gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Dyno
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:48 am 

Saturday I'll pick up rollers, pics to follow....but the real project is getting a Stuska waterbrake dyno setup and working. Its older and has a 1200hp at 9000 limit...from what I understand its the waterbrake on a stand and most everything else is missing. There is a variable speed water pump that is supposed to be big enough.

More to come.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Dyno
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:21 pm 

A water brake sure don't look very hard to make......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:31 pm 

I spent some time looking at water feed pumps...these things need a lot of water. 1 gpm @50-60psi per 10hp. Nates brake is 1200hp, so it wants 120gpm....like a 5hp pump but at that pressure they aren't real cheap. 2hp Pool pumps are cheap at around $200 and have more than enough flow but only about 1/2 the pressure.....hmmmmmm.....2 in series meets the spec. If I only flow say 1000hp worth then probably 1.5hp pumps would do.

it needs a big water tank too. 275 gal pallet tanks you see on farms are pretty cheap...under $100 used. Maybe. Tall and thin would be better space wise though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:26 am 

Swimming pools are pretty big tanks :) You'd be using a heat exchanger right? So no contamination of the pool water?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:31 pm 

cribbj wrote:
Swimming pools are pretty big tanks :) You'd be using a heat exchanger right? So no contamination of the pool water?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:14 pm 

cribbj wrote:

Plus Lana likes the pool warm, I thought that was a win-win when I mentioned it to her....I was wrong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:29 pm 

mk e wrote:
A water brake sure don't look very hard to make......

This just doesn't look hard......

Nate has a 1200hp Stuska which is the old version of the 1600...they told him just change the water fittings to the new spec and its a 1600.....so the grapg is going to be about the same, just the top cut off maybe. Nate and I are having a hard time agreeing on specs and I don't see that improving so I'm re-thinking the arrangement.....

The 13" dynomite is pretty much a perfect match to my engine....pullls could start at 1200-1300 and to redline. The quote for the absorber anlone was $5800. There is a complete kit right now on ebay for $4800....absorber with electronics and software.

.....but making one just doesn't look that hard so I'm kind of thinking of heading down this path. hmmmmmm....it would be a lot faster and easier with a CNC of course.

Attachments:
Stuska 1600 Capture.JPG
Stuska 1600 Capture.JPG [ 41.58 KiB | Viewed 13689 times ]
13in curve Capture.JPG
13in curve Capture.JPG [ 80.57 KiB | Viewed 13689 times ]
stuska guts.JPG
stuska guts.JPG [ 95.68 KiB | Viewed 13689 times ]
dynomite guts.JPG
dynomite guts.JPG [ 44.36 KiB | Viewed 13689 times ]
13in absorber Capture.JPG
13in absorber Capture.JPG [ 102.95 KiB | Viewed 13689 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:07 pm 

mk e wrote:
Plus Lana likes the pool warm, I thought that was a win-win when I mentioned it to her....I was wrong

Huh??? Why???

I've always found it's better to just get on with something and ask wifey for forgiveness later, rather than asking permission or discussing it with her beforehand. That never ends well 'cause wives don't like stuff they don't understand.....especially if it's related or connected to something that has already dam near burnt the house down :) :lol:

But do carry on; I'm fascinated with this thread and have been dying to build my own engine dyno, if for no other reason than to annoy the crap out of my brain surgeon neighbor who drives an AMG but has never had the hood open and is clueless about what's in there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:58 pm 

Home. They will need to be knurled, fortunately 8 have q kneeling tool for the lathe and I THINK they will fit. No great way to couple the right/left sets together....2 absorbers would mean they don't need a good coupling.... but I'm thinking it's way cheaper to figure out a coupling.

The plan in my head is a simple but light frame that locks into the rails of lift to make the dyno, the absorber slips on the side and its good to go.

But I think it lower priority since the absorber, its setup and of course the engine all need to be done first... but I figured grab them while the were cheap...they are only 8.5" which is a bit small.....but I think if I space them relatively far apart they should do....$100

Attachments:
20190309_174944-resized-1024.jpg
20190309_174944-resized-1024.jpg [ 198.55 KiB | Viewed 13677 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:14 pm 

cribbj wrote:
mk e wrote:

Huh??? Why???

I've always found it's better to just get on with something and ask wifey for forgiveness later, rather than asking permission or discussing it with her beforehand. That never ends well 'cause wives don't like stuff they don't understand.....especially if it's related or connected to something that has already dam near burnt the house down :) :lol:

But do carry on; I'm fascinated with this thread and have been dying to build my own engine dyno, if for no other reason than to annoy the crap out of my brain surgeon neighbor who drives an AMG but has never had the hood open and is clueless about what's in there.

I break most stuff she lets me tough so....

If you want a dyno, here you go
https://www.ebay.com/itm/800-HP-Engine- ... ctupt=true

If I wasn't basically broke I'd probably buy it. That is the absorber I'm kind of thinking of copying.

Then a plate and adapter to bolt it to the bellhousing, plumbing, wiring, and some kind of simple stand and you're set.

I have 4 motor mounts the basically will bolt to a flat frame so thats what I'm thinking. I'll need to make a testing bellhousing and shaft or coupler of some kind.

I'm thinking I need to layout the aborber...I'm pretty sure I know what to do but I've never actually seen the inside of one so there are some guesses in the equation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next