gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 221  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:19 pm 

Any welding involved? I don't see the holes shown in the model on the actual little ring. Will you re-use the hub and ring?

The native surface of the gear needs to be machined in addition to the splines being cut?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:09 am 

I had a similar issue with a v12 308 years ago. The extended drop gear had a tooth missing. I had a new gear made. It wasn't cheap but it was spot on. Your set up is way more complicated than what I had to deal with. The shop that did it is still in business if I can help.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:10 pm 

Here's a dumb/naive question - if EDM is prohibitively expensive today, could the trashed gears be repaired by spray welding to build them up and recutting using a more traditional machining process? Probably not a great idea for gear teeth, but maybe worth considering?

Here's a thread where it's discussed, but that's to repair a cast iron gear - not sure if it applies here or not:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/ ... th.132269/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:15 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Any welding involved? I don't see the holes shown in the model on the actual little ring. Will you re-use the hub and ring?

The native surface of the gear needs to be machined in addition to the splines being cut?

No welding. There is a threaded locking ring that right now I'm hoping is still functional along with the hub.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:21 pm 

MerlinTech wrote:
I had a similar issue with a v12 308 years ago. The extended drop gear had a tooth missing. I had a new gear made. It wasn't cheap but it was spot on. Your set up is way more complicated than what I had to deal with. The shop that did it is still in business if I can help.

Interesting. About the time I started this build there was a guy posting on Fchat under the name AtlantaMan? real name Charles? iirc who was also doing a conversion and talked about having a gear man for his project and another that had broken a gear. Any chance that other car was the one you were working on?

No doubt that is the right way to do this job, I was just always terrified to even ask what that might cost but assumed someday I'd probably need to ask. I think I'm going to see what Will's guy says on the EDM and then decide what other options I should look into

I will likely soon have 4 valve in need of dressing ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:23 pm 

Syscrush wrote:
Here's a dumb/naive question - if EDM is prohibitively expensive today, could the trashed gears be repaired by spray welding to build them up and recutting using a more traditional machining process? Probably not a great idea for gear teeth, but maybe worth considering?

Here's a thread where it's discussed, but that's to repair a cast iron gear - not sure if it applies here or not:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/ ... th.132269/

Spray welding seems like a bad way to go here and would likely be a pretty expensive option as the gears would need to be reground after so I don't think that is on the list of thing I'll Try.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:10 am 

I think I'm going to take this opportunity to change the design on the lower gear extension. I did what I did because its close to what the other V12 conversions did not because I'd really given it much thought. The plane now is to use the gear unmodified and it will bolt to a short shaft tht will ride in a pair of tapered roller bearings and will drive the transmission using interlocking fingers or dogs to a match piece bolted to the end of the trans shaft which I can probably make from the gear hub I already have. It will maybe make more sense once I draw it better

Attachments:
20221213_070950.jpg
20221213_070950.jpg [ 523.22 KiB | Viewed 2036 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:46 pm 

Got a question on the new head gasket approach : why viton orings versus a sealant like curil T ?The copper flame rings should do the heavy lifting (sealing ) .I have used Curil Tin the past and it was pretty good stuff .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:48 pm 

dcd215 wrote:
Got a question on the new head gasket approach : why viton orings versus a sealant like curil T ?The copper flame rings should do the heavy lifting (sealing ) .I have used Curil Tin the past and it was pretty good stuff .

This is the first I've heard of Curil T, looks like good stuff. I've been using aviation sealant which I think is similar but much older and not having a lot of luck so the orings are meant as a security blanket. I really don't know why coolant keeps leaking but I know orings seal well and are quite forgiving when parts are moving around so they are mostly about hope I guess.

I might go ahead and try the Curil T on the copper rings too though rather than the aviation sealant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:31 pm 

I would be trying to use existing off the shelf pieces as much as possible. Maybe look into some of the racing gear sets from Jerico or Hewland and weld them to a shaft or adapter hub rather than making gears from scratch? Even if you end up having to EDM out the center it would be better than trying to cut your own gear I would think? Might be a little quieter too?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 221  Next