gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:23 pm 

I'm doing a project for a friend of mine with a 45 foot boat with twin diesel engines. Its a stainless exhaust piece that bolts to the cast iron exhaust mainifold on the engine and has a water injection point where cooling sea water is mixed into the exhaust and routed out the back of the boat. This is about a 15 inch long piece of 3.5" dia(.125" wall) stainless tubing welded to a flange that bolts to the cast iron on the engine end and has a rubber coupling on the other end routing the exhaust out of the boat.

Looking for a recomendation of what type of stainless I should use? Leaning towards 316 and any special welding procedures or stress relief I should be considering?

My thought being it must not get all that hot being it has a rubber coupling on the one end? Any thoughts or advice?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:30 pm 

321 SS is good too. And yeah, it doesn't get too hot at the back end if it's coupled to rubber, but may be significantly hotter at the front due to evaporative cooling from the seawater. Diesel exhaust is also generally lower temp than gasoline exhaust as diesels operate unthrottled and run more boost on leaner mixtures over most of the load map than gasoline engines do.

Salt water + exhaust gas is not a fun combo for any metal, though, so throw everything you have at it for corrosion resistance. Can you do titanium? :shock: :lol:

Profile Send private message