gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:06 pm 

I think I'm going to go ahead and put pex in the floor so its ready for heat. The plan has been to do a minisplit system...and that is still the plan but a warm floor sure is nice.....

Northern tool has a kit for $2k that looks like a circulator and a tankless water heater:
http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop ... Google_PLA

If the pipes are in the floor something like this could be done any time......

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 pm 

Are you buying trusses or building the rafters etc from scratch?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:27 pm 

I got the stamp on the truss plans. I just drew a 2x4 on 1 wall along with double top and pressure treated bottom plate then the pics from 3D home with the dimensions along with a hand drawn cross section of the footers.
Concrete guy drew it up on a bar napkin what they would want to see. I thought about submitting the napkin but decided to sketch it up on a clean sheet of paper.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm 

Trusses, but it will be a hip roof to mostly match the house. I say mosty because I'm cheating on pitch a bit....the sides you see from the street will be 12/12 like the house, but front to back will be 8/12 to give decent height but cost less.

We'll probably do something fancier with the doors too since they will face front instead of side like the current garage....which of course means changing the existing doors to match, so 5 doors at about $1000 each :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:33 pm 

I also marked up the plot that I got when I bought the house that shows the garage 15ft from the property line. Truth is I have no idea where the property line is except that I'm sure I built it on my side of it + or - minus 5ft

They didn't check

When I opened the door to let the guy in for the framing inspection he saw the racecar. I strapped him into the car and we talked about racing for 20 minutes. When I told him I was going inside to grab the permit and the plans he said don't bother and filled out the final inspection while still belted into the racecar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm 

I'm feeling like I probably am the concrete guy...or at least the footer and block guy from the rough numbers I got without the drawing....one more guy to talk to though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:38 pm 

kkrace wrote:
I also marked up the plot that I got when I bought the house that shows the garage 15ft from the property line. Truth is I have no idea where the property line is except that I'm sure I built it on my side of it + or - minus 5ft

I did that for the zoning permit.....i pretty much know where the line is, but it will be 10ft from the house and 32ft long and it should end up 32ft from the property line, 30 is the requirement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:25 pm 

As someone who just passed final inspection on a garage expansion I build myself with my own hands, I'll offer a few thoughts and suggestions ...

I hand drafted all of my "architectural" plan and elevation view drawings myself. This included site plans, demolition plans, foundation plans, plumbing plans, electrical plans, etc. I had to submit wet signature structural engineering drawings with my permit. I hired a licensed structural engineer who provided the structural design drawings, shear-wall, earthquake hold-down, corrosion prevention and other "schedules" and "tables". On all drawings I was listed as the Architect and the Contractor. It was a bear to get the drawings approved (two recycles through the "plan checker" office), but ultimately it worked out. Once the approved plans were in hand, there were no further issues with them and the Town Building Permit Inspector only occasionally referenced the drawings when inspecting.

It is impossible to have too much storage space. Consider revising your plan to use Microlam joists and a plain 2"x10"s for roofing structure instead of pre-fab rafters. This is to open up the rafter space as an storage attic. Install a pulldown folding ladder to access the attic. If you really want to go bold, consider installing a second trap door in the attic with an overhead winch so you can lift big stuff into the attic.

I wired everything with 12g wire and 20 amp breakers (this is allowed by CA code at least). I used 3 metal outlet boxes at every 120v outlet in the garage thereby giving me a place to plug in 6 appliances per site. Everything is electric now-a-days, wall warts take a lot of room, etc. I am thankful I did it. You can never have enough electrical outlets.

Think about shelving when you locate windows. You can never have enough shelving either and windows can mess up how much you can put up.

I put in a single garage door on my back wall with no plan ever to drive a vehicle through it (it looks out onto my manicured backyard). It is just so pleasant to open it up to let some sunlight and fresh air into the garage. Because It faces south in my application, I bought an R20 insulated door. I installed a electrical outlet for a garage door opener then decided that I preferred to just pull the door open manually. I installed the garage doors myself.

While excavating for foundations, think carefully about the extra stuff you want to bury such as rough-plumb natural gas pipe, Ethernet cables, etc.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am 

Thanks Brian.

An R20 door? I think the ones I'm finding are around here R6.5 :(

The current plan is 2x6 wall, so R19 there. 3 doors across the front with windows, they face west. 3 windows in back facing east, they are standard bench height off the floor so they won't interfere with work benches. The south wall is mostly blocked by the house, so just 2 man doors there, and nothing in the north wall which faces a hill anyway.

I decided NOT to add attic storage. The 1st plan was a barn (gambrel) roof with basically a full 2nd floor and drive in access from the hill......awsome, but that would add a lot of cost and Lana was concerend it wouldn't really match the house. So then came the hip roof which limits space and means any stairs would need to be in the middleish right in the way and the pull downs I looked at just seemed too steep and narrow to let me put the kind of stuff I wanted to store out of the shop up their.....so I canceled the upstairs.

I discovered this weeked just how out of shape I am....I started preping by taking down a tree, removing shrubs and a walkway.....I was so tired. I still have a few more shrub trees I like but am not sure what to do with. There is a 1000gal buried propane tank in the way, a guy is coming to look at that this week and I'll have him quote the other digging since we'll be on site anyway.....I don't want to touch the tank but a big full size backhoe for the weekend to do the rest would cost me about $400 with delivery.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:41 pm 

I bought Clopay doors through Home Depot. See attached screen shot of a quick example. The in-store configurator has a lot more options than both the Home Depot and Clopay websites. You can delete the expensive windows, faux carriage door handles, etc.

For my location at least, home delivery was free.

Regarding insulation, more precisely, the rated value of my Clopay garage door is R 18.4. The door is 2" thick. I bought a lighter insulation for my north facing door, but still insulated it for sound (music) insulation.

Clopay Customer Service / Technical Support is good, but they don't sell directly to the public.

Regarding attic cost, I found that wood costs were a surprisingly minor part of the overall project cost meaning using joists for an attic floor and 2x10s for roof framing wasn't much cost. Then again, I suppose it depends on your span. I had to install a large Parallam beam anyway, so maybe I'm not thinking of that, ... or the cost of 3/4" tongue and groove attic subfloor.

Attachments:
Clopay Home Depot Door.jpg
Clopay Home Depot Door.jpg [ 117.8 KiB | Viewed 14464 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next