gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:48 am 

I have a large air compressor in its own little house with three sides, the fourth being a wall of my
garage/shop. We poured a concrete base and installed the compressor. Then I hired a fellow
to build the little house that is only a foot or so taller that the vertical compressor. He bought the materials and built the house including building the access door. He did the entire project in a day
including buying the materials and was rather inexpensive. I then lined the interior with sound
proofing sheets. Could you get the folks that built your roof do this?

In hindsight, I would have built a larger area to contain my bead blasting cabinet that makes a
mess of very fine stuff all over the place.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:03 am 

Lowell_Brown wrote:
I have a large air compressor in its own little house with three sides, the fourth being a wall of my
garage/shop. We poured a concrete base and installed the compressor. Then I hired a fellow
to build the little house that is only a foot or so taller that the vertical compressor. He bought the materials and built the house including building the access door. He did the entire project in a day
including buying the materials and was rather inexpensive. I then lined the interior with sound
proofing sheets. Could you get the folks that built your roof do this?

In hindsight, I would have built a larger area to contain my bead blasting cabinet that makes a
mess of very fine stuff all over the place.

That is a nice way to go...technically it needs a permit here if its new space, but not if its sectioning off existing space....and outside stuff they can see. on a drive-by.

Doesn't it get hot as hades in there? That was my biggest concern. The place I have the compressor stuffed now was going to be outside the finished space and I was afraid of the heat, then I realized noise issues working at night and decided inside the finished space but I could basically build a closet if I thought it would stay cool enough.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:11 am 

I made the openings curved to match the doors.

I'm a little concerned that the walnut color is pretty dark and won't look good with white trim so I'm going to stucco the opening and see how it looks without trim before making any final decision.

I ordered some little 3" recessed lights that I'll put over each door to keep the doors from looking black at night.

I bought a cheap harbor freightvrooing mailer to nail the mesh on...hopefully that will start tomorrow and stucco base next weekend

Attachments:
20180330_193719-resized-1024.jpg
20180330_193719-resized-1024.jpg [ 221.73 KiB | Viewed 8977 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:07 pm 

mk e wrote:
I decided on 125A. A 150A break for my main paneltakes 4 spaces and costs about $200 but a 125 is 2 spaces and $75....and should be plenty. So breaker and panenel are ordered, the 125Awith a main breaker is not stocked, it will be a few days.

I need to see where the budget is headed before finalizing plans on the minisplit but the thought is a 3 zone 30k btu, with 9K, 9K, 18K air handlers for the bath, attic, main respectively. This will need a 30A 220V breaker. The fall back is a 1 zone 18k or 24K to save money, but the wire will be there and be plenty big. The one I'm looking at is not the world's best....but is 21 seer and $2300+ a few hundred for lines and wires so say $3k....but 1 zone 15 seer is under $1000 including everything so a pretty big savings.

Lana mensioned the air compressor kicked on in the middle of the night and then she saw the neighbors light come on...could be coinidence but I think the compressor needs to end up inside the finished space to control noice others here. I was a bit worried about the heat in the uncontitioned space killing it anyway...or maybe I'll give it its own little room with a fan so it doesn't smoke up the shop....need to think about that.

I'm thinking I'll do a small electric instant water heater to feed the bathroom and shop sink. They are under $150, don't sit hot wasting power, will keep up on pool party days, and I am running lots of amps out to the shop anyway :)

This is also by far the cheapest way to warm the floor. There are a couple under $200 propane options but running the line will probably be around $500 plus the vent and I'm at $1000 so I'm leaning toward doing the install electric then upgrade it to propane once the shock of all the spending is over. So 30A line under the stairs too, but I'll wire this 220V which would be enough to actually heat the shop if the heatpump is down.

There is talk that the front lights should be on the switch in the house with all the other front lights...that's a bit of extra work. I'll need to be certain I know about all this kind of stuff..

A lot to keep staight at the moment.

Not sure where you are looking at buying your HVAC but make sure you don't use RocketIAQ. They are a rippoff scam and never ship any products.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:51 am 

kkrace wrote:
Not sure where you are looking at buying your HVAC but make sure you don't use RocketIAQ. They are a rippoff scam and never ship any products.

I was looking at these guys for multi-zonr

https://www.alpinehomeair.com

For cheap single zone Amazon has a couple pretty inexpensive options. Lana says no to any spending of course.....i just filled the garage with various materials so she's had to want a lot of money go out and doesn't want to hear about more spending at the moment.....but I did mount the exterior power shut-off box for this stuff so everything will be ready and waiting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:34 am 

Harbor freight had a 25% off deal for the weekend so I went over and bought an electric cement mixer to speed up the stucco mixing and a drywall lift to make it possible to do alone which will speed it up a lot.

My 10 year old worked several works assembling the mixer while I was working nailing on the metal lath.....and he learned the joy of harbor height products where sets are missing, the design has changed so the pics don't match the parts and the parts don't fit all that well. But he got thought it (with a little help) and was pretty excited when it turned on and worked. The kids have off today and at bed time he said he was going straight out in the morning to build the drywall lift. He's just getting to the old enough to actually help age I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:02 pm 

Cement on the front

Attachments:
20180406_183746-resized-1024.jpg
20180406_183746-resized-1024.jpg [ 279.36 KiB | Viewed 8818 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:54 pm 

You are doing a fantastic job. Beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:10 am 

Brian A wrote:
You are doing a fantastic job. Beautiful!

Thanks...amazingly slow going. It was too cold over the weekend for any more stucco bit I finished the mesh on the last side...i was waitingbhopingbid have the side doors but Lana's not ordered them yet (she didn't like the doors i bought) so I made a temp frame to let me move on.

Then yesterday I ran the outside and buried section of conduit. It will be a couple more days before it's warm enough for stucco so hopefully I'll be able to finish installing the main panel and get power to it. I also ran a smaller conduit, that is to run separate power for the front lights so they are connected to all the other lights on the front on the house. I may thought a cat5 cable in there too....music wasn't playing in the garage yesterday now that the wall faci g the house is covered with metal lath :?

Attachments:
20180408_193017-resized-1024.jpg
20180408_193017-resized-1024.jpg [ 281.78 KiB | Viewed 8749 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 am 

mk e wrote:
...I may thought a cat5 cable in there too....music wasn't playing in the garage yesterday now that the wall faci g the house is covered with metal lath :?
A good idea, paticularly now that more and more stuff is controlled via wifi/ethernet.

I was getting weak wifi reception in my garage just because my Wireless Access Point was on the other side of a shearwall/firewall. I ended up running a Cat5 directly to my garage Apple TV, but can now use it to feed another WAP if I want.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 54  Next