gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:36 am 

Thank you all fore the presta info. I now have a screw on adapter for compressor in my tool box and my son a hand pump to mount on his bike. While at the bike store the bigger discussions were around CO2 canister inflation (that was a no from my...CO2 leaks though rubber pretty fast) rather than a pump and switching to a tubeless setup as the wheel are already tubeless ready....but since the tires are not we decided to make that change when its time for new tires.

The store gave us the wrong size tube and we didn't notice until we got home and they were closed (remember there was a kitchen store stop or 2 along the way) so we patched the hole....if fact we patched it 3 times before realizing it was 2 holes about 1/2" apart so the second kept looking like a leaking patch :lol: When I checked the other tire and found near 0 psi it led to a good discussion about how low tire pressure is great for grip on some surfaces but but will let the tube get pitched and cut on the rim particularly on a rocky trail like everywhere here in PA. Lesson learned I hope.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:56 pm 

mk e wrote:
Thank you all fore the presta info. I now have a screw on adapter for compressor in my tool box and my son a hand pump to mount on his bike. While at the bike store the bigger discussions were around CO2 canister inflation (that was a no from my...CO2 leaks though rubber pretty fast) rather than a pump and switching to a tubeless setup as the wheel are already tubeless ready....but since the tires are not we decided to make that change when its time for new tires.

The store gave us the wrong size tube and we didn't notice until we got home and they were closed (remember there was a kitchen store stop or 2 along the way) so we patched the hole....if fact we patched it 3 times before realizing it was 2 holes about 1/2" apart so the second kept looking like a leaking patch :lol: When I checked the other tire and found near 0 psi it led to a good discussion about how low tire pressure is great for grip on some surfaces but but will let the tube get pitched and cut on the rim particularly on a rocky trail like everywhere here in PA. Lesson learned I hope.

Yup. That's called a "snakebite" puncture by many or most cyclists and low TP is often the underlying cause. The hand pump is better than CO2 for most simply because you can't run out of cartridges 20+ miles from home. Also, an on-board patch kit and tire levers are essential unless you son really, really likes to walk. A spare tube is good to have just in case you can't find shelter to patch a tube in the rain. Finally, I might be old fashioned but tubeless bike tires just sound like more opportunities for leaks for spoked wheels. (I used to ride a lot.)

I found that Presta chuck in case you wanted it, but it can go back in the box where it's patiently been waiting to be used for 15+ years now. It's even made in Italy, but it doesn't say "Ferrari" on it. Must be why you didn't want it. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:06 am 

n2zon wrote:
Finally, I might be old fashioned but tubeless bike tires just sound like more opportunities for leaks for spoked wheels. (I used to ride a lot.)

This concern is understandable, but it doesn't line up with the real-world experience with properly set up tubeless wheels. All of my bikes are still on tubes, but by all accounts tubeless hold air better in basically all circumstances.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:30 am 

n2zon wrote:
I found that Presta chuck in case you wanted it, but it can go back in the box where it's patiently been waiting to be used for 15+ years now. It's even made in Italy, but it doesn't say "Ferrari" on it. Must be why you didn't want it. ;-)

Its a very kind offer, thank you but "gearing up" seems to be my son's favorite parts of any activity so he's been shopping and I think has already bought one of just about everything :o The other day he returned the pump we bought Sunday and replaced it with one that had a pump, gage, CO2 capable, some kind of magnetic attached hose that hides in the handle and a set of tire paddles that turned into pliers to hold the chain while you install a new master ling they carry....I smile and shook my head but he just love that stuff....kids and there toys, which should not be confuse with cars and silly engines :lol:

Speaking of gearing up, the bearings are here as are all the sealants and spray lubes....I need to find some time to hit the shop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:55 pm 

What about Loctite 660? I have a small tube at home ready to be used in a bearing on an old drill press as recommended by the custom bearing supplier. Here's a description:

LOCTITE 660 is a high strength retaining compound with good gap filling properties, ideal for repairing worn-out seats, keys, splines, bearings or tapers without remachining.
LOCTITE® 660 is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts, particularly where bond gaps occurs without the need for remachining. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration. LOCTITE 660 exhibits excellent gap cure characteristics and is also suitable for retaining shims.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/ ... e_660.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:58 am 

GirchyGirchy wrote:
What about Loctite 660? I have a small tube at home ready to be used in a bearing on an old drill press as recommended by the custom bearing supplier. Here's a description:

LOCTITE 660 is a high strength retaining compound with good gap filling properties, ideal for repairing worn-out seats, keys, splines, bearings or tapers without remachining.
LOCTITE® 660 is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts, particularly where bond gaps occurs without the need for remachining. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration. LOCTITE 660 exhibits excellent gap cure characteristics and is also suitable for retaining shims.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/ ... e_660.html

Welcome, I approved you so now your posts will come right through.....setting up new users to require approval is the only way I've been able stop the (mostly russian) spammers

I've used that stuff and it does work quite well for gluing in bearings but the issue here is that the cylinders are locked on top at the deck then are supposed to float up/down in the block to allow expansion/contraction so glue is bad and why I'm concerned that the paint has bonded to the block.

As a general update I'm a bit trapped in the basement again...Lana finished up what she was doing so its back to me to install trim so I'll be there at least through this weekend and mostly next as well. I guess I''' report out the other glue failure...the durabond I used to make a cheap raised panel door flat all popped off as the cheap paper door expanded with the summer humidity so I'm trying plain old general purpose mud and its mostly ready to reinstall with new hidden hinges as the piano hinges I thought would be great failed the final quality control visual inspection :cry:

There is still a bar to build too but cabinets haven't been picked out yet so nothing really to do there until they are bought and arrive other than assemble the V12 that is :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:36 am 

The hidden hinges didn't exactly go to plan and is currently quite a mess but I found a use for all the jbweld I bought but didn't work on the cylinder project and hopefully its the answer here so I can move on.....I kind of had a plan I'd be done with trim and paint and back to the shop by the weekend but that is looking unlikely now :(

Attachments:
20220801_082854.jpg
20220801_082854.jpg [ 252.44 KiB | Viewed 4795 times ]
20220801_082849.jpg
20220801_082849.jpg [ 287.23 KiB | Viewed 4795 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:28 am 

Just popped in to say HOLA!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:52 am 

Pizzaman wrote:
Just popped in to say HOLA!

We miss ya!

Still got the car?

Still the king of pizza?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:40 am 

A quick update...last weekend's basement work was a bit delayed with planning for next step work (designing the bar space) but last night I finally started painting molding which will wrap up tomorrow at at latest.

....so right now this weekend is looking like engine work. :!:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 220  Next