gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:55 pm 

I think they're confused as well. Really, what *problems* do you expect to have from "too much" top ring seal? :lol:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:11 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
I think they're confused as well. Really, what *problems* do you expect to have from "too much" top ring seal? :lol:

I think it goes back to what I was told 15 years ago during the 308 build.....the gapless rings hold up better on the second ring since they are usually a little thicker and don't see as much heat. Everything after that seems more than a little suspect and TS Ed's answers didn't match TS Bobby's beyond "we recommend the gapless 2nd ring".

At this point I have them and Lana is getting more than a little annoyed about all the things I keep buying so if I send them back I won't have any rings and will not likely get spending authority to buy rings......which combine to make me think these are the perfect choice :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:18 pm 

please forgive me for this post, however... the use of a gapless ring has never seemed a viable solution to any problem that I have ever seen. I am not a performance engine builder or a hod rodder. all of my engines are reliable. The gapless ring is hard to install. must be the correct size, etc. etc. go with the accepted solution and enjoy the preformance. install the rings with the gaps in staggered arrangement and go with it. It has worked for me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:54 am 

Hi Mark,

Things have gone quiet on your forum since September. Are you OK?

I have followed this project since it began and I'm amazed at the work you are able to do. Will you be able to resume work on the car and see it through to completion?

Keith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:13 am 

Hey guy, welcome and sorry your first posts sat so long.....a post from a spammer caused minor corruption in the database a few years back that I don't know how to fix and since then I don't get notified of posts waiting approval....which is the hard stop I use to prevent spammers from posting. Any new posts you make will show right up now.

4redNo - This thread has been slow...I got distracted first with my wheel then with a 17" set for a customer. Those wheels are are now ordered and waiting on the vendor to do his thing so I'm back to the car I think, although Lana is talking about shoe shelves and I have a few bins and other things sitting on the shop and basement floors to clean up before winter that I'd like to deal with tomorrow (I have every other Friday off) and last weekend I was measuring the driveway for court, which got delayed and it now 11/6.

benniewad - that was my thought when I assembled this the 1st time and I went round and round on it this time. I agree with you that they are more bother and there has to be a reason factories don't use them and I suspect the reason is the data to support their use is sketchy at best....but I have used them in the past and for sure they do produce very low leakdown numbers which lead to better low rpm vacuum.

My thought is that if I'm being honest I've built an engine that is designed to operate best at 6-10+k rpm that I will redline at 9k rpm and I know will actually to operate at 1200-3500 95+% of the time (I learned that with the last blower engine....lots of power leads to lots of short shifting on the street) so anything I can do that helps at low rpm is probably a benefit. I have the multiMAP that is getting a really good MAP signal to the ECU and cranking compression was ok so ....the standard rings were working well enough...it was a though call.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:28 am 

I was at a defense industry show yesterday and spotted another nice option in the v12 doesn't work out....very smooth they said

Attachments:
20191014_095702-resized-1024.jpg
20191014_095702-resized-1024.jpg [ 322.02 KiB | Viewed 6073 times ]
20191014_095729-resized-1024.jpg
20191014_095729-resized-1024.jpg [ 196.72 KiB | Viewed 6073 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:16 pm 

mk e wrote:
I was at a defense industry show yesterday and spotted another nice option in the v12 doesn't work out....very smooth they said

Reminds me of the old Darwin Awards story about a JATO powered Chebby:

"Jet Assisted Take-Off
1995 Darwin Awards Winner
Confirmed Bogus by Darwin

URBAN LEGEND! The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.
The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-SHIT.""

https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

And this jet powered beetle of Ron Patrick: http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:24 pm 

I almost bought the original engine from this project
https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threa ... ow.156988/

iirc I had just realized the TR heads didn't actually fit the 400 block and Paul Newman suggest a whole TR engine/trans. I was certain it wouldn't fit by he got me a bunch of measurement and it probably could be made to fit.....at about that time the original TR engine/trans pulled from the the turbine TR popped up....I was very temped.

Attachments:
turb2.JPG
turb2.JPG [ 53.49 KiB | Viewed 6070 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:16 pm 

Cleaning out the car stuff from the basement and couldn't bring myself to throw out the TR and 400 cams that didn't sell the couple times I listed them so back on ebay no reserve....TR cams sold for $3.25 and the 400 cams brought an amazing $11.00. Then an hour to pack, tape, gas and time to get to FedEx...I wish I'd dropped them in the trash. I was thinking they were worth $100-$150 per cam, my how times have changed in the used parts market.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:39 pm 

Until someone NEEDS them, then all bets are off. :o

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 220  Next