gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:46 am 

LOL
My old compressor was leaking bad and its decided I was going buy a replacement pump and after much searching around I settled on a 2 stage W pump from northern tool for $500...but it still kind of worked and I knew the swaps would take some time so left it and good that I did as the motor burned up...I assumed the pump had seized but not, it spin free.

Anyway, with both the pump and motor gone repair seemed silly. Looking around I found this one with what looks like the same pump I had planned to buy and pretty cheap for a 2 stage. There was an Ingersol Rand 1 stage the flows 18cfm@90psi for $1200 where this only does 17@90....but this was cheaper, 80gal vs 60 and 175psi vs 135 so a lot more storage and in stock 15 miles away. My old was 125psi and 60 gal.

Tonight I need to figure out the wiring....this is a real 5hp which draws 22A @240. My old one said 5hp but used a 20A breaker so it couldn't be more than 4.7, I guess 30 years ago 4.5 rounds up to 5 but now they are labeled 3.7 for 15A, 4.7 for 20A and 5hp needs a 30 breaker which I'll need to go get along with a disconnect box and wire to go box to compressor.....hopefully I can get this all sorted night and back to V12 work tomorrow

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:51 pm 

My mind went to the Fueling W3 - yours for only $100k.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:31 pm 

I remember seeing that silly thing when it came out.....I was racing an H-D at the time and spent a lot of time at my buddy's H-D race shop and I recall the consensus on it being a 3rd tit isn't an improvement :lol:

On the compressor I kind of like the extra surface area and this pump has higher rated flow then most, other than the single stage IR that also uses 2 low pressure pistons. Probably makes no difference but I convinced myself this one was the winner.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:03 pm 

Ok, shop air is restored!....and its SOOO much quieter and less bouncy than the old compressor. The old compressor was apparently a total pos from the day it was new.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:30 pm 

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your new compressor - there really is nothing like good tools.

The hardware store in my hometown had a sign in the tool section: When you buy cheap tools, you feel good when you buy them, and bad every time you use them. When you buy quality tools, you feel great when you buy them, and happy every time you use them.

It was my introduction to the idea that splurging isn't always painful. I haven't had significant savings since.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:11 pm 

Not sure if this counts as a "good tool" ...its a big tool for sure but also the cheapest I could find in the category so I guess we'll see how it does. Today I put rubber pads under it (all the big compressors ask for them and while I was there replace the pos tank drain valve which is clearly the cheapest piece money can buy and was leaking as mine had a pinched o-ring in it.

It takes me a while to get things settled....turned it a different direction today so now I can better access the electric panel its blocking and the outlet isn't sticking into the isle....still need to figure-out where to hang the hose, nothing seems to make much sense on that question yet.

Another thought is a buddy just told me that he turned his 175psi capable compressor down to 130psi as the compressor easily keeps up with his tools and he thought it made no sense to pay to compress to 175 then regulate it back down to 120. I kind of like that idea. He changed the controller but I think mine is adjustable so I could turn it down and crank it back up if needed.

And none of this is getting the engine fixed.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:09 am 

"And none of this is getting the engine fixed."

Yes. Yes it is. It all has to happen to make it all work. Just part of the process. ;)

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:20 am 

Fair enough and in the same vain my foot dragging has brought me to edging and mulch time so a little more delay. GT parts finally shipped the other gaskets I ordered but I never ordered new head gaskets....probably need to take care of that too.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:50 pm 

Another $202+ tax& shipping of head gaskets on the way (in 3 weeks) to go with the $187 of other gaskets.....hopefully this is the last time.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:37 am 

So the current sealed set up is for testing only? New head gaskets will arrive and you will add the end shims and install the new ones with sealer as well?

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 220  Next