gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:39 pm 

Perfection is tough mother. As I do heads I want it all dead on. Sometimes with old heads and old aluminum, you just have to get really close.
Keeps me up at night just thinking about how to get it all dead on the money sometimes.
I guess that is why we do it ourselves and we don't hire it out.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:53 pm 

yeah...my time it free on my projects. I suspect I'd be way less perfection seeking knowing there was bill for the hours headed my way :o

Last time I was so wrapped up in the fabrication and all the how the F'k is this going to work? questions I totally lost sight of the engine build basics. I remember when I first did my H-D roadrace engine I did all the fab work then brought it to my H-D buddy's shop, where it took like 60 more hours or more "just to bolt it together",, and that was really a pretty simple engine, just a pushrod air cooled twin.....60+ hours.. The next rebuild after everything had been checked and double checked the 1st time was more like 10-15 hours iirc.

But yeah....I skipped that step on this engine. This time assembly takes what it takes and hopefully after this its good to go for 100k miles, as in I never have to think about it again cause honestly I'm not sure how much more of this project I can take.....its been a long long time.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:36 pm 

Heads on the barbie made the gms home page

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/your-projects-why-are-those-ferrari-heads-barbecue/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:35 am 

What? All weekend and nothing? Oh well, I hope you are well.
I have survived the Atlanta protest, I am about 40 miles away actually so, nothing for me.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:18 am 

Sorry,, I was just too tired to post :(
i was in a big push to finish up the new walls....Added 4" of height, stone caps, 2 stucco base coats, saturday final top coat and DONE!.....then lana rejected the stucco texture so Sunday was restucco day and really done. I think it came out nice. The stone pavers will be fall or next spring I guess since its starting to get hot and the actual project was the basement so all this has been a distraction. I learned something important about mixing stucco during Sunday's redo....water fist then add dry mix until its the right consistency, never ever add water to a dry mix. I've been using the exact same mix I had the guys put on my garage but my color was much lighter than theirs and I just couldn't understand why so my last guess was Sunday's not a drop more water during the mixing process and this morning it looks like Sunday's mix matches the garage, yay.....until Lana notices and has me restucco the patio. I also put water first but intentionally not enough so I knew I wouldn't end up with a bucket of soup, and just add as I mix...same way I make concrete, mortar, grout....and it always works fine, but not with stucco, at least not with this brand. Live and learn

On the basement I messed up my homedepot order and got a bunch of pressure treated wood instead of plain. Then homedepot messed up and sent 1 piece instead of 20 as a replacement on a truck that couldn't pick up the 20 wrong ones. So June 4 the wood come and back to basement work. Lana says she'll get Mulch here to keep be working until then.

On the engine, waiting on the new intake seats...Everything is setup perfect and I want to leave it that way until the intakes are finished.

Attachments:
20200531_201605-resized-1024.jpg
20200531_201605-resized-1024.jpg [ 341.27 KiB | Viewed 4625 times ]
20200530_151353-resized-1024.jpg
20200530_151353-resized-1024.jpg [ 451.08 KiB | Viewed 4625 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:01 am 

It looks really nice. :)

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:30 am 

You can definitely tell where your time & money is being spent!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:09 am 

Thanks...big change over the past few months.

Attachment:
20200213_170557.jpg
20200213_170557.jpg [ 431.66 KiB | Viewed 4608 times ]

Just got the tracking number of the intake seats, they should be here Thursday.....the same day the wood for the basement ceiling comes which will make focusing on the basement a bit harder. Trying to keep the ceiling as high as possible so the plan is replace the soot filled fiberboard trunk runs that are 10" tall with metal runs that are 8" but the same inside size. Then take the 2x10s and rip them to a true 8" and screw them up to the joists parallel to the new trunks so the drywall goes no flush to the bottom of the trunks....needs a bit more planning and building in the right sequence but it should be nice....but at least 2 weeks work I'm guessing.

After that I'm not sure. I know Lana wants the ceiling up (which will lead to wanting the walls done) but wiring and lights are next and probably needs $1500-$2000 that I don't really have and there was never any budget for this project so in my mind it needs to wait until the crank is reground and the engine put back together....not looking forward to that conversation.

But intake seats are coming is the take away :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:55 am 

Intake seats are coming, that's all I see. 8-)

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:01 pm 

Hi Mark

This made me think of you: https://lamborghinichat.com/forum/threa ... ne.542653/

Chad takes a burnt Lambo V12 and decides to add 50 cubic inches, but wait, why only 50, let's make it 100.

409 cubes and aiming for 650 - 700hp.

Worth a read while you are waiting to get back in the shed.

John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 220  Next