gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Type 4 VW build
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:12 am 

Nice! 1 step (you didn't know you needed) closer

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:53 am 

Next, the cylinders go on. Then heads and make the push rods (cut to length kit). Oil pump, oil pan, accessories and make noise.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:11 am 

Well, after almost a year, I am back at it. All the little parts have been here for months. Last night (1/10/23) I left the shop at midnight. It is almost ready. I have some tin work to do. Rear main seal needs to go in. Install the modified oil sump. Flywheel and clutch final fitting. Front dress and tins and put it in.
I was vert pleased with the leak down. 2 cylinders were zero, one had 1% & another 2%. You could here it in the breather so it is ring seat. I expect that will take care of itself after start up.
After machining and installing the guides, seats and valves, I am really happy with the heads.

Attachments:
File comment: Late night done.
Carb fitting.jpg
Carb fitting.jpg [ 97.79 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]
File comment: Happy with that result.
Zero leak down.jpg
Zero leak down.jpg [ 94.73 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]
File comment: Head is on, rockers getting set. Had to trim 22mm off of the custom push rods.
Rockers going on.jpg
Rockers going on.jpg [ 90.14 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]
File comment: Custom set up plate setting the lower cylinder sealer on the shims for the jugs.
Cylinders on.jpg
Cylinders on.jpg [ 93.03 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]
File comment: The others
Piston assembly.jpg
Piston assembly.jpg [ 82.87 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]
File comment: Green tint of the Quick Seat can be seen.
Quick seat close up.jpg
Quick seat close up.jpg [ 84.24 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]
File comment: One in, three to go.
One on.jpg
One on.jpg [ 84.5 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]
File comment: Piston going into the jug.
One going in.jpg
One going in.jpg [ 70.34 KiB | Viewed 3724 times ]

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:25 am 

Looking good!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:13 am 

More work last night. I was able to get the extended pan drilled for the temp gauge and on the engine. There was a small sump cover that was installed. Headers studs and headers were fit on. Still need to paint the headers again. Stated working on duct work modifications. I need to block off the old oil cooler opening and make a cylinder duct for the right side (it is just missing). This should get me ready to install the engine, pre lube it and fire it off.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:02 am 

Hope everyone is well. I welded the opening for the old oil cooler in the tin worm last night and repaired some damaged bolt holes. I am making a piece of tin that I can't find to direct air to the right cylinder head. I also welded stainless washers to the bolt holes on the tin work to double the clamp and help stop cracking. I have site glass for the oil level indicator that I will fit onto a plate on the block. Found the correct pilot bearing, it is on the way. I am racing in and endurance series race this weekend. It is called Lucky Dog Racing Series. It is a 7&8 hour enduro on Saturday and Sunday at a track called AMP in Dawsonville, Ga. There will be several 1 1/2 hour driving stints, hopefully I can still stand when I am done.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:26 pm 

Racing what? The buggy?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:58 pm 

No. It is a cheap series. I have some friends that run a Subaru wagon, I think it is a Forrester. There will be a lot of time behind the wheel. Should be a fun time. Might rain, makes it even more fun.

From the website.
"Lucky Dog Racing League is a “for racers, by racers” grassroots motorsports series that welcomes all levels of racecars and drivers. Our staff is like family and we’re big on you and your team being part of this racing community. It’s not always about who wins (OK, sometimes), but rather the special comradery that manifests itself when fellow competitors and their crew are the first to help repair your car, loan a tool, buy you a beer, give you their back-up parts car or help entertain the kids. At the end of the day, and at the end of the race...we’re all family bound by our need for speed and a passionate desire to race. "

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:27 am 

I am extremely close to putting this thing in the chassis. I have had a hang up with tin work. I was missing a piece that pushes air to the cylinders. I wasn't worried until the rebuild and upgrade. More compression and RPM will need more cooling. Anyway, tins just need to be painted and that happens tonight.
The throw out bearing was an issue. In type 4 Bus engines (mine) it is in the crank. Type 1 Bug transmissions have a shorter input shaft and the throw out bearing is in a big single bolt the holds the flywheel on. I have flywheel that accepts a pilot bearing and has the 5 bolt attachment. I had a hard time finding the right bearing but I did and it is in.
One other issue was a dipstick. The old one was a really bad looking thing bolted to the block. I decided to try a site glass and it turned out pretty good. We will see how it works. I just need to know the oil is there really. That should do it. I have an extra capacity extended pan, so I should have plenty of oil.

Time to stab it into the chassis. I'll drive the wife 69 C-10 to work Friday and bring the engine home. Plan to install it this weekend.

Attachments:
File comment: Site glass oil level check
Site Glass.jpg
Site Glass.jpg [ 42.92 KiB | Viewed 3117 times ]
File comment: So close.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg [ 58.82 KiB | Viewed 3117 times ]
File comment: Clutch on and done.
Clutch.jpg
Clutch.jpg [ 57.36 KiB | Viewed 3117 times ]
File comment: New tin tacked together.
Tins 2.jpg
Tins 2.jpg [ 45.83 KiB | Viewed 3117 times ]

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:23 am 

exciting time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next