gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:14 am 

Spent the morning fighting with the brakes on my bmw yesterday....brake light on, traced to rear pads, replaced but the light stayed on??? Hmmmmm.....front? No.... Bad sensor front or rear??? No......hmmmmm.......the ecu does weird stuff when there is a check engine light so....disconnect/reconnect power? Yup, light out but now the engine doesn't run!!!! Shit! Power cycle again engine runs, light still out. Yay!

About this time a neighbor stopped by to tell me how much he liked the garage and ask if I could come build one just like it for him. He doesn't know me very well so he was dead serious. I told him no but did show him around and talk about some of the stuff I learned and what to think about then we went up and looked at what he was thinking....he's got a big drop-off where the garage needs to go so we talked about retaining walls vs grading vs floating floor, which is what he was thinking until I explained about it probably adding $20k...althoguh he seems to have buckets of money. He wants to build a pool too so I suggest he plan and get a zoning permit for everything at once then there is only 1 cost to design the water run off system and if he builds the pool all the dirt could be used to fill for the garage making botht rhe garage and poll cheaper too.

Community service complete so on to a little garage work. Ran a 220 30A line to the HVAC hook up, not that I have the money left in the budget to actually buy the HVAC system but at least there is power for it.

Put in another 30A 220V line for an electric water heater that will heat the floor......I may still run a propane line at some point but I'm thinking the heatpump will be the primary heat and I'll just use the floor system to keep the floor itself warm and as a supplement on really cold days.

I still need 1 more 30A 220 for an instant hot water heater...I could probably get away with a 110v unit, but it's still 30A so same wire and this way there will be plenty of hot water.....I just need to decide exactly where I want to install it. That's next.

Last I measured the tig welder and decided it will fit under the landing for the stairs. I'll play with the layout a bit knowing tis location for sure. Now comes the difficult choice....the 100A wire is expensive and I can pull the wire I already have in the basement and move it to the shop.....but then the welder is off line and I use the welder. My thought at the moment is move the wire then insultate and rywall under the stairs then move the welder. Its a little complicated becasue the floor heat stuff is also under the stairs and I think I need a water line for that as the waterheaters don't run it they are not at pressure so I need to figure out what I want to do there. Also I want to paint the floor but I've not decided how or with what...I need to think about that....but 7pm and enough for 1 day.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:28 am 

On the BMW you have to reset the brake light. I just did one a couple months ago. Had to do with pushing and holding buttons on the dash or steering wheel in just the right sequence to get it in the correct mode to reset the brake light and brake wear functions. Found some videos on youtube at the time.

You had to do it just right to get it into the correct mode. It didn't say in the videos but after each failed attempt we figured out you should turn the car off and open and close the drivers door so the car thought it was starting from someone just getting in the car. Otherwise we couldn't get it in the service mode.

When you do get it in the mode don't hesitate too long or it leaves the service mode automatically and you have to figure out what you did to get it in that mode again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 am 

kkrace wrote:
On the BMW you have to reset the brake light.....

Tried that, didn't help. :(

I found a few people on forums talking about the light with a rear brake change as I did.....lots of first this then that, none made any sense and others chimed in with it didn't work for them. I'm pretty sure there is a bug in the ecu software. ECU reset fixed it.

Back to the shop. I'm thinking I'll put wheels on the welding table per your general suggestion about making things mobile where possible. Then I can park it in front of the welded against the stairs and pull it out when I need more room...maybe. I'm also thinking about moving the shop to house side and making the car area opposite with a buffer zone in between....thinking grinding and metal chips don't belong anywhere near cars....maybe a curtain too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:38 pm 

Maybe this for a layout. Kind of use the bench to block/confine Lana and the lawn equipment a bit. Most all storage upstairs. That leaves a nice big open area for project work. If I DON'T install door openers there is a decent chance the kids won't use it for bikes and such.....Lana will throw shit in there but...we'll see how it goes.

Attachments:
20181008_123041-resized-1024.jpg
20181008_123041-resized-1024.jpg [ 212.73 KiB | Viewed 6253 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 am 

Last night I finished up the wire for the water heater...decided to mount the waterheater under the bathroom sink thinking its easier/cheaper to be sure the bathroom is warn and nothing freezes. The floor heat will have antifreeze so no worries there.

Ran a wire for the MIG welder, there will be a plug on the outside of the bathroom wall facing the welding station. Its near the center of the shop so with a 50 extension, which I already have, I can MIG anyplace in the shop. I'll get a little cart for the welder. For the TIG I'll switch from a 25ft torch and pedal to 50ft then I can also TIG anywhere in the shop.

