gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dyno
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:45 am 

Looked at things again last night. I like the dynomite setup but not the space it will take. The welding bench is pretty strong, I built it years ago when I worked in a fab shop big chunks of metal available for purchase. I've been thinking about narrowing the 2 legs of the "T" frame and adding wheeling so I can push it a bit more out of the way when not in use....and now I'm thinking make an engine cradle that bolt to a few of the 1/2-13 tie-down holes on the table and it pretty much IS the dynamite setup. That's probably what I'll do.

The roller setup...yeah that will take space. It also requires I add a 4 post lift, so car on lift, lift drops down and locks to the rollers, its a chassis dyno. If I keep it very low profile I might be able to do it with just a set of ramps.....everything could be aluminum....that will need some thought and planning but it would be really nice to have. It only I had planned for it when I put heating pipes in the floor.......all this is at least a year out I guess, on to other things

Attachments:
20181228_111819-resized-1024.jpg
20181228_111819-resized-1024.jpg [ 138.1 KiB | Viewed 9212 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:56 pm 

This adapter to bolt a GM bellhousing to a 400i block is on the way...$100.....kinda wish I han't cleaned up a few years ago and threw the one I had in the trash.

Attachments:
#108999U.JPG
#108999U.JPG [ 2.27 MiB | Viewed 9175 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:27 pm 

Had a small panic today...went to the gopower website and found anything I clicked-on returned a 404 error so I'm wondering if they are still a company.....called the phone number and got a person though so ...relax.

The question today was I saw somewhere that they don't have anything to convert the dyno to a strain gauge....but I thought I saw somewhere that at some point in time they had a kit to add a pressure transducer to the system and that seemed a very sensible compromise to me re-engineering the whole setup and something I could and probably should do.

Which got me to, I wonder what the correlation between pressure and torque on the current gauge is? I could measure it but asking seemed way easier and it was, 1psi=1ftlb torque. Couldn't be simpler and I'm thinking I'll plan on this ...keep the current torque and rpm gauges just as they are, the read rpm from the ecu and feed torque with a transducer.

Also wondered if they have an adapter for my engine to save me making one? The guy I was talking to wasn't sure if the old D-512 was the same as current but offered to go check and then let me know what is available.
"What does the spline need to fit?"
- A ferrari
"(Laughter) You had to say ferrari, I'm certain we won't have anything laying around for that"
- its the same a something..a nissan I think, 10 spline 1.25"
"maybe then, that doesn't sound too weird. Let me check and call you back"

Now, I used the web messenger twice, and gave my email to a tech a few weeks ago and have never gotten an email from anyone....but maybe I will get a call back.

...not that it matters until after I fix the engine of course :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:44 am 

On my long drive home yesterday I was pondering that the total seal people say not to let an engine with new rings idle, highway driving for 2000-3000 miles is best or a night of racing is ok, I think I have that right. That gets me pretty quickly to run it in on the dyno as I work on lower power tuning which gets me to the dyno needs to be working not parked in storage upstairs…..dyno working means pumps and noise and, and , and…….but wait. I have 4 mufflers, 2 loud, 2 quieter for normal driving that are rated to 250-300hp. The dyno needs about 1 gal/20hp, max load is 1gal/10hp but general use 1:20 is good and a hose has to flow 5gal/min, maybe 10….so 100-200hp worth….so I just need to get it on the engine (once there is an engine), hook a garden hose to the valve it came with and I can do a proper bench break-in without a whole lot more.

The other piece I got thinking about was flow rates and pressure. The dyno has a 1” feed hose…..100gpm is not going through that hose and valve, I said that before. The stuska 1200hp uses 2 1” hoses and their old literature talks about 35psi…..35 is a single spa pump like I’m told most people use on their dynos. The old gopower stuff talks about 20-30psi. The single rotor gets 500hp from that, almost what the single stuska gets…..hmmmm.….I’m pretty sure if I just unscrew the 1” quick connect fitting, grind out the threads and fit an o-ring seals manifold I can come up with a way to get 1.25” or maybe 1.5” or maybe a pair of 1 or 1.25 hoses for to keep it more flexible and a simple spa pump should be ok. The higher pressures have got to be about getting water though small feed hoses.

Then water supply. With break-in type loads a cheap 275 gal farm tank is which is about an hour of engine run before its too hot and about a 3 min full power pull which seems like a very long time….1 minute seems like a very long pull, about 500rpm/sec is normal I think so 2000-9500 is 15 sec and the farm tank is good for a dozen pulls, more really because there will be tuning time between pulls. 275 or so seems like a big enough tank. Build a platform for it so the return pump and spa pump sit under the tank and I lose just a 3x3 spot in the corner. This seems like a plan and if I need more than 10 pulls I can drain and refill the tank with cold water from the garden hose in about an hours so way bother with anything more? I was being stupid.

With the dyno up and working for at least low power stuff I’ll WAY better understand noise levels and what needs to be done. Another argument to just hook it up.

Last, gopower does not have an adapter for my clutch spline…I’ll need to make that ….wait….a thought is coming……I have 2 adapters that came with the dyno and I have a flywheel that takes a 7.25” clutch, ebay might have a clutch that fits my flywheel and one of my adapters if I look.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 pm 

The adapter came and seems like it will work...a little tight but should be ok

Attachments:
20190912_214919-resized-1024.jpg
20190912_214919-resized-1024.jpg [ 258.81 KiB | Viewed 9097 times ]
20190912_214929-resized-1024.jpg
20190912_214929-resized-1024.jpg [ 285.64 KiB | Viewed 9097 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:57 pm 

mk e wrote:
The adapter came and seems like it will work...a little tight but should be ok

I accomplished very little over the weekend.....but I did debur the flange and dyno shaft and the 2 fit together nicely now and are off my work bench.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:44 am 

The bellhousing for the dyno came and looks right....well a GM bellhouing bolted to a ferrari engine looks WRONG, but it looks like it will do the job

Attachments:
1568766523_20190917_194544-resized-1024_mmthumb.jpg
1568766523_20190917_194544-resized-1024_mmthumb.jpg [ 96.17 KiB | Viewed 8977 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am 

Cool!

Don't you have a chicken and egg problem though? You can't break-in the dyno without a reliable engine and you can't break-in the engine without a reliable dyno?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:52 am 

Brian A wrote:
Cool!

Don't you have a chicken and egg problem though? You can't break-in the dyno without a reliable engine and you can't break-in the engine without a reliable dyno?

Yeah, John was on about that on the engine thread and its a good point. My plan at the moment is just press on and get the engine build and the dyno brake mounted to it.

From there comes break-in which is low load and I don't much care about how much HP, just that there is some load so I'm thinking leave the dyno just exactly the way it was built, change NOTHING other than connecting a garden hose fro the water supply which is only capable of 100-200hp of load so I just flat can't overload anything. I'll use the control valve already on the dyno, the one the factory picked and tested, and get the engine broken in.

After a few hours and after I'm happy with all the tuning at low power then I'll start dyno upgrades with a tank, pump and bigger MANUAL control valve setup and start adding more load. Probably add the pressure sensor to to let me log the torque at this time too. When and if I have it to where I can do manual pulls it will be time to thing about automating....but as cool as that is its not needed and quite risky so it may never happen.

That's the plan.....at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:04 am 

Want to use my 3.4 to get the dyno sorted? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next