gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:09 pm 

Some time back I made a $100 donation...I mean put a $100 deposit on an Elio. Well, they now have an engine, as in 1 engine (I'm pretty sure) which is 1 more than I have but there's is I think a 900cc, 55hp, 3 cylinder 2valve so they need 17 by hp, 8 by valve count, 6 by displacemnt, 4 by cylinder count so I think I'm still winning :)

Hopefully they'll get into production and I'll get one.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13011720 ... en=RSSFeed

"Elio Motors Becomes First Start-up Vehicle Manufacturer To Build Engine From The Ground Up In 60 Years; Engine To Debut At Media Event Feb. 6...."

Attachments:
Elio engine.JPG
Elio engine.JPG [ 23.25 KiB | Viewed 10219 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:38 pm 

Notice too that while they say the engine is done, the intake and exhaust are clearly 1 one fab jobs and I see quite a few billet parts so by done they mean they are far enough along with the design to build a prototype.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:02 pm 

They have a lot of money spent. They also have a lot more to spend yet :o Price alone for an intake manifold hot core box is enough to makes ones toes curl pricewise. If numbers are 1000 or lower then sticking to weldments may be the way to go on manifolds.

How many do they plan on making?

Looks interesting, was it a type of Kickstarter fundraiser?(kind of thing)

Brian,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:05 am 

They are planning to sell 250k/yr at a retail price of $6800 so even pennies matter. They bought a closed GM plant and keep saying they are about ready to production...but they have WAY too little money. They need $230M and have about $30M so they are looking for a $185M loan from the US gov under the same gov program that Tesla used to get started.

Part of the $30M they have came fro pre-sales similar to the kickstarer model. They have taken 38,408 orders so far, I'm about #25k. They have 100-1000 levels in refundable or "all in" and the first deliveries will be based on you level. I did $100 all in and got a T shirt :) ....but I strongly suspect that is all I'll ever get :(