gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:23 am 

I decided shop equipment belongs here and wiht Scott talking about printing velocity stcks and me needing stacks and havign a son who wants to customize his nerf guns it might be time to own a printer.

Last night i got permision to buy one and am looking at this:
https://www.zapals.com/a8-large-desktop ... swod-SoPjw

its open souce and a kit...and cheap! at under $150 with a 220x220x240 print size which seems big enough to do a lot of stuff.

or maybe this:
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d- ... 36308.html

similar but 220x220x300

At work I"m workign with some really high end printers but I know basically nothing about DIY stuff other than at $150-$200 I need to have one :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 am 

I'm liking these 2....aluminim frames and lost of features

210x210x310
https://folgertech.com/collections/3d-p ... rinter-kit

300x300x400
https://folgertech.com/collections/3d-p ... rinter-kit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:19 pm 

My machinist makes most of the parts for the Airwolf brand, decent printers but a bit more then the price point you're looking at. Here's what I know from talking with my machinist and helping redesign the printer head once. The code is the easy part, the critical and most important parts come down to unit stability and the resolution of the stepper motors. high resolution stepper motors are expensive and stability requires more material and complexity, also raising costs. Filament fed units are problematic with consistent heat and feed rates. So for the DIY low cost units expect part quality and finish to be "meh". Fun but not exactly a finished part, they will require a fair amount of post processing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:02 pm 

Yeah. I'm right now setting up a printer lab at work and the cheapest unit is $30k I think to do what we need. But for nerf guns and velocity stacks and such, I'm thinking filament unit and true ABS vs laser cured similar to ABS makes some sense.....even if i means sanding and polishing or painting to make it nice. I'm 3/4 ready to buy it I think......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:36 pm 

mk e wrote:
Yeah. I'm right now setting up a printer lab at work and the cheapest unit is $30k I think to do what we need. But for nerf guns and velocity stacks and such, I'm thinking filament unit and true ABS vs laser cured similar to ABS makes some sense.....even if i means sanding and polishing or painting to make it nice. I'm 3/4 ready to buy it I think......

The only reason I have not purchased a unit for home is that I have an account at both Stratasys and Shapeways, the cost of the parts is relatively cheap esp considering they use machines I could never afford for home. Even for one off Nerf bits outsourcing to them makes more cost sense to me. Then again I'm not printing off parts in any volume. I talked with the Stratasys reps a couple yrs ago at SEMA and they were coming out with a filament material that dissolves in water... it allowed for printing CF forms then washing out the core... very slick.

I've had a number of bits made from FMD stainless, very neat and actually a lot stronger then I figured it would be. Could not get some of these done for the cost if I had them machined.

Each piece in the pic was $50.. That's stupid cheap!! FDM stainless.. They still have to post furnace braze with brass to fill voids no matter how I figure it only a large volume facility to offer it that cost effectively. They (Stratasys) are starting to work with foundries too, still a bit pricey but they print the molds and the foundry does the casting. I've tried to get just the sand molds as printed but they won't sell them, has to go thru a foundry.

Attachments:
3D printed.jpg
3D printed.jpg [ 210.84 KiB | Viewed 23200 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:14 am 

I finally decided to order this:

https://folgertech.com/products/folger- ... rinter-kit

Its a kit and open source....so I'm assuming it will be a few weeks before I have it printing anything usable. The kids are excited.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 am 

Yesterday I downloaded FreeCAD and started playing with it a little....it seems to work.

Attachments:
long stack.JPG
long stack.JPG [ 50.74 KiB | Viewed 22843 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:23 pm 

The printer should be here tomorrow so I was reading the the manual and saw a download for CNC router...oh that's right, they are beta testing a CNC router option for the printer. This is going to be greaaaaaat! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:49 am 

Nice idea for DIY, but I haven't seen a 3D printer in person until now. I always see one from online stores.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:37 am 

They say the instructions are clear and easy....but can a 10 year old build it? Lets find out!

https://youtu.be/tVfnAlF_TLc