gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:31 pm 

The Fiat 500 went to a good home to a young lady in Brooklyn, it was about as sorted as it could ever be, and I did ask her if she a mechanically savvy boyfriend.

I had purchased a RED 1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1300 Spyder from a neighbor of a friend of mine. It was a disassembled project due to some kind of engine problem so the cylinder head was in the trunk. The rest of the car was beautiful, nice black leather interior but needing a new top. I figured the local Alfa dealer could put it back together for me. Of course Frank the Service Manager made me an offer I couldn't refuse...$1000 to put the 1300 cc engine back together, or install a 1600 cc Giulia motor he just happened to have available for $500. Well I would soon have one of the only Giulietta's with a Giulia engine under the hood. But there were a few anomalies, but with my skills and mechanical prowess I accepted all challenges.
The Giulietta's were + ground cars, (did the Italians think they were British?) and the Giulia's were - ground.So my task as to insulate the white knob AM Motorola radio so it had a + chassis and - power. IT FRIED !
However I did manage to install the new convertible top which I purchased from a local manufacturer walking distance from my house. (How lucky is that..) Mom was a seamstress so she had to sew it on the rear bottom bow. The top was a gorgeous texture with a nice thick backing that was also insulation.
It was 1967 and I had a sharp and reliable 1960 Alfa convertible that cost me less than $1000...life was good.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:31 am 

I think you may be making the mistake of clicking on new topic instead of "Post reply" You keep starting new threads or at least it appears that way on my screen?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:09 am 

kkrace wrote:
I think you may be making the mistake of clicking on new topic instead of "Post reply" You keep starting new threads or at least it appears that way on my screen?

I'm thinking about a section for "Learning project" to collect up projects/stories like these.....I have a few myself :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:18 pm 

I guess you guys are right...but each story is unique...by the way the garage door works fine with the
automatic opener...I will stack the 308GT4 over the 550 and improvise or buy some drip pans to prevent
adding another Lesson to my diatribe....

Sometimes "you don't know what you know you know, until you know you know it..."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:52 pm 

Use as many threads as you want! It makes no difference unless you want to keep them linked somehow.

I was just thinking threads like yours and the one I just added to the list might make a nice section of there own.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:30 pm 

I remember being 19 and installing a negative ground Audiovox am fm cassette player in my positive ground 62 Jag FHC. (I still have it at 54)
I must have gone through 2 rolls of black electrical tape and 35 fuses, but I eventually got it working long enough to cruise around in. It had this really annoying habit of occasionally blowing a fuse for seemingly no reason. Usually while I was jamming to a fast song.
Eventually I determined it only blew the fuse in the middle of a fast left hand corner.
That had me stumped for weeks until one day it was real quiet as I had the radio turned down while going through a hard corner. I heard the 25 amp fuse blow out hard with a snap, and I looked down at the right time.
My positively grounded key ring in the ignition switch above the radio had some long dangly stuff that if everything was just right, would swing way over from cornering forces and touch the radio knob, blowing the fuse.
It was an Ah HA! moment, but I had also created my very own primitive g-meter.
You could now measure your corning performance by if you blew a fuse, or not.
The game now became; If you didn't blow the fuse, you weren't going fast enough.
The beautiful solution was to simply shorten my key ring.
:D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:05 pm 

Nice to know I am not alone!!!
Nowadays Duct Tape maybe the solution to many problems...