gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:54 pm 

By now I am 14 going on 15, no idea there was a such a thing as carb cleaner, or soaking..

New York streets in the 60's were an invaluable source of auto parts, you could view so many abandoned cars you knew what and where you could access on the street. No need to go to any parts stores.

For many days I walked past an intact but obviously abandoned Ford Taunus, yep German Ford, looked like a miniature 55 Ford. Somehow I got this thing into my home garage, and since no one knew what it was, it stayed intact and had not been stripped. It had been parked near a development of Garden Apartments built for U.N. delegates and families to live in a suburban environment. I found addresses in the glove box and wrote the embassy to see if they would send me the registration (no titles in those days). I was naive expecting a response... anyway I got it running, it had a 3 speed on the column, and my experience was limited to going up and down the driveway. I now had a real car to practice my awesome mechanical skills. I began with seeing what was behind the wheels, and fiddled with some nipple looking things, and after my dad took a trip down the driveway without brakes I realized air was not a friend to the brake system. Fortunately he didn't hit anything on his hairy ride the wrong way down a major thoroughfare. I'm not sure if he began questioning my mechanical skills.
Since whatever embassy didn't respond I pulled the engine and transmission from the car and set it up on a wooden stand complete with radiator attached. I would run it and enjoy the vibrating ground and 2 foot flames coming out of the short exhaust pipe. I also decided I would look inside it and removed the cylinder head. Then I reassembled it with the same parts and continued to enjoy disturbing the neighbors..
Finally the Taunus was sent to a junk yard (remember no papers), only being taken because I assured the guy that the engine was perfect. Needless to say, he sold the engine which was pretty rare and made sure to let me know he had to refund the buyer, because the head gasket blew.

I may be boring you but I'm sure by now you get the drift of where these stories may be going. At this point in my life I didn't even have a drivers license.

Profile Send private message