gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:56 pm 

I've save a space for this. I think when the V12 is done next up is to re-arrange partially finish the basement to use the space better. The shop would loss a tiny bit of space but be arranged more efficiently so I don't think it would be missed and would probably be better because there'd be a lot less walking around stuff. There's always a project.....

Attachments:
basement 2cropped.jpg
basement 2cropped.jpg [ 107.36 KiB | Viewed 35043 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:59 pm 

You got to get rid of the game room and that storage room. Put the game room in one of Lanas knitting rooms. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:57 pm 

Where is the spot where you sit and drink and look at the cars?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:04 pm 

Ok.......it seems the shop in the basement is to be a think of the past and I will need to build a detached shop.....and not spend any money doing it :?

The mower and other yard equipment will need space in the new building as well and if I can truly see the future so will the pool stuff (cushions, umbrellas and such).....but I have no budget so every cent spent is and unplanned overage. OH and probably a bathroom becasue I won't be allowed int he home dirty....and it will probably need a door to the outside so its accessible from the pool because that's how its goes.....so garage/shop/poolhouse......with no budget....that looks good.

hmmmmmmmm...........

I'm thinking that I need about 600 sqft for shop with car parking.

I think the lawn equipment should be a full sixe garage bay, I could be smaller but if I ever want to move a functional bay is probably better than a partial bay...so 20x12? or 240sqft.

Then a bathroom/changing room with a shower I guess?.....maybe at the back of the mower bay and like 8x8? maybe 9x9? so 64-100 sqft.

Then pool stuff storage....maybe next to the bathroom and 6x8-10? or 48-60 sqft?

that is about 1000sqft which is about 25X40 I guess....adding the lengths. its 20+9+8=37 leaving only room for a hall/door at the end which is silly. hmmmmm.....maybe 28x36 and make the shop 16X36 which is about what I was thinking I'd have in the basement remodel that I posted below. That's if it stays a rectangle which is cheapest.

hmmmmmmm..........

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:30 pm 

I found an online garage planing tool that seems to work pretty well for a shell, it does nothing else but for the shell it seems good.
http://www.bighammer.com/garage-designer.aspx

After that paint can add other thoughts and here's wereI am. I'm thinking just close off space for a powder room and give it a door from the shop and outside for pool use....shop sink just outside so plumbing is easy and I'm not messing up the powderroom sink. Open inside is easy and the most veritile...and easy. I also went with a single do0r again thinging versitile. 28' trusses were not much more than 24', like $85 vs $75 so I went 28x36 but this weekend I'll take a tape measure and see what fits....

Attachments:
28x36 layout.JPG
28x36 layout.JPG [ 107.97 KiB | Viewed 33923 times ]
28x36 3D.JPG
28x36 3D.JPG [ 39.29 KiB | Viewed 33923 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:22 pm 

So the plan is tuck it in kind of like this....not sure I have things scaled exactly right but it should be close. This puts the bay door in line-ish with the driveway and the powder room just off the patio so with a few little landscaping changes you see a pool house from the patio and a garage from the driveway.....at least in theory.

Attachments:
yard small.jpg
yard small.jpg [ 207.83 KiB | Viewed 33922 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:22 pm 

So I'm learning my town/county/state has put in a bunch of requirements in the last few years to increase costs. We now need 2 sets of stamped plans where it used to be just a sktech that had dimensions and said standard practice per code. So I need to hunt up plans that are close enough I guess...I'll call around but normally is 5-10% of the project cost for custom. Appearently the all the pole buildings caused this, they don't follow normal code and rather than apply to just that they took the opportunity to hit everyone.

Also we are now only allowed to add 1000 sqft of nonpermeable stuff after 2013. 1000-2000 sqft Ican design the catch system but it must be approve by the twon engineer and I need to pay per hour so staying uned 1000 would be best and they count any roof overhangs. So a 28x36 is over, 28x33 wiht 1 ft overhang on the sides is just under....so 28x32 probably and I can't have an actual driveway running to it.....unless I build a catch system.

Yuck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:18 pm 

I might have some help for you, ages ago when I started out in engineering I did architectural design, started with commercial then into DoD focusing on 'hardening' sites. That then transitioned into other fun projects and more schooling (education) as the need for architectural engineers wasn't very high, that and it was no where near as exciting as special weapons projects :ugeek: :shock: :D

I've got a bunch of engineering std's and basic plans I could probably throw your way to get you started. You'll still need a licensed structural engineer to review and stamp per your local codes etc.. But it may help with some of the std dwg stuff. I did a basic layout for Nick a couple yrs ago for an addition to their house, they then took it to a local structural engineer who made additions changes etc.. to get permits.

I'll be upfront and honest that I'm not really interested in drawing up a bunch of plans & details as that is time consuming and I'm slammed with projects, but I can send you some basic prints, details etc.. that would get you started.

What about temp buildings? do they have a footprint restriction? say you have 2k+ sq/ft patio.... and a rolling shed that just happens to cover that area? aka building on skids..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:33 am 

Remember this a a garge Scott.....probably 24"x8" footer, 8" block up to grade the drop to 6", 2x6 or 24cl walls for insulation valve, trusses on 24cl....done. I found that online tool that draws is and calculates all the materials...but now that it needs a stamp its not a lot of help. I had found an online place that supplied stamped drawings but they were expensive so I moved on, I need to dig it back up and also call a couple local places, they may have a garage rate since its virtually no work at all.

Stuff like this just pisses me off because its a waste of everyone's time and money...something like over 1/2 the states you can build a house with nothing stamped so if it was a real problem the news would be filled with stories babies killed in collapsing houses but they aren't so its a mostly made up issue. My 1st house was build in 1929 and the 2nd floor had 4x4 floor joists...the floor bounced a bit but it had been there since 1929 so clearly it was perfectly safe.

So that will add about $500 to the bill but at least I'll feel safe :roll:

The water management is basically a pit full of graven with a pipe from the gutters running into it. I could dig it while I have the backhoe on site for the foundation, a few hundred for gravel, another few hundred for pipe and fabric and probably another few hundred for the town engineer...who I've met and have little respect for her abilities. So $1000 extra and a couple days work if I go over 1000sqft, including overhangs....that is a lot of extra money above that about $500 for 36 vs 32 feet costs in material but it would allow a driveway too so I'll need to ponder that. At least this requirement I do understand the need for...but I still wish I'd build pre 2013 when thus took effect and I now understand what our neighbor were on about when they build there pool last year, patios didn't need anything but a strong back to build when I put mine in in 2007.

We'll see..funding to $10k was conditionally approved yesterday and she knows that means 15k ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:19 pm 

It occurred to me that I'd guess the odds of the inspector actually measuring my garage foot print are pretty low......and I'm not very good with a tape measure so I could see how a 28x32 permit could easily turn into a 28x36 structure by mistake :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next