gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:10 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Are those 14mm inner studs and 10mm outer studs?

I'm slightly surprised to see aluminum caps, although Ferrari didn't design the engine for the power you'll be making, and there are 7 of them. Of course the Northstar has an aluminum lower crank case, but it's a pretty substantial component.

I guess I'm used to looking at disassembled LS's with Gucci billet steel main caps. The Nissan VR38 has a lower crank case like the Northstar, but has steel inserts cast in place to support the main bearings. Of course that engine is also developing 600+ HP on only 4 mains.

M12 & M8 studs.

Don't know on the caps. This block is a pretty old design but the newer 308 block wasn't a lot different and for sure works fine to 800hp so I have to assume this does to with a couple more bearings.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:18 am 

MerlinTech wrote:
You can drill & tap the cap for a more proper slide hammer removal. I have done that in the past on engines I knew were going to need a lot to work to get straight. Makes taking it apart so much easier.

The machine shop guy wanted to do that because he couldn't get the caps off but I said no thinking the middle of the cap is the absolute worst place to drill a hole. I took them off last night with no issues, just pull in the middle and smack the outside edge with a big rawhide mallet....cap off in 3 or 4 hits. I thought about a clamp I could lock on and use the slidehammer on after the shop guys complaining but it was enough bother knocking them off to make that worth doing I don't think....after the 12th time I may be rethinking that choice though :)

This morning I was looking through the 400 manual for something else and noticed there are 2 tubes under the oil filter housing I'm supposed to remove and replace o-rings on, missed that before....any idea how to extract those?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:48 am 

This morning I was looking through the 400 manual for something else and noticed there are 2 tubes under the oil filter housing I'm supposed to remove and replace o-rings on, missed that before....any idea how to extract those?[/quote]

Can you text me a picture of what you are talking about? I recall there are tubes in the front chest with o-rings. But I am not sure what you are referring to.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:01 am 

MerlinTech wrote:

Can you text me a picture of what you are talking about? I recall there are tubes in the front chest with o-rings. But I am not sure what you are referring to.

here

Attachments:
20210304_065436-resized-1024.jpg
20210304_065436-resized-1024.jpg [ 196.58 KiB | Viewed 4287 times ]
oil tubes.JPG
oil tubes.JPG [ 108.5 KiB | Viewed 4287 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:23 pm 

Expanding collet inside bearing puller. That might work.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:26 pm 

Something like this.

Attachments:
41RnfrRki1L._AC_SL1001_.jpg
41RnfrRki1L._AC_SL1001_.jpg [ 21.02 KiB | Viewed 4284 times ]

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:28 pm 

MerlinTech wrote:
Something like this.

I do have the harbor freight version of that......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:44 pm 

There are versions that are straight rather than tapered as well.

Is there access to the bottom via a long pry bar? Twist it like a screwdriver to start the tubes from their holes?

What do they do anyway? Part of the PCV system?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:47 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

Is there access to the bottom via a long pry bar? Twist it like a screwdriver to start the tubes from their holes?

No access from below.

They take the oil from the pump, through the coolant in the center galley, up to the filters then back through the coolant to the main bearings and such.....you can kind of see that in the pick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:29 pm 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

No access from below.

They take the oil from the pump, through the coolant in the center galley, up to the filters then back through the coolant to the main bearings and such.....you can kind of see that in the pick.

Ahh, ok. From the graphic, it looked like you might have access from the ends of the galleries to get a wedge in under each tube to start it from where it is seated.
I see the main supply passages now... wasn't sure what I was looking at before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 220  Next