gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:53 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
We mentioned Line2Line before... they just too expensive or not right for the application?

Edit: You can apply a coating to both the block and the liner. 0.0005 thick coating will give you 0.002 on the diameter once you spray it on the OD of the liner and the ID of the block bore.

Yes, that calculation had occurred to me and is mostly why I'm still hopeful :ugeek:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:58 am 

mk e wrote:
I'm afraid the rough surface could damage the block creating even more work...it may be a nonsensical concern but that is what I'm worried about there.

It's your block, it's your worries that matter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:24 pm 

You could always machine them after you knurl them? How expensive is it to Teflon coat them the way they do pistons? The only problem is Teflon cold flows so it might only be a temp fix?

I think the problem with epoxy paint might be the same as fiberglass resin and many other thermo/chemical reactions. I suspect like fiberglass resin that air inhibits the cure. The very top surface exposed to the air never cures completely. When I do fiberglass work or even bondo I often cover with plastic wrap during curing. Serves two purposes, I can smooth it out some with my bare hands while its still workable but also the surface is rock hard when I remove the plastic wrap and doesn't clog up the sandpaper immediately like it does if I don't cover it air tight.

With the paint you might have to put it on fairly thick and then after it cures machine it down to fit? I don't have much experience with the 2 part epoxy paint so I'm just pulling this out of my ass.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:56 am 

kkrace wrote:

With the paint you might have to put it on fairly thick and then after it cures machine it down to fit? I don't have much experience with the 2 part epoxy paint so I'm just pulling this out of my ass.

That is what I did. Not because I was scared about curing but it was just easier to paint plenty and sand them in the lathe. The paint was for sure dry and hard at that time and sanding produce power with nothing sticking to the sand paper.

Knurling is very uncontrolledly so yeah it would have to be spun and sanded to size which would take the shaper edges off...I sand most everything I've been asked to knurl over the years so tools don't cut your hands and shafts press in without gouging as it goes...and that is my fear here. raising the surface 1 thou is a very light knurl which means that (after its smoothed) there might be 5-10% of the surface area contacting the block...there shouldn't be much force there but it scares me a bit that it will beat itself into the walls of the block over time.

You are the second person to suggest a piston coating material....it probably would work and will be on the to-try list once I look at a few easier to do options.

The graphite spray is here so I need to spray some on something and see what it does.....that and get all the liners out and cleaned up but other things continue to interfere. Yesterday my son's newish mountain bike got a flat, easy enough to pop apart but I have no way to put air into whatever the heck valve is on it so its sitting on the bench waiting a trip to the bike store today....which I'm told is near a nice kitchen cabinet store to look for something for the basement wet bar.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:04 am 

Is it a "presta" valve?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:40 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Is it a "presta" valve?

I'm told it is...I send my son to figure it out since its his bike and that is the word he came back with...so we need to go to the bike store as that is the only place to find them.....and then I tuned out when the conversation turned to switching to tubeless tires for a couple hundred bucks instead of a patch which is free because I have it on the shelf.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:56 am 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Is it a "presta" valve?

I'm told it is...I send my son to figure it out since its his bike and that is the word he came back with...so we need to go to the bike store as that is the only place to find them.....and then I tuned out when the conversation turned to switching to tubeless tires for a couple hundred bucks instead of a patch which is free because I have it on the shelf.

FYI - you can get spin-on Schrader adapters for Presta valves for just a couple of bucks each. You can leave them on the bike and top up with a normal Schrader source, or you can spin them on to top up and then spin them off.

IMO the best approach is to have a decent floor pump with a "smart head" that can handle both valve types.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:58 am 

mk e wrote:
You are the second person to suggest a piston coating material....it probably would work and will be on the to-try list once I look at a few easier to do options.

I'm not a coater, but I don't believe this will work. Those coatings are considered sacrificial and aren't accounted for when fitting pistons to bores. I think it would be a mistake to hope for any kind of dimensional stability from them.

What about knurling the ID of the bores in the block to get the fit you want from the sleeves? That would keep the harder iron sleeves from chewing into the Al block.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:30 pm 

Syscrush wrote:
IMO the best approach is to have a decent floor pump with a "smart head" that can handle both valve types.

Or just buy F@#$%ing 'Murican tubes in the first place. European wankers with weird valves... sheesh. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:49 am 

I have an used but good Presta (only) hose end somewhere that I don't need. If I can lay hands on it quickly you are welcome to it if you PM my your mailing address. I seem to recall that it has a 1/4"-ish barbed fitting on it, but whatever it's got I somehow feel certain that you and your son will have no problem getting it attached to a hose! Optionally, text our mutual friend (the guy with the oil pan) and ask him to text it to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 220  Next