gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Busted VW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:34 pm 

Hmmmm, very interesting. That's a good question.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:44 pm 

Sounds like witchcraft to me.......how the heck do they not have cam tools in this day and age

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:39 pm 

Which craft is that? :P

I can't believe VAG doesn't have any cam tools for that engine.

When I did the timing belt on the aforementioned V6 Audi, I had to install a locking pin through the side of the block and into the crank to hold the crank in the correct orientation, as well as clamp tools to hold the cams in the correct orientation, AND tools to reset the position of the variable cam sprocket as well as set the tension on the belt. Feh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:47 pm 

mk e wrote:
But I still don' see how the hell it was running 3/4 good if the cams were actually 100 degrees out of time?

The answer is of course that it couldn't.

The crank gear mount is made similar to the damper mount only not quite as positively keyed....and it was wrong. I never removed it or turned the crank without the damper bolt in place....but it was WAY wrong. The wobble in the damper was caused by wobble in the gear it bolts to and the vibration in the engine was the balance shafts all out of time and the low power was the cams out about 10-15 degrees because what I thought must be the timing mark because it was the only thing close when the engine was at TDC simply wasn't.

I'll clean everything up and see if I can get it back were it belongs and be done with it.

Attachments:
VW timing2.JPG
VW timing2.JPG [ 50.61 KiB | Viewed 13163 times ]
2015-07-11 001.JPG
2015-07-11 001.JPG [ 220.95 KiB | Viewed 13163 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:24 am 

Everything in there was mis-timed......I suspect VW doesn't actually use the marks they use a jig of some kind. It strong and smooth again so so thats all fixed.....but its missing below 1000rpm, idle is 800rpm and that makes the computer angry. I'm thinking small air leak somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:32 am 

I had it out for a 20 mile drive yesterday and it drive nice....no hint of any kind of problem but when I pulled back into the driveway and let it sit at idle I still get a flashing check engine light for cylinder 1 misfire. Yesterday when I first fired it up I was getting random cylinder misfire, cylinder 1 misfires, cylinder 2 misfires ( though less than cylinder 1), and 1 recorded cylinder 3 misfire. After sleeping on it I'm going to cross my fingers and invest $20 to change the plugs and see what happens thinking I just gas fouled the plugs and they've got 80k miles on them so they're about due anyway. I really want this think out of the shop......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:50 pm 

Plugs did nothing.

Code:
cyl  compression      leak-down
          psi               %@90psi(cold)
1        65                   10
2        80                    6
3      150                    8
4      155                   10

Odd that the leak-down isn't worse on the low compression cylinders and odd the problem is with 1&2 which only had 1 bent valve each...... but I guess it's got to come back apart. I hate this engine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:49 am 

mk e wrote:

Odd that the leak-down isn't worse on the low compression cylinders and odd the problem is with 1&2 which only had 1 bent valve each...... but I guess it's got to come back apart. I hate this engine.

After sleeping on it...I think the cam adjuster is stuck. None of the leak-downs are great but to have 1/3 the compression the leak-down have to be different if the issue bent of leaking parts. Cylinder 1&2 have different cam lobes than 3&4 giving them more duration. The engine runs great out on the road, pulls strong to red line there is just nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell....yet it's got silly low compression of 2 cylinders.....

I'm leaning to the intake cam actuator is stuck in the high rpm position or like the I found everywhere else stuff is put together in a way that the timing marks are simply wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:11 pm 

This wouldn't be the first VW engine where the timing marks were more of a suggestion. People have done the timing chains and guides on the 24v VR6 and they've had marks that were off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:56 am 

mycarsux wrote:
This wouldn't be the first VW engine where the timing marks were more of a suggestion. People have done the timing chains and guides on the 24v VR6 and they've had marks that were off.

I don't feel quite as crazy any more :)

Last night I got a little time to start pulling things apart and I'm pretty sure I heard the intake cam adjusted pop and move supporting the idea it was stuck. Hopefully I can find the cause and get it sorted this weekend....I miss the ferrari.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next