gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:46 pm 

Do you find it interesting how you can feel the taper and out of round with that hone? I find it very interesting they way you can just work out any issues.
When I was building small race engines, I usually found the second time I did one, the cylinder would be nice and round without taper. I think heat cycles make a difference on those little engines. I spent a lot of time taking friction out of those. At 6 hp, you needed all the help you could find.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:28 pm 

MerlinTech wrote:
Do you find it interesting how you can feel the taper and out of round with that hone? I find it very interesting they way you can just work out any issues.
When I was building small race engines, I usually found the second time I did one, the cylinder would be nice and round without taper. I think heat cycles make a difference on those little engines. I spent a lot of time taking friction out of those. At 6 hp, you needed all the help you could find.

I thought you were jerking my chain but the difference between the 2 hones is night and day.....the out of round is obvious and the sunnen hone removes it. I can for for feel even 5 tenths of out of round but being honest I can only feel taper over 1ish thou. the other thing though is the other hone oversized the top and bottom badly...I'll get some pics but that is my biggest issue, the majority of the cylinder is to size, then the top might be a coupe thou bigger and 70 grit so it ends up 3 over finished.....which leave the rings gapped so a 300hp nitrous shot, just as I planned ;)

seriously though, its a frikin good thing I stitched to a gapless second ring so the largish gap won't real have much effect.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 am 

mk e wrote:
MerlinTech wrote:

I thought you were jerking my chain but the difference between the 2 hones is night and day.....the out of round is obvious and the sunnen hone removes it. I can for for feel even 5 tenths of out of round but being honest I can only feel taper over 1ish thou. the other thing though is the other hone oversized the top and bottom badly...I'll get some pics but that is my biggest issue, the majority of the cylinder is to size, then the top might be a coupe thou bigger and 70 grit so it ends up 3 over finished.....which leave the rings gapped so a 300hp nitrous shot, just as I planned ;)

seriously though, its a frikin good thing I stitched to a gapless second ring so the largish gap won't real have much effect.

Yeah, never jerking your chain. Just trying to help out. I will say, 10 or 12 years ago when I started following this build, I never thought I would be helping.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:43 am 

Probably not the right place to post. But I thought you might like to see it.
This is me on stage during my play. I am the one standing. :lol: :lol:

Attachments:
play.JPG
play.JPG [ 101.44 KiB | Viewed 3680 times ]

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:06 am 

MerlinTech wrote:

Look at you! That all looks quite professional, nice. Everything go ok? does this mean you can now get back to the VW? or has a career change begun? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:10 am 

MerlinTech wrote:

"Hello, Clarice"

:lol:

Looks great! What's the play?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:46 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
MerlinTech wrote:

"Hello, Clarice"

:lol:

Looks great! What's the play?

Ruth, her name is Ruth. The play is Blithe Spirit. It is a British comedy. I play a middle aged author that has a crazy lady perform a seance for research and it accidentally brings his dead 1st wife back.
We have one more run this weekend, and then I am done. I will continue but in smaller roles for a while. This one is 2 1/2 hours and I am off stage maybe 15 minutes. It is a lot to remember. I have really enjoyed it. I am working with people that have years of experience & training and I am told I am really good at this. No plans to change careers but it sure is fun to play in another world.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am 

Congrats Wades!

I have a cousin who spent 4 years as a drama major.....he was in a few community plays and was paid as an extra in a commercial once. I remember asking him what you DO with a drama "degree"? He teaches history in elementary or middle school now I think.

I've noticed no ones ever tells me I'm really good at honing cylinders :lol:

I have 5 right now that are pretty round, straight and nice. They are taking an hours or so each now that I kind of have the hang of I but they aren't size matched yet, I'm leaving them at where ever they clean up and will make a set at the end so I know for sure what worst. It doesn't really matter for the pistons as they can coat to 20 thou I think it is, but the rings would prefer I keep the bores as small as possible....fortunately I decided on gapless so even rings that end up "gapped" for a 400hp nitrous shot should still yield vacuum and cranking compression. This should be the weekend I finish.(knocking on wood)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:12 am 

mk e wrote:
I've noticed no ones ever tells me I'm really good at honing cylinders :lol:

When you get good enough to do this, they will:

https://imgur.com/0aR5pgO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:51 pm 

I'm more like this right now

https://youtu.be/SfLR-igUYzk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 220  Next