gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4L build
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:24 pm 

My machinist, he can take a bit to get things done, only because he's so damn busy! However his work is second to none and I never have to worry about something not being right. The downside though is getting in line and waiting.... sometimes it's can be 6 months before there's an opening for me to get something in! Oh he hated these buggers too, they are just a hair short of his workable tool space in the lath.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:53 am 

Ahh, machined. I thought maybe you had them spun or formed somehow that would save me gobs of time.

I did a set a few years ago where I machined taper tubes then formed the bell on the press and that worked well. This time I"m pandering forming the taper on the press as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:59 pm 

The only place I could find that still spin forms wants an arm and a leg for pieces... I also wanted something with a bit more 'heft' then sheet ga, so machined from solid bars it is! They also sport a recessed 'O' ring groove and lip so that internally they are flush to the bore. and avg 3.5mm thickness

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:41 am 

Next question...those stacks look pretty long, where did you end up deciding you wanted to be tuned length wise?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:22 am 

trumpets are 150mm or 6". total length is 13.5"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:19 am 

some more pics,

Various bits, cam trigger and scavenge pump drive shaft. Front crank trigger, I had the parts water jet and used 316 SS for the parts with breaks and bends. The front trigger is temporary until the new flywheel is made then I'll utilize the ports in the mid-plate. The trigger wheel will not be 60-2 but simply 12 teeth. the window for syncing the cam trigger makes 60-2 a real PITA, the flywheel trigger will be 24 when it's done.

A number of parts are going to be hydro dipped.... :shock: You'll all have to wait to see the 'bling' 'bling'

Attachments:
crank trigger.jpg
crank trigger.jpg [ 226.55 KiB | Viewed 16270 times ]
cam trigger 2.jpg
cam trigger 2.jpg [ 230.34 KiB | Viewed 16270 times ]
cam trigger.jpg
cam trigger.jpg [ 59.5 KiB | Viewed 16270 times ]
File comment: BIG trumpets... look at the stock liner!
trumpet.jpg
trumpet.jpg [ 216.64 KiB | Viewed 16270 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:15 am 

Nice looking ignition there Scott; the COP's look like smart Denso's from a Toyota? Hope they work well for you - I had very good luck with smart Tundra coils on a SC'd Lexus V8 - we had no misfires up to 22 PSI of boost.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:42 pm 

cribbj wrote:
Nice looking ignition there Scott; the COP's look like smart Denso's from a Toyota? Hope they work well for you - I had very good luck with smart Tundra coils on a SC'd Lexus V8 - we had no misfires up to 22 PSI of boost.

Thanks, and that's exactly why I choose them, pricey but worth every penny. Did a lot of research and found that those Toyota Denso units have a great track record for working with high compression and boosted engines.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:18 pm 

Looking so good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:10 pm 

I just hope that it performs as good as it looks! The exhaust has me concerned, it needs a completely new manifold to support 600Hp, space is tight!

Oh and that someone might actually want me to build another! I'd probably run screaming into the night! The sheer number of hrs in this build is :shock: :shock: :shock: , a mere drop compared to Marks fantastic project. Easily 100k in labor alone at this point, maybe more, sooooooo much custom work and one-off bits. When done it'll be time to beat on it like it owes me money and see what breaks! then rinse & repeat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next