gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:35 pm 

mk e wrote:
On my drive in this morning I was pondering built in shelving on the sides....I think I should do that, like 18" deep, 2' tall maybe, or maybe 2, 1, 1? Something like that but it will mean a few more sheets of plywood...and more time.

mk e wrote:
I finished up supporting the new floor sections lst night then spent a lot of time staring at at the unused space and pondering storage options and how I would build it.....and made no actual decision :(

Don't expend precious & limited brainpower designing shelves. That shit's easy.

https://www.knapeandvogt.com/product-page/wall-systems

https://closetmaid.com/webapp/wcs/store ... pageSize:&

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am 

Yes, but shelves when there is a place to put them. I'm thinking about this space that is behind where I planned to end the wall...maybe 2 more feet, but it's a pain to use.

Attachments:
20180321_055210-resized-1024.jpg
20180321_055210-resized-1024.jpg [ 330.08 KiB | Viewed 7905 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:38 pm 

Going to insulate between the rafters/upper chords?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:16 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Going to insulate between the rafters/upper chords?

My insulation plan is a work in progress, particularly on the sides where the compressor and secret room are, but I think R19 is what i can do at the roof. I could do more in the ceiling areas without sheeting above but that space is getting smaller and smaller.

I didn't quite finish but the front wall is getting sheeting to give me 2' deep built-in shelving. The back walk I sheeted everything thinking stuff like stock rack or anything light but bulky, there is also access from the stairs. Lana is noe officially mad at how much I'm spending up stairs so no more changes.

I'm trying to finish jobs materials list to bid out...homedepot and other places give a pretty good discount on big orders so I'm trying to get to 90% of what i need and have it delivered.

Attachments:
20180325_193918-resized-1024.jpg
20180325_193918-resized-1024.jpg [ 303.96 KiB | Viewed 7836 times ]
20180325_193909-resized-1024.jpg
20180325_193909-resized-1024.jpg [ 364.5 KiB | Viewed 7836 times ]
20180325_193853-resized-1024.jpg
20180325_193853-resized-1024.jpg [ 273.9 KiB | Viewed 7836 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:57 am 

I keep going round and round about how many Amps to run to the garage.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:03 am 

mk e wrote:
I keep going round and round about how many Amps to run to the garage.....

What are your choices? I would think 100 amps would be enough depending on the heat pumps? You're not going to be running everything at once? What are the chances or your heat pumps kicking on the same time you are raising the lift and welding at full amperage? If the heat pumps only need 60amp I would think 100 is okay?

Better to ask an electrician and HVAC guy I guess? Are you running a sub panel off the house or getting a new drop from the pole? Lots of older small older homes only have 100 amp service.

What size mini split system you putting in?

Are you wiring it? If its a subpanel from the main panel in the house make sure you remove the bonding screw in the sub panel so the ground bus and neutral bus are not tied together like they normally are in the main panel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:49 pm 

I think 100, 125, 150 are the choices. The house is 200 and this will be a sub panel.

The concern is the welder needs a 100A breaker. I tried to run a similar welder on an 80A years back and it would trip so I have to assume this one would too. So at 100 nothign is left for hvac.....I don't weld pedal full down that often.....but.....

Still not sure what I'm going to do with the hvac.....it depends on money I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 pm 

mk e wrote:
I think 100, 125, 150 are the choices. The house is 200 and this will be a sub panel.

The concern is the welder needs a 100A breaker. I tried to run a similar welder on an 80A years back and it would trip so I have to assume this one would too. So at 100 nothign is left for hvac.....I don't weld pedal full down that often.....but.....

Still not sure what I'm going to do with the hvac.....it depends on money I guess.

Get an inverter TIG. How many amps is your welder? My square wave Tig is 240 amps and I don't think I've tripped the 60 amp breaker? You can always switch the heat pump off to weld the big shit and switch it back on when you're done? The heat pump only needs the amps on startup or if you are using it for emergency resistance heat. How are you running power from the house? Above or below ground? Selecting the service wire is a trip. Mine had to run across the basement ceiling before leaving the house and going underground. I had to mount a junction box at the transition from the basement to the outside. Romex across the basement and then individual aluminum conductors in conduit underground.

All sorts of strange code issues depending on if service is buried or not with types of insulation and heat ratings.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:40 am 

kkrace wrote:

Get an inverter TIG. How many amps is your welder? My square wave Tig is 240 amps and I don't think I've tripped the 60 amp breaker? You can always switch the heat pump off to weld the big shit and switch it back on when you're done? The heat pump only needs the amps on startup or if you are using it for emergency resistance heat. How are you running power from the house? Above or below ground? Selecting the service wire is a trip. Mine had to run across the basement ceiling before leaving the house and going underground. I had to mount a junction box at the transition from the basement to the outside. Romex across the basement and then individual aluminum conductors in conduit underground.

All sorts of strange code issues depending on if service is buried or not with types of insulation and heat ratings.

The welder is 400A, which is the problem. Luckily the House service panel is on the wall facing the garage so its like 15 feet away, 25ft of wire max which will make things easier. I definitely could switch other things off during heavy welding...and plan projects like that for winter. Maybe today I'll look up the codes and wire sizes/costs and et that guide the choice. I know a 100A break is in stock and like $50 but a 150A is special order $150....but that is a small price to not have to thing about tripping breakers.....at least not in the shop but the houses 200A has never tripped but continues to be a real question in my mind.

Saturday an order from homedepot is coming, pot lights, insulation, drywall, mesh for the stucco, man doors. Lana says the priority is outside first but lots of rainy days in spring to keep the inside moving....and I can't do the walkway until the main wire is in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:59 am 

I decided on 125A. A 150A break for my main paneltakes 4 spaces and costs about $200 but a 125 is 2 spaces and $75....and should be plenty. So breaker and panenel are ordered, the 125Awith a main breaker is not stocked, it will be a few days.

I need to see where the budget is headed before finalizing plans on the minisplit but the thought is a 3 zone 30k btu, with 9K, 9K, 18K air handlers for the bath, attic, main respectively. This will need a 30A 220V breaker. The fall back is a 1 zone 18k or 24K to save money, but the wire will be there and be plenty big. The one I'm looking at is not the world's best....but is 21 seer and $2300+ a few hundred for lines and wires so say $3k....but 1 zone 15 seer is under $1000 including everything so a pretty big savings.

Lana mensioned the air compressor kicked on in the middle of the night and then she saw the neighbors light come on...could be coinidence but I think the compressor needs to end up inside the finished space to control noice others here. I was a bit worried about the heat in the uncontitioned space killing it anyway...or maybe I'll give it its own little room with a fan so it doesn't smoke up the shop....need to think about that.

I'm thinking I'll do a small electric instant water heater to feed the bathroom and shop sink. They are under $150, don't sit hot wasting power, will keep up on pool party days, and I am running lots of amps out to the shop anyway :)

This is also by far the cheapest way to warm the floor. There are a couple under $200 propane options but running the line will probably be around $500 plus the vent and I'm at $1000 so I'm leaning toward doing the install electric then upgrade it to propane once the shock of all the spending is over. So 30A line under the stairs too, but I'll wire this 220V which would be enough to actually heat the shop if the heatpump is down.

There is talk that the front lights should be on the switch in the house with all the other front lights...that's a bit of extra work. I'll need to be certain I know about all this kind of stuff..

A lot to keep staight at the moment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 54  Next