JPG [ 88.15 KiB | Viewed 12314 times ]
20x44 front.JPG
20x44 front.JPG [ 42.11 KiB | Viewed 12314 times ]
20x44 rear.JPG
20x44 rear.JPG [ 39.38 KiB | Viewed 12314 times ]
yard with 20x44.jpg
yard with 20x44.jpg [ 195.01 KiB | Viewed 12314 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:17 am 

mk e wrote:
bad news from the zoning guy and 20' wide is the most I can fit where I planned to build

as of 2013 he have a hardscape rule so over 1000sqft total new hardscape I need to catch the water and put it into a dry well or similar so it doesn't leave the property...
at least $20k+ before I even started building the $15k garage :shock:

For $800 win or lose I can request a variance

...which is 50ft from the property line...not 3, not 20 but 50 feet to maintain an "open feeling"

This kind of bull@#$% is why I'm a Libertarian. You should run for town (county?) board so you can repeal some of that crap. But finish the car first. Why the F@#$ do we pay taxes to then be told we can't do something?

When you've bought something and are building it to make it yours, the government tries to tell you they think it's theirs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:04 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
This kind of bull@#$% is why I'm a Libertarian. You should run for town (county?) board so you can repeal some of that crap. But finish the car first. Why the F@#$ do we pay taxes to then be told we can't do something?

When you've bought something and are building it to make it yours, the government tries to tell you they think it's theirs.

It's kind of funny in a way that my town is very red and the county has been red (although Rump was able to flip it blue)...but I think what happens is as an are develops and people get closer and closer to each other you get more and more conflicts...so government adds more and more rules because its just easier than trying to sort everything on a case by case and hope you don't get sued when today's answer looks different from yesterdays to someone.

I read about someone finding a body in the basement of a house they bought....so they called the police. It turned out the body was about 300 years old so they sent an archaeologist who determined it was most likely an servant who died and was throw in the trash pile father than go to the trouble of burying him, he was just a servant and to make it worse he was most like an indentured servant who dies before his debt was paid, which was common because they tended to over work and under feed indentured servants, cause its not like they can quit. Anyway after a little research the they found a 300 year old law in the next town over making it illegal to throw dead servants in the trash and figured that was proof because normally nobody makes laws to stop things unless they are happening.

The point is Run-off is causing a lot more problems as more land is cleared and developed...stuff like mud flows across the roads. and flooding in downstream town/cities because more water is running off....and the state passes a law about controlling run-off. I get why they need it and I get why stuff like this is almost always done on a "going forward" basis but it kind of sucks looking up the street and seeing 2 garages build what appears to be about 25 feet from the property line and that's fine because they were built 10 years ago and it's not fine today. On the other side of the coin the neighbors across the way are learning they need to regrade and install water management stuff if they want to build a pool/patio like I have an I didn't need any of that.

I'll make it work.......it would just be nice to have seen the future and acted sooner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next