gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:30 pm 

drhex wrote:
@brian Where did you get that German plate?
At the Oktoberfest of the BMW Car Club of America a few years ago (in Monterey).

Spaten brewery was a sponsor and supplied free beer ... and free promotional German-style license plates.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:31 am 

Brian A wrote:
mk e wrote:
...They sell acid based concrete stains that can probably hide about anything then then you can seal over it maybe?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eagle-1-gal ... /204487976
Interesting. Will investigate.

EDIT:
Been Googling images of acid stained concrete floors. I realize I am very familiar with the look: lots of stores and restaurants use it. Personally, its exteme mottled look is a little too much for me. Likewise, I want to blend my old concrete with my new concrete and stain likely would amplify the difference rather than tone it down.

... although this is just a darned garage floor; not Versailles.

I saw it done a couple times on home shows.....the splotchiness seems to be an artsy thing related to how much you pray where. I was thinking that would hide the existing stains but I can see how it might be an aquired taste :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 am 

mk e wrote:
mk e wrote:
I bought a 5gal bucket of oil based sealer.....

And some 36 grit belt sander belts to remove the larger trowel marks and any paint splatters before I put the sealer down.

yeah....you can't smooth a floor with a belt sander, that's just plain stupid and will probably just ruin belts and burn out the sander (not sure of its condition, the respirator I wore to deal with the dust did a good job keeping the burning smell away too).

Now I need to decide if I want to spend the money to rent a concrete grinder and smooth it out properly (about $300) or say heck with it and put the sealer on as-is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:00 pm 

drhex wrote:
Epoxy is best by far as it will withstand tires and last forever if done proper. My garage sucks, cheap concrete (no, didn‘t build it), got proper divots in the floor from manouvering the car. Costco has this diamond patterned floor covering which I did put in in the end which works really well and doesn‘t cost a lot. If I had invested your time and effort and had the space empty I‘d do it properly...
Then again, leave as is and get to the engine ;-)...

Everything I keep reading says commerial expoy is great!...because they abrade the concrete then put on 20-30mils for a garage, as much as 120mils for serious duty. The rustoleum kit stuff I put on the attached garage floor is probablt 3-5mils (I used more than they said I needed) and its peeled badly.

Lana found a guy on ebay selling epoxy pretty cheap....one color take it or leave it, He's saying 11 mils, and it would be about $300 for a 900sqft kit.....so 600-900 to do what a pro would do, plus prep, plus color chips, plus grit, pulse clear to seal the chips and grit....800-1200? I guess for my 800ish sqft area.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:27 pm 

I built my garage 20 years ago. Prepped the concrete with some kind of acid wash, then painted it with garage floor paint I got from Home Depot. Put only one coat down and it has held up well, no flaking or lifting. Cleans up well with some Simple Green, worst case (oil spills) sawdust.

For what its worth I would go with epoxy next time. The kind where you lay down the epoxy then broadcast some particulate, otherwise the epoxy is too slick in the inevitable case some oil or coolant gets on it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:31 pm 

I'm a little scared of epoxy; lots of stories of it peeling or, at least, chipping. And $300 to rent a concrete grinder then $300 for epoxy is half way toward laying one of them fancy plastic tile garage floors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:10 pm 

Nevada Mike wrote:
I built my garage 20 years ago. Prepped the concrete with some kind of acid wash, then painted it with garage floor paint I got from Home Depot. Put only one coat down and it has held up well, no flaking or lifting. Cleans up well with some Simple Green, worst case (oil spills) sawdust.

Do you park in there? Every painted garage floor I've seen or heard about has 2 tracks of missing paint. My basement floor that I painted a couple years ago with sealer that says it's not for floors still looks good, but the most tilt gets is the mower.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm 

Brian A wrote:
I'm a little scared of epoxy; lots of stories of it peeling or, at least, chipping. And $300 to rent a concrete grinder then $300 for epoxy is half way toward laying one of them fancy plastic tile garage floors.

The plastic stuff is a couple bucks a sqft inst it?

My concrete is pretty rough and probably needs to be ground to make anything look good....concrete day started nice and turned absolutely miserable by the time the concrete was ready to finish....cold and pouring rain, just miserable

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:38 pm 

mk e wrote:
The plastic stuff is a couple bucks a sq ft isn't it?
Well, probably closer to $3/sq ft. And, you'd have to lay out a piece of plywood where you're welding so you don't melt the stuff.

It just pains me to pay that much for a garage floor … although I want to go with tiles pretty badly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:47 pm 

Brian A wrote:
mk e wrote:
The plastic stuff is a couple bucks a sq ft isn't it?
Well, probably closer to $3/sq ft. And, you'd have to lay out a piece of plywood where you're welding so you don't melt the stuff.

It just pains me to pay that much for a garage floor … although I want to go with tiles pretty badly.

$3/sqft means $2400 to me :(

Ceramic tile can be done for about $1/sqft and doesn't burn.....seems slick and had to be prone to crack

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next