I laid out on the floor where the lathe will go and measure out for the Mill (too much stuff in the way to markout the floor) this let me pick spots for the machine plugs and phase converter. I ran the 20A 220V line for the converter and 3-phase line to the lathe....bedtime before I got the mill 3-phase line run...tomorrow maybe.

A buddy (and maybe way back someone here) suggest I add outlets on the ceiling for pull down cords rather than extensions laying all over the floor. I might do that so at least the outlets are there...like between the bays. That might be a good plan for air too? I need to think about that.

In the basement shop I ran 20A 120 outlets. Here I was planning the more standard 15A, 1 circuit per wall...its just a lot easier to work with 14g wire and the outlets are like 50 cents each but while using the chop saw to cut stuff for the door install I popped a breaker so now I'm scared about the 15A idea....it was on the last outlet in the chain and I also had a 50 or 100ft extension cord so lowest voltage possible......but I never popped a breaker in the basement doing anything so I'm torn between a breaker that also protects the tools which are never over 15A and the bother of resetting breakers when I abuse my tools.......hmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am 

Might be cheaper to just get a heavy duty extension cord for the tig welder? They make then and they are probably cheaper than getting a longer hose for the torch? Sad part is you just made me realize I could have gotten one for free from a friend that just moved but I forgot about it until just now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:20 pm 

I realized tonight that most every screwdriver I own has been converted into a grout line cleaner by my darling wife....not very useful for anything else now....

Attachments:
20181009_143925-resized-1024.jpg
20181009_143925-resized-1024.jpg [ 176.85 KiB | Viewed 6246 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:29 pm 

kkrace wrote:
Might be cheaper to just get a heavy duty extension cord for the tig welder? They make then and they are probably cheaper than getting a longer hose for the torch? Sad part is you just made me realize I could have gotten one for free from a friend that just moved but I forgot about it until just now.

Not a bad thought.

I pulled out the welder wire from the basement and installed it in the garage. This is the 3rd install for this wire as I moved it with the welder from my last house. There is about 12ft extra which I'll just leave. The 25ft torch will reach to the front of the garage, with a other 12ft ot will teach the furthest corner.....if I had wheels.

Attachments:
20181009_165403-resized-1024.jpg
20181009_165403-resized-1024.jpg [ 280.62 KiB | Viewed 6249 times ]
20181009_165312-resized-1024.jpg
20181009_165312-resized-1024.jpg [ 298.94 KiB | Viewed 6249 times ]
20181009_153827-resized-1024.jpg
20181009_153827-resized-1024.jpg [ 185.37 KiB | Viewed 6249 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:50 pm 

mk e wrote:
….A buddy (and maybe way back someone here) suggest I add outlets on the ceiling for pull down cords rather than extensions laying all over the floor. I might do that so at least the outlets are there...like between the bays. That might be a good plan for air too? I need to think about that.

In the basement shop I ran 20A 120 outlets. Here I was planning the more standard 15A, 1 circuit per wall...its just a lot easier to work with 14g wire and the outlets are like 50 cents each but while using the chop saw to cut stuff for the door install I popped a breaker so now I'm scared about the 15A idea....it was on the last outlet in the chain and I also had a 50 or 100ft extension cord so lowest voltage possible......but I never popped a breaker in the basement doing anything so I'm torn between a breaker that also protects the tools which are never over 15A and the bother of resetting breakers when I abuse my tools.......hmmmmmmm

On the wall outlets, I did all the wiring with 12 gauge and used 20 amp circuit breakers. Yeah, it's a pain to wire with 12 gauge, but it seems really worth it to me. I have already popped one 20 breaker when my table saw bogged while also running my (old, dying) shopvac.

It seems to me that an important consideration is locating the outlet boxes: you can't have enough. Likewise, at each location, I ganged 3 boxes and receptacles so that I can plug 6 things into any location. I probably took it over the top, but I have no regrets. The place where I have a lot of stuff plugged in around the workbench (lights, USB chargers, Foredom, battery chargers … and even tools!). In California, I had to run GFCIs. The 15 amp GFCI receptacles are rated for 20 amp pass-through.

I only have a 2 car wide (and 2 car deep) garage so my situation is different. Regarding pull-down cords and compressed air piping, I decided against it. I don't move around a lot so Ijust drag around my 12 gauge extension cord or air hose when necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:22 pm 

Brian A wrote:
On the wall outlets, I did all the wiring with 12 gauge and used 20 amp circuit breakers. Yeah, it's a pain to wire with 12 gauge, but it seems really worth it to me. ...

I know you're right.....12g is what it should be.....

Technically a garage needs gfi here too.....but it's my garage so.... I did go the front outlets but inside I'm not going to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 54  Next