gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:23 pm 

what is the definition of 'hardscape' you might be surprised as there could be some loop holes there to exploit. Almost guaranteed that hardscape has a very clear definition in the planning/zoning/building code. Setbacks can be either a hard line in the sand so to speak or come with a bit more wiggle room depending on line of sight, building height etc.. worth checking out. You might be able to get more room if you can show that visual line of sight from public access roads is not impacted via elevation dwgs.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:29 pm 

Madhatter wrote:
what is the definition of 'hardscape' you might be surprised as there could be some loop holes there to exploit. Almost guaranteed that hardscape has a very clear definition in the planning/zoning/building code. Setbacks can be either a hard line in the sand so to speak or come with a bit more wiggle room depending on line of sight, building height etc.. worth checking out. You might be able to get more room if you can show that visual line of sight from public access roads is not impacted via elevation dwgs.

The correct word is impermeable surface...so roof and blacktop for sure and maybe pavers of a % of the pavers depending how thye are installed.

The setback rule is pretty simple and firm......but that doesn't mean I wouldn't get a variance if Iasked and talked about how what I want to do complies with the intend and is better dranage wise....but its $800 just to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:45 am 

Finally back to the shop planning. I got the zoning variance paperwork yesterday and plan to have it ready to drop off Monday...then it's 30 days for an answer I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:58 am 

mk e wrote:
Finally back to the shop planning. I got the zoning variance paperwork yesterday and plan to have it ready to drop off Monday...then it's 30 days for an answer I think.

So I dropped the zoning permit paperwork of yesterday. When I started digging through the paper work and the ordince to site the correct sections for the variance I decided the zoning office was full of shit and I don't need a variance at all. I asked for clarification last thurday pointing to the specific sections I thought applied and she has gone silenent since.....so I submitted the applicaiton the way I think it should be before the town has time to change anything.

The best I can tell when the farm field was subdivied back around 2001 for the development the town moved it from R-1 to R-2 which allowed more lots but with bigger setbacks than if they left it R-1. The houses got built, the plans on file list R-2 and show a 50 foot side yard setback as specified by R-2 so that is what the zoning officer told me. But then the town re-authorized the zoning ordinace in 2010, and published the zoning map without adding the change that put my development in R-2.....so the current map shows me squarely in R-1 and that means 30 foot side yard not 50 foot and no variance required to build a decent size garage. The ordinance is clear that the offical signed map is the one and ONLY source of zone location information and the only way to change it is to approve and publish a revised map.

We'll see how the fight goes but I'm way happier arguing they need to follow the ordinace to the letter than trying to argue I should be given an exception from the ordinace.

The plan at the moment is 3 car 28x32 at the end of the driveway and I'm negotiating with lana that it should have 2nd floor space. I listed the height at 30 feet on the zoning applicaiton so I'll be able to go as tall as I could ever need for a 12/12 or barn(gambrel roof) to make space up there. This keeps it 2 foot from the setback line so I don't need to get anyhting surveyed to stay out of trouble, keeps the garage off my geothermal field that starts about 29-30 feet from the end of the driveway, and 10 feet from the house for fire, technically becasue my house is stucco with 6" walls I could go 4-5 foot spacing and go 36 foot on the garage but it will look better and Lana will feel safer with the standard 10 foot spacing.

fingers crossed on the zoning fight.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:18 pm 

I got a green light on the zoning....time to decide what exactly I'm building and have drawings made.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 pm 

Just heard garage plans do NOT require a stamp as the old inspector had told me. Another win.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:30 am 

A little progress here. Last week Lana and I finally agreed on what exactly we are goning to build so I finally hired a draftsman to draw up the plans...he said 3 weeks and about $300. So 2 more weeks to plans and applying for the building permit.

With labor day past and summer officaily over I have permision to start tearing out walkway and plants that are in the way.

I also have to get the buried propane tank moved but its still got a little too much propane in it to lift it....we ran the pool heater this past weekend and maybe 1 more weekend with the heater on and it will be ready. I'm going to see if I canhave the guy who moves the tank dig the footers and remover the top soil while he's on site....if not I'll need to rent a backhoe.

I'm worried winter will be here before my garage is usable......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:06 pm 

Why do you need to pay someone to draw it up? Looks like you already did? I did mine in 3DHomeDeluxe. I bought trusses and the company I bought the trusses supplied me with truss drawings and included the engineers stamp on the roof design. I just made hand written notations and sketches of the foundation and drew in a few 2x4's along with notations saying things like "bottom plate pressure treated", '2x4 16" on center typical', "double top plate".

I submitted what I did in 3dHome along with the notations and sketches and a copy of the roof truss drawings. They accepted it without any issues. Granted I'm in a different state and county but they are fairly strict here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:08 pm 

3D Home gives you a build list of materials based on your design and it was spot on. Knew exactly how many 2x4s, plywood, shingles etc to buy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm 

kkrace wrote:
Why do you need to pay someone to draw it up? Looks like you already did? .....

You're probably right. It started when I was told I needed a stamp....but then I learned that was not needed but I'm still not sure what I want to do myself vs hire done and I can't get real quotes without real drawings....some friends told me a local lumber yard would do the drawings free if you buy from them and they have good prices, but it turns out that is houses, not garages but at $300 and they guarantee it meets all current local code requirements it seemed like cheap insurance....and here we are.

Maybe wasted money and time......i don't know....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next