gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 221  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:38 pm 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
:cry: That's harsh.

Do you have another? Do you have to get an entire transmission to get one?

its a set of 3, all trashed. One I had modified so that will need to be repeated too. Before I buy anything I need to take a look inside the the trans to be sure its limited to the drop gears.

I have a new head gasket plan too. I'm thinking copper flame ring with an oring around it to seal the water out of the cylinders, then alum sheet with sealant for the rest

Of course both other drop gears are trash... I was just typing fast. and multi-tasking.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:26 am 

painful setback in money and time. Might explain some of the vibration issues .New head gasket approach has merit will be interesting to see if sealer left tracks on where leaking .
The good news is that you have a good handle on tuning and the engine is meeting or exceeding power expectations .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:18 am 

dcd215 wrote:
painful setback in money and time. Might explain some of the vibration issues .New head gasket approach has merit will be interesting to see if sealer left tracks on where leaking .
The good news is that you have a good handle on tuning and the engine is meeting or exceeding power expectations .

Explains the whining for sure. I'm hoping not to find more of the same in the trans...I didn't have it in me to look yesterday. Assuming the trans is good the biggest issue is the lower gear needs to be wire EDM cut and I no longer have access to one of those. Stupid, stupid mistake.

But yes is was great to hear it running well and go for a few trips around the block after all these years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:41 am 

mk e wrote:
Assuming the trans is good the biggest issue is the lower gear needs to be wire EDM cut and I no longer have access to one of those. Stupid, stupid mistake.

I can get it wire EDM'd but it won't be free. Have a drawing of what needs to be done?
Maybe do two and put one on the shelf in cosmoline?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:56 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

I can get it wire EDM'd but it won't be free. Have a drawing of what needs to be done?

I do have a hardcopy drawing, not sure where the efile's gone too, but I can redraw it from the paper. I've never had any EDM for money work done but I know its a few hours on the machine so I'm terrified....much less pay for 2 :o

I'm going to spend a couple days thinking about the design. I never loved it but I wasn't sure what else to do....but now is a good time to give it another think

Attachment:
lower gear.jpg
lower gear.jpg [ 50.13 KiB | Viewed 1639 times ]

I dropped the trans pan and while the bottom of the pan looks awful, up inside looks just fine as far as I can see.

Attachments:
trans pan.jpg
trans pan.jpg [ 241.67 KiB | Viewed 1639 times ]
trans gears.jpg
trans gears.jpg [ 169.56 KiB | Viewed 1639 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:19 pm 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

I do have a hardcopy drawing, not sure where the efile's gone too, but I can redraw it from the paper. I've never had any EDM for money work done but I know its a few hours on the machine so I'm terrified....much less pay for 2 :o

I'm going to spend a couple days thinking about the design. I never loved it but I wasn't sure what else to do....but now is a good time to give it another think

Get me a drawing or model and I'll send it to be quoted.

Do you have a photo or drawing of what the part was like originally? They'll need some indication of what Ferrari cut and what they'll need to cut.

I haven't had EDM work done there, but my dad's worked for the shop owner for years. I had them turn some housings for spherical bearings with +/-0.0002" tolerance on the bearing bore and the prices were reasonable.

mk e wrote:
I dropped the trans pan and while the bottom of the pan looks awful, up inside looks just fine as far as I can see.

Great to hear!

Edit: Maybe you need a trash magnet in the pan?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:20 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

Get me a drawing or model and I'll send it to be quoted.

Do you have a photo or drawing of what the part was like originally? They'll need some indication of what Ferrari cut and what they'll need to cut.

I haven't had EDM work done there, but my dad's worked for the shop owner for years. I had them turn some housings for spherical bearings with +/-0.0002" tolerance on the bearing bore and the prices were reasonable.

The guy who did the first setup had an advantage...1 EDM program made both pqrts by just changing the direction of the wire offset so they pretty much had to fit perfectly

The stock gear looks like this
Attachment:
clutch gear.jpg
clutch gear.jpg [ 37.34 KiB | Viewed 1598 times ]

Just bought a set, hopefully they are as nice as he says.

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

Edit: Maybe you need a trash magnet in the pan?

It has a magnetic drain plug....only just so much it can hold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:52 am 

mk e wrote:

mk e wrote:
The guy who did the first setup had an advantage...1 EDM program made both pqrts by just changing the direction of the wire offset so they pretty much had to fit perfectly

The stock gear looks like this

Just bought a set, hopefully they are as nice as he says.

What's the other part? New hub on the transmission shaft?
I guess if the drop gears were intended to be a reduction, then the trans input shaft would be bigger than the clutch output shaft.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:34 pm 

Also on the to-do list is stuff like make the air box and fit the deck lid so I can actually drive. I should probably move the coil to let more air flow up the rear firewall, wrapping the headers made a huge different but its still a concern....I'm think I'll just slide them up over teh cam cover near the TBs and let the airbox hide them. Put the rest of the interior back together. Suspension bushings. Steering rack is leaking and I now understand oil is important. A lot to do but first I need to straighten up the shop a bit, its a frikin mess

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:42 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

What's the other part? New hub on the transmission shaft?
I guess if the drop gears were intended to be a reduction, then the trans input shaft would be bigger than the clutch output shaft.

like this. The trans input shaft needs to be extended and the clutch shaft shortened so as long as I had to do that I decided to move the clutch gear to the trans, so the adapter bolts as normal to the trans and the clutch gear is splined to the adapter. This is how I changed the gearing by about 24%..it was a 12% way way and I flipped it.

Attachments:
12-28-08 002.jpg
12-28-08 002.jpg [ 138.8 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]
12-27-08 001.jpg
12-27-08 001.jpg [ 153.92 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]
12-27-08 005.jpg
12-27-08 005.jpg [ 157.67 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]
trans gear nut.JPG
trans gear nut.JPG [ 42.46 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]
trans hub.JPG
trans hub.JPG [ 43.62 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]
trans gear mod.JPG
trans gear mod.JPG [ 71.94 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]
trans gear assembly.JPG
trans gear assembly.JPG [ 45.6 KiB | Viewed 1597 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 221  Next