gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:21 am 

mk e wrote:
Then there are $100 through the powerline setups but I've heard mixed reviews and I need to go through 2 breaker panels which I've read are are bmsouce of most problems....which sends me back to a coax I really wish I'd dropped in the electric trench since the system splitter is right on the exterior wall where the electric stuff is.

A friend uses wifi through his power lines in his apartment in a castle in Italy.
He says it works fine, but I have no idea if it goes though breaker panels.
I may see him on Monday, and I will try to remember to ask him about this.

If you have a pipe for electric cables, you may be able to place a cable along side them. When I built my shop, I had a PVC pipe buried in a trench that was about 75 yards long. I used a shop vacuum cleaner to suck a string attached to light cloth pieces like a bird tale. The suction did its job in about 45 seconds.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:49 am 

Here is a response I got He is Italy right now.
I have a simple question about your wifi.
You told me it was piggybacked on the power lines in your apartment complex.
Is it possible for this transmission to pass through circuit breakers?

Responce
The one I have is a D-link. One of the individual units did fail.
Yes, it seems to work fine through breakers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:36 am 

Maybe worth giving the powerline setup a try....With soooo many things wanting money I waste to waste any but I guess if it doesn't work as claimed then I can just return it and try something else.

I like the shop vac and sting idea...i never thought of that.

Saturday I taped and mudded the downstairs, roughed in the drain pipes and then got bac to insulation. Today I'll finish the the insulation hopefully.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 pm 

Mark, I have fios as well. They used the coax going to your router because there was probably coax already going to the room you wanted to locate it. There is also an RJ45 jack on the Fios box they could have used and connected your router with network cable. If the fios box inside the house is anywhere near the cat5,6 cable you buried just plug that directly into the fios box. I think there may even be two Ethernet ports in there?

My router sits in my office just on the other side of my garage wall where the Fios box is mounted so they just drilled a small hole through the wall and mounted a female network jack on the baseboard inside my office. I can bypass the router completely and just plug my computer right into the jack. Comes in handy for testing when it's not working.

Pick up a bag of USG Durabond 90 Joint compound from Home D for your first coat of mud. You'll be glad you did. Rock hard in a few hours, doesn't shrink or crack. Don't use it for the remaining coats because it's not as easy to sand but great for the first coat. Your second and third coats will dry faster and go smoother because you won't be filling in the shrinkage areas. The 90 is the working time, but the 90 seems to always work out fine for me. You'll also have a stronger joint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 am 

kkrace wrote:

Pick up a bag of USG Durabond 90 Joint compound from Home D for your first coat of mud. You'll be glad you did. Rock hard in a few hours, doesn't shrink or crack. Don't use it for the remaining coats because it's not as easy to sand but great for the first coat. Your second and third coats will dry faster and go smoother because you won't be filling in the shrinkage areas. The 90 is the working time, but the 90 seems to always work out fine for me. You'll also have a stronger joint.

I think I have some on the shelf...it might be the 60?....but that ship has sailed. Between Saturday and Sunday I went through 4 buckets of the premixed mudAbout 8 hours each day just mudding...my hands and shoulder ache. 3rd coat is done but I've never been able to get a finish I like in 3 coats....tape +3 so 4 is always where I end up and this time is mo different, it's at 85-90% but needs touch up. I'm hoping to paint the main area this weekend it I can keep it warm enough for the mud to fully dry by then.

Sunday morning I got out there early and worked on finishing up the installation up stairs. That's ready to drywall while the mud downstairs dries.

Attachments:
20181203_055127-resized-1024.jpg
20181203_055127-resized-1024.jpg [ 252.4 KiB | Viewed 6301 times ]
20181203_055134-resized-1024.jpg
20181203_055134-resized-1024.jpg [ 260.52 KiB | Viewed 6301 times ]
20181203_055041-resized-1024.jpg
20181203_055041-resized-1024.jpg [ 249.92 KiB | Viewed 6301 times ]
20181203_055058-resized-1024.jpg
20181203_055058-resized-1024.jpg [ 253.95 KiB | Viewed 6301 times ]
20181203_055345-resized-1024.jpg
20181203_055345-resized-1024.jpg [ 214.36 KiB | Viewed 6301 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:02 am 

kkrace wrote:
Mark, I have fios as well. They used the coax going to your router because there was probably coax already going to the room you wanted to locate it. There is also an RJ45 jack on the Fios box they could have used and connected your router with network cable. If the fios box inside the house is anywhere near the cat5,6 cable you buried just plug that directly into the fios box. I think there may even be two Ethernet ports in there?

My router sits in my office just on the other side of my garage wall where the Fios box is mounted so they just drilled a small hole through the wall and mounted a female network jack on the baseboard inside my office. I can bypass the router completely and just plug my computer right into the jack. Comes in handy for testing when it's not working.

I never ran the cat5...only talked about it. I'll take a look at the controller to see if there are conection options.. ...but it's not a router so I don't think you can connect more than I router. I'll look though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:59 am 

I don't see why you can't hook up more than one router but maybe someone with more network experience than me can answer? I know you can bridge them to act as an extender. Costco sells a pack of these little disks you can place around your house to extend the network.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:08 am 

kkrace wrote:
I don't see why you can't hook up more than one router but maybe someone with more network experience than me can answer? I know you can bridge them to act as an extender. Costco sells a pack of these little disks you can place around your house to extend the network.

I have 2 router and tried plugging both in...the main controller box connects to the 2nd at the expense of the 1st and the kids scream the internet died. I'm leaning to trying the plug in the wall option 1st as it's easy....but first finish they drywall and paint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:38 pm 

I'm not sure about your configuration, but most routers I've seen have a cat5 socket for extension, and a few normal cat5 sockets. There is a cable called (I think) a "null modem" cable, usually bright yellow. It allows you to connect one computer to another via cat5 without a router. You can also use this type of cable to daisy-chain routers if the extension socket is not available. All it is is a cable with the Rx/Tx wires reversed.

The WiFi router supplied by my provider only supports 2.5 Mb/sec over WiFi, but 5 MB/sec over a cat5 cable connect. So I just daisy-chained a second router I had laying around that did 5 MB/sec over WiFi and had greater range, using the extension socket and a normal cat5 cable. I could have also done the same thing using using a null modem cable plugged into a "normal" socket on the provider-supplied modem. I also have a cheap ($15 https://www.tmart.com/300M-Wireless-WiF ... 55269.html) WiFi repeater that extends the range into my garage. -50dBm throughout the house and garage.

I know, I know, those are pathetic speeds, but via DSL because of my extreme rural location in a county with only 4 stoplights (nearest 60 miles away), but 5 legal brothels.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:04 pm 

Nevada Mike wrote:
I'm not sure about your configuration, but most routers I've seen have a cat5 socket for extension, and a few normal cat5 sockets. There is a cable called (I think) a "null modem" cable, usually bright yellow. It allows you to connect one computer to another via cat5 without a router. You can also use this type of cable to daisy-chain routers if the

The router I have is exactly like that....but it's in the study and I don't have cat5 anywhere at the moment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 54  Next