gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 221  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:15 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
drhex wrote:
Now I am just an armchair commenter but wouldn’t you want to do this in the block with a torque plate installed?

Because that would be complicated, time consuming and awkward... ;)

$1000.00 torque plate, shipping the block to me and back, plus the labor (worse than childbirth).
I like what you are doing. Besides, Ferrari doesn't hone them in the block.
So there is that.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:26 pm 

MerlinTech wrote:
Besides, Ferrari doesn't hone them in the block.
So there is that.

And its that little piece of data I will have to hang on to. And its not just ferrari....I thing all the big diesel stuff is drop in liners too? Its a very different design from most car engines....I don't know....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:50 pm 

In an engine like the Northstar with cast-in-place liners and the head bolts in the outer block walls, the liner is under a compressive load from the head bolts.
In a wet liner engine in which the liners are clamped between the head and block by the lip, and the only static compressive load is the squeeze on the o-ring that keeps coolant out of the crank case, then the liners might not deform much when the head is bolted on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:16 pm 

modified the fixture a bit tonight after measuring and seeing the hand tight was not always ok. So plate off, 6 small screws in, 2 inset a bit to hit the flats to prevent rotation. so that is good.

Today I learned that even with a nice hone too much pressure cuts great and makes wonderful ovals :?

Attachments:
20210208_172045-resized-1024.jpg
20210208_172045-resized-1024.jpg [ 224.28 KiB | Viewed 4616 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:29 pm 

It's a good thing you have a lot of material to remove.
Honing is difficult. Two shops have failed at getting a good finish on my Northstar block. I'll let you know how #3 turns out sometime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:19 am 

I have found it is a delicate procedure for sure. I like the drill motor in hand as I don't have a super fancy Sunnen with all of it's electronics to "feel" taper and out of round. I just have too feel it myself.

Mark, let the hone do the work. Too much pressure does not help or make it go faster. Just steady rhythm. Also, too much pressure and you can not feel the hone when it is in taper or out of round ares. You also don't need a lot of speed in the drill. Steady and smooth. That is the way.

Use the force
Be the hone
:D :D

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:38 am 

Maybe "Wax on, Wax off" is more fitting?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:16 am 

Before, when I was using the side bolts the out of round I saw was aligned with the bolts on top and at 90 deg to them on the bottom....001 up top, .002" bottom.  hand tight worst case was 1/2 that. 

Now with the screws  its at 45 to the ears.....which this morning has me thinking I need to remove the cylinder and recheck it as that is suspiciously close to the 2 inset screw I figured would help with rotation.  I also need to replace the kerosene/oil mix I'm using because the smell on me and my cloths was been deemed unacceptable and may lean to my house access being revoked...Lana is going to review the other 2 options (mineral spirits and oil, WD-40) and and decide which one I like best  :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:43 am 

mk e wrote:
Before, when I was using the side bolts the out of round I saw was aligned with the bolts on top and at 90 deg to them on the bottom....001 up top, .002" bottom.  hand tight worst case was 1/2 that. 

Now with the screws  its at 45 to the ears.....which this morning has me thinking I need to remove the cylinder and recheck it as that is suspiciously close to the 2 inset screw I figured would help with rotation.  I also need to replace the kerosene/oil mix I'm using because the smell on me and my cloths was been deemed unacceptable and may lean to my house access being revoked...Lana is going to review the other 2 options (mineral spirits and oil, WD-40) and and decide which one I like best  :?

Invest in some actual honing oil. It will help a great deal with the process. Doesn't smell bad either.
https://goodson.com/collections/grindin ... honing-oil
A gallon should do it. Maybe two?

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:44 pm 

MerlinTech wrote:
Invest in some actual honing oil. It will help a great deal with the process. Doesn't smell bad either.
https://goodson.com/collections/grindin ... honing-oil
A gallon should do it. Maybe two?

Ordered some.

I also ordered another set of 70 and 150 stones. I'm certain the 70s are glazed and that is why I'd been honing the same cylinder for hours. I switched to the 150grit set and 20-30 minutes later is was ready for 280. I left it sit over night and will measure again today to be sure but its probably done. The shoes on the 150 set just seem kind of loose compared to the the way 70 and 280 sets fit the bore and acted so I ordered a new set of150s too just to be sure and upgraded to 2nd day shipping to keep things moving but I think al it looking well at the moment.

Edit - forgot, I moved the 2 insert screw out away from the flat area....that was in fact causing the out of round I saw the day before. The stones were cutting stupid slow, I used more pressure, that slightly rotated the cylinder into the screw which acted like a little wedge. Removed the screw, cylinder was mostly round again because the stones were cutting so slow not much harm done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 221  Next