gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:03 am 

FoaTech wrote:

So if I am reading this correctly, it says, "Pull the engine and fix the seats, buy some cool wheels and drive the shit out of the car this summer."
Did I miss something? ;)

I think you read correctly :)

I started a new thread for the wheels and copied loopingz post there as weel as breaking the CF related stuff out of the welding/3pc thread.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=329

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:52 am 

Well what I would do myself would be concentrate on the car buy cheap wheels even if they kill the look. Good looking alloy wheels would be great too depending on money.
Then I see no issue at working on carbon fibers wheels as a side project, a that s a killer project.
Hobbyist tip, you can raise your skills working with glass fiber. Much cheaper and better resilience than carbon fiber. You might be poor on stiffness but that will give you a great idea.
Life tip. Wear ABEK mask when pooring epoxy. Wear P2 or P3 mask when removing material and wear long sleeve too for the itching. You don't want a cancer in no time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 am 

…. and Mark goes onto a somewhat related quest... Damn, another 2 year delay on the car... (but cool project!) :x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 am 

Montreal328 wrote:
…. and Mark goes onto a somewhat related quest... Damn, another 2 year delay on the car... (but cool project!) :x

No, no. I can't physically work on the engine until I finish the power room...and maybe some molding and a few other shop things. Lana will be mad and everything will get covered in nasty dust...I don't mind saw dust that much but stone and cement dust can't be on engine parts. so engine work remains on hold...but I'm getting really really close.

The suspension work follows the engine....the rubber bushes are shot, the springs aren't all they could be and the antiroll bars are just plain sad or missing and none of this cares about dust so I starting looking at it......

....and I got it in my head that I wanted 315 wide rear tires and that means new wheels and careful fitting between the engine and fender so the engine has to be in making now is the ideal time to look at it. The more I look at tire options though the more I've come to believe 285/295 is the better choice as 315 come in medium grade or full race but all the really good street tires come either/both 285/295....so the wheels I have are just fine and any change is cosmetic and can be done anytime and will continue in the background as time permits but has fallen off the priority path. Suspension will probably push to next winter at this point as I don't want any chance of a running engine and non-functional chassis.....making replacement wheels a nice fill-in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:08 pm 

mk e wrote:
Montreal328 wrote:

No, no. I can't physically work on the engine until I finish the power room...and maybe some molding and a few other shop things. Lana will be mad and everything will get covered in nasty dust...I don't mind saw dust that much but stone and cement dust can't be on engine parts. so engine work remains on hold...but I'm getting really really close.

The suspension work follows the engine....the rubber bushes are shot, the springs aren't all they could be and the antiroll bars are just plain sad or missing and none of this cares about dust so I starting looking at it......

....and I got it in my head that I wanted 315 wide rear tires and that means new wheels and careful fitting between the engine and fender so the engine has to be in making now is the ideal time to look at it. The more I look at tire options though the more I've come to believe 285/295 is the better choice as 315 come in medium grade or full race but all the really good street tires come either/both 285/295....so the wheels I have are just fine and any change is cosmetic and can be done anytime and will continue in the background as time permits but has fallen off the priority path. Suspension will probably push to next winter at this point as I don't want any chance of a running engine and non-functional chassis.....making replacement wheels a nice fill-in.

Bravo, I like that plan.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:59 am 

mk e wrote:
....and I got it in my head that I wanted 315 wide rear tires and that means new wheels and careful fitting between the engine and fender so the engine has to be in making now is the ideal time to look at it. The more I look at tire options though the more I've come to believe 285/295 is the better choice as 315 come in medium grade or full race but all the really good street tires come either/both 285/295....

Remember that putting more rubber down is like putting a bigger fuse in a circuit. Then you have to worry about the next component that's going to "blow", and more than likely it'll be a weak link in the drivetrain. For me, when I changed from 285's to 315's in a high powered turbo car, the tires would "hook" but then it was the clutch that couldn't handle the power.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:22 am 

cribbj wrote:
Remember that putting more rubber down is like putting a bigger fuse in a circuit. Then you have to worry about the next component that's going to "blow", and more than likely it'll be a weak link in the drivetrain. For me, when I changed from 285's to 315's in a high powered turbo car, the tires would "hook" but then it was the clutch that couldn't handle the power.

There is that. I was mostly just thinking it would look great but decided the wheel would be getting way too close to my oil return pump for comfort to be worth the risk. There are some really sticky 285/295 options that are probably capable of breaking stuff in the trans for me without also risky tearing off the oil pump :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:41 am 

April 2019 GRM

Attachments:
GRM Capture.JPG
GRM Capture.JPG [ 63.02 KiB | Viewed 16218 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:48 am 

mk e wrote:
There is that. I was mostly just thinking it would look great but decided the wheel would be getting way too close to my oil return pump for comfort to be worth the risk. There are some really sticky 285/295 options that are probably capable of breaking stuff in the trans for me without also risky tearing off the oil pump :)

The 315's really do look good on the Supra.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:47 pm 

cribbj wrote:
mk e wrote:

The 315's really do look good on the Supra.....

You're not helping ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 220  Next