gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dino head work
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:37 pm 

So I received these heads (Dino) from a client. Someone had already "repaired" them and it just needs a valve job.
Weelllll, not so fast, I do believe that the weld job is crap. I explained to them that everything needs to be repaired, not just throw some weld on it.
I cleaned the heads, removed the guides, had to machine them out to preserve the bore, I welded (TIG) the seats and pulled them out without issue. Then I plastic blasted them and ground away the bad spots. rewelded the area needed and hand finished the chambers. I have new guides and valves, seats are on order. I probably could just put in the same size seat but I ordered .5mm oversize. I'll take a skim cut to even it up after its all done.

Attachments:
File comment: Other chamber
IMG_4362.jpg
IMG_4362.jpg [ 112.77 KiB | Viewed 29495 times ]
File comment: All better
IMG_4361.jpg
IMG_4361.jpg [ 116.98 KiB | Viewed 29495 times ]
File comment: Had to go around the edge because the previous repair rolled the edge when refinishing.
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg [ 124.77 KiB | Viewed 29495 times ]
File comment: Welded
IMG_4357.jpg
IMG_4357.jpg [ 130.8 KiB | Viewed 29495 times ]
File comment: Ready to weld.
IMG_4356.jpg
IMG_4356.jpg [ 122.09 KiB | Viewed 29495 times ]
File comment: The pair
Dino head 2.jpg
Dino head 2.jpg [ 107.09 KiB | Viewed 29495 times ]
File comment: As it arrived
Dino head 1.jpg
Dino head 1.jpg [ 111.11 KiB | Viewed 29495 times ]

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Dino head work
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:38 am 

Pretty!

"Simple" things sure can be a lot of work though :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:36 am 

Now send them to Mark for port work! It'll be a 300 HP Dino when they go back on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:50 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Now send them to Mark for port work! It'll be a 300 HP Dino when they go back on.

He just bought a superflow flow bench so I'm kind of waiting to learn some stuff here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:29 pm 

We are working on a second set of Dino heads now. Sneaking up on it. The port is really poorly shaped in the roof with very little room to move it.
The exhaust angle is different and they flow very well.
Anyway, we are getting there, currently we have a 28.5% increase in flow and that is not bad. I need to borrow the Dyno sim again and see where I will end up. I could let Mark do it but I would end up with a 700 HP 12,500 rpm missile I can't duplicate on my bench. Well, not for the money this project has anyway.
The camera makes it look really rough. It is not that bad. Although, as I said in high school as the year book photographer, when girls complained about a picture, "The big eye don't lie!" I should touch up the guide area.

Attachments:
ported intake.jpg
ported intake.jpg [ 56.74 KiB | Viewed 29478 times ]

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:32 pm 

28% gain is pretty good. If the velocity is also up and the carbs can also flow (are you working with carb in place) then you should expect the hp to be up at least the same % and it will want to rev a lot higher too even without a cam change.

I can do "tame" engines....I don't really see the point but I can do them :)

Let me know when you need the DM6 key, I don't have anything going with it now that needs it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:49 pm 

Thanks.
It will be electronic fuel injection with injectors above the stock carbs modified to be throttle bodies. The air box will be the killer.
Ti valves and retainers, shim under bucket as well. Custom cam, pistons and rods. I am trying for Ti rods too but haven't got that yet.

I'll use the key when ever you can spare it.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:29 am 

Have a look at these injectors if you haven't already
https://www.bikesportdevelopments.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IWP189

They are specifically designed to be shower injectors. Ducati used standard injector in their 1st offering and had off-idle and low power issues, these were their solution. I was going to use them on the V12 but was worried about height and went to more standard port mount so more standard injectors.

There should be a few cam lobes you might want to look at in the engine files I send you. The 2 that are in my engine and you can import either as intake or exhaust its file name is Ferrari 1027-1068.c1. Then also look at file Ferrari 240-235 cam.c1, they are a little less aggressive so more street friendly but pretty nice with good flowing heads. They are both web camshafts grinds that can be put on welded stock cores....for $100/lobe last I checked. They have options with more lift if you want more duration...depending where flow comes out and what rpm you're targeting I guess.

And last, what ECU will it be getting? With 8 or fewer cylinders there are lot of options I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:47 am 

I am not the one picking the injection but I will pass it on. I am involved in cam selection and will look at your suggestions.
I realized last night that I am flowing the heads at 25" and the program has the conversion at 24". This is the way the program came to me and I have since changed the conversion to 28" and I am much happier with my gains now. That makes it 193 CFM intake. The exhaust is still better by just adding the big valve. We may need to make that a smaller valve to get some balance back. I am working on just one cylinder so I have more exhaust to work with and get what I want. Hopefully no welding is involved but you never know.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:55 pm 

I work at 10"...because why not?

Back to the carbs.....even gutted I can't imagine the stock carbs are large enough to match the gains you have? Are these numbers head with stack? Have you looked at head +intake+carb?

I'll try to get the key out to you Wed as I have another appointment right near the post office....us country folks need to plan big trips like this.