gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 220  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:28 pm 

In Greek
https://www.drive.gr/news/tuning/pos-na ... -v12-video

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:48 am 

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=35373

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:05 am 

Man, I'm so impressed by that engine swap. How many work hours do you think that took?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:18 pm 

BookerMac wrote:
Man, I'm so impressed by that engine swap. How many work hours do you think that took?

Thanks.
1500-2000 hours of guess?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 am 

Come on Mike, pull the bloody engine out and rip the head off. Keep stuffing around like this and I'll finish my Alfa restoration first :)

BTW: I've finally bought an old lathe. Only took until I was over 50. Can't wait to get it up and running!

Best
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:04 am 

PSk wrote:
Come on Mike, pull the bloody engine out and rip the head off. Keep stuffing around like this and I'll finish my Alfa restoration first :)

BTW: I've finally bought an old lathe. Only took until I was over 50. Can't wait to get it up and running!

Best
Pete

You will now find new things to do on the lathe just to do it. I find I throw things in the lathe and make a quick cut, clean, polish or something all the time. Love it.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 am 

PSk wrote:

Best
Pete

I was feeling bad about getting done before you so I'm doing everything I can to let you catchup ;)

Honestly I've been dragging my feet a bit because of the construction dust that I really don't want all over the engine parts. To get the piston that I'm pretty sure is ruined out the whole engine needs to come apart and sit waiting for the new piston....but the powder room is ALMOST finished...I may have a window of opportunity to at least pull the engine this weekend while I wait for construction materials to arrive.

And from you we need a lathe thread :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 am 

Hi there,

I love your project mke. I have seen you want to build cf wheels on a budget.
As a pro (aerospace composite engineer) and hobbyist board builder I would like to stress some points here.
Prepare yourself to waste some wheels at least you have to budget it.
What can go wrong.
By conception matting on the screws will be hard. Be monolotic around there. Ply orientation and quantity is vital at least a minimum thickness is vital.
The shape on the 308 is not very carbon fiber friendly. Koenigsegg put some tubic branch and everything is rounded.
By tooling. Vacuum pump go for industrial straight. My 3 free fridge pump + relays and microcontrollers is around 500$ and yet not that good (3 pump is for redundancy here). Oven you will need one and you will need to cook high temp 200C minimum 400C would be better. Mine is "almost free" but reach only 70C. You need to control ramp up and ramp down temperature. Failure to do so = trash.
By building. You can have mass reaction (better to constantly mix resin and never more than half inch high in your bucket), avoid it at all cost. You will have bubble visible outside and hidden inside. How much can you tolerate?. Warping, that is a wheel you need to avoid it a lot. Milling afterward should be limited to a minimum! You can have vacuum failure, oven failure, epoxy too humid... Prepreg can remove some issues. Molding will be key. Infusion is interesting too but it might be trickier for a start. If you want to use some filling material you may want use herex/airex, c70-75 or stronger. Avoid honeycomb too much added pain...
You can have delamination too and a lot more possible issue.
It is doable still with your energy I am sure you can manage. But take your budget and multiply by a factor 2, 3 or 4. There is so much to learn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 am 

loopingz wrote:
Hi there,

I love your project mke. I have seen you want to build cf wheels on a budget.
As a pro (aerospace composite engineer) and hobbyist board builder I would like to stress some points here.
Prepare yourself to waste some wheels at least you have to budget it.
What can go wrong.
By conception matting on the screws will be hard. Be monolotic around there. Ply orientation and quantity is vital at least a minimum thickness is vital.
The shape on the 308 is not very carbon fiber friendly. Koenigsegg put some tubic branch and everything is rounded.
By tooling. Vacuum pump go for industrial straight. My 3 free fridge pump + relays and microcontrollers is around 500$ and yet not that good (3 pump is for redundancy here). Oven you will need one and you will need to cook high temp 200C minimum 400C would be better. Mine is "almost free" but reach only 70C. You need to control ramp up and ramp down temperature. Failure to do so = trash.
By building. You can have mass reaction (better to constantly mix resin and never more than half inch high in your bucket), avoid it at all cost. You will have bubble visible outside and hidden inside. How much can you tolerate?. Warping, that is a wheel you need to avoid it a lot. Milling afterward should be limited to a minimum! You can have vacuum failure, oven failure, epoxy too humid... Prepreg can remove some issues. Molding will be key. Infusion is interesting too but it might be trickier for a start. If you want to use some filling material you may want use herex/airex, c70-75 or stronger. Avoid honeycomb too much added pain...
You can have delamination too and a lot more possible issue.
It is doable still with your energy I am sure you can manage. But take your budget and multiply by a factor 2, 3 or 4. There is so much to learn!

So if I am reading this correctly, it says, "Pull the engine and fix the seats, buy some cool wheels and drive the shit out of the car this summer."
Did I miss something? ;)

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:49 am 

This is actually reinventing the wheel !! :lol:

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 220  Next