gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:43 am 

The typical Ferraristi answer is "Don't drive the car", but that's not what cars are built for, and especially not Ferraris!

Another thread I started on the topic:
http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=50343

Of the suggestions there, using clear POR15 sounds like it's just what the doctor ordered, although anodizing an entire block sounds pretty awesome!

What does this forum think?

For amplifying information, I just tore down my Cadillac Northstar to deal with its oil consumption problem. The exterior was getting white aluminum oxide junk on it, and I'd like to preserve it better than that.

I'm also thinking of what I'd like to do to keep the 360 engine I have shiny once I build and install it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:40 am 

Great thread Will; hope it generates a lot of ideas & suggestions

For my own engine, I'm using a polymer heat insulating coating from PolyDyn that looks exactly like cast aluminum.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:10 am 

If it stays dry it really can't corrode, if you can drive it in the rain it clearly doesn't have the hp it needs and you have the wrong tires :)

Mine is a mess after moving out of the relatively dry temp controlled shop and into the garage for a couple years....I'm hoping being in the new shop will solve the problem. My biggest problem is the gold cad plated stuff not the aluminum.....don't know if it's the fire spot or coolant spills....strange.

Motorcycles with exposed engines clear coat the pretty side covers then either paint the block or leave it and it's not bad.

I sure don't have a good answer though.....other than hapless top rings on street engines tend to use oil ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:14 am 

cribbj wrote:
Great thread Will; hope it generates a lot of ideas & suggestions

For my own engine, I'm using a polymer heat insulating coating from PolyDyn that looks exactly like cast aluminum.

Link?

Is it clear or aluminum colored?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:14 pm 

It's actually aluminum colored and it was developed by PolyDyn in conjunction with some Busch Cup teams to coat the inner/outer surfaces of intake manifolds and make it look like they were still uncoated.

On my engine, the surface looks slightly brighter than a bare, clean cast surface, but not by much.

Your best bet would be to contact Carl Benton, the owner of PolyDyn in Houston and ask him about his heat retaining polymer coating that looks like cast aluminum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:12 am 

Any concerns about keeping heat in the engine by coating with a heat retaining coating?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:07 pm 

Yes, some, but I was more concerned about it radiating into the engine bay, which we all know is a hellhole on most Ferraris.

I was hoping to reduce the radiant heat and transfer it into the oil, coolant & exhaust systems where I could do something about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:40 am 

I also realized I must have had a battery boil over event at some point, as both the battery tray and corner of the engine next to the battery show way more corrosion than elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:05 pm 

mk e wrote:
If it stays dry it really can't corrode, if you can drive it in the rain it clearly doesn't have the hp it needs and you have the wrong tires :)

Mine is a mess after moving out of the relatively dry temp controlled shop and into the garage for a couple years....I'm hoping being in the new shop will solve the problem. My biggest problem is the gold cad plated stuff not the aluminum.....don't know if it's the fire spot or coolant spills....strange.

Motorcycles with exposed engines clear coat the pretty side covers then either paint the block or leave it and it's not bad.

I sure don't have a good answer though.....other than hapless top rings on street engines tend to use oil ;)

Yeah, those poor hapless rings :P

Interesting you're having issues with the gold cadmium... the purpose of that coating is to prevent corrosion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:51 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

Interesting you're having issues with the gold cadmium... the purpose of that coating is to prevent corrosion.

I know....its the first time I''ve ever used the red coolant but the soot could be the issue...or the 2 together. I havew a lot of nuts and washers I need to replace though.