gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:05 am 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

I think the difference would be that a target dwell is on the spec sheet vs. a NTE dwell...

I can not imagine why there being a target dwell on the the basic coil requirements document...its possible, the replacement coil people probably measure and try to hit it, but on a factory coil that seems like a low priority floater....which is why I keep saying its probably not a great idea to try to mix and match coil types.

The discharge curve would also need a spec to make the coils interchangeable....even with matching or close enough dwells the discharge profiles could be quite different.

The dude who's setting up my ECM is looking at the coil data in the OE calibrations... He should be able to look at how close they are and let me know if I can run both types off the same numbers

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
There literally are no other valve cover options.

No way to cut/weld to make one fit the other bank? Or new covers of some kind over both so they look like a set and hide the coils maybe? I don't know why, but I always think anything on the top of the engine deserves a little attention to detail....you made some beautiful fittings and clutch parts no one will ever see, i think you sure give the visible parts the same love......but my engine doesn't run after 14 years so :lol: :oops:

They're not even mirror images of each other, since the width of the timing drive compartment differs by the bank offset. Also, the production covers are die cast magnesium. Do you want to weld that?
Also also, the PCV air/oil separators are separate cast pieces inside the valve covers. They're RTV'd AND screwed into place, so even after the screws are out, they're likely to break trying to separate the RTV'd joint.

I'd LOVE to have an extra set dry ice blasted, then painted with some "retina searing" metallic blue.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:58 pm 

Years ago I had a ford contour as a daily driver until it burned a piston. Sometime later I saw that starting the next year Ford switched to colder plugs on the center 2 cylinders, so the little 4 cyl got 2 each of 2 different plug numbers. That is the worry I have about your 2 coil design plan....the goal is usually try to make every cylinder act the same because its really hard when they're not.

But I think I remember there are differences in your exhaust bank to bank too? If so there's is a good chance you'll be trying to get the fuel right bank to bank and may anyway which also implicates timing as well anyway so as long as the ecu you have can do bank or cylinder tuning it just means a bit more tuning time. If the ECU can't handle bank or cylinder specific tuning then you are stuck tuning to the lowest common denominator.....more fuel here than I want so its not lean there and less timing here so its safe there kind of thing. Just something to keep an eye on.

Magnesium welds fine btw, you just need to clean everything including the fill rods as it all oxidizes quickly....but it is un-needed work/delay which is no doubt why yours is about to run and mine is not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:07 am 

Sinister confirms that the dwell tables for the D580 and D514A are significantly different. I can't mix/match, so I'll go with the D514A since it's a newer better design than the D580. The D514A was used on C6 and C7 Corvettes from 2005 to 2019. That's a pretty impressive run, so it must be a good unit.

Of course now that I have 4x D580's on order from Rock for test fitting, I'll have to return those and order 8x D514A's. NGK makes a version that I'll probably snag just because I have NGK plugs.

Yeah, I have a stock-type manifold on the front bank with the 2" outlet cut off and a 2.5" outlet welded on. I have a shorty/log type manifold built for the back. They are similar layout and equally distant from the X-pipe, so I tell myself it's not that bad. The ECM has separate fuel trims for each bank and dual O2 sensors, so it should be able to compensate for bank-to-bank differences. I just realized I need to have him snag the cylinder-by-cylinder fuel trims from a '95-'99 Caddy and compare them to the '06+ Caddy cylinder-by-cylinder trims.
Edit: The Shelby tune should have the right cylinder-by-cylinder fuel trims, and that one definitely works with HPT, while the '95-'99 Caddy stuff does not.

I'll send you a set of covers you can weld up after your engine is running. Meanwhile, I'll take mine to the track. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:56 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

I'll send you a set of covers you can weld up after your engine is running. Meanwhile, I'll take mine to the track. ;)

No need to be mean.....

Good new on the cylinder/bank fuel trims in the ECU....hard to tune but worth the effort when you have a setup that ends up needing them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:14 am 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

No need to be mean.....

Good new on the cylinder/bank fuel trims in the ECU....hard to tune but worth the effort when you have a setup that ends up needing them.

You know we love you, Mark.

Yeah, having the cylinder-by-cylinder trims right helps make sure the tuner who does the dyno work isn't chasing his tail with anything.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:27 am 

The crane was tagged out last weekend, so I didn't get anything done involving lifting the engine.

So I caught up on some admin and other lower priority necessities

The mods I made to the water log netted almost a pound. If I cut down the EGR cooler lobe, it would have been a pound.

Weight is weight; weight reduction is weight reduction

The prototype TOB holder ended up a little small across the throw out finger notches. This allows it to rotate between the throw out fingers more than it should be able to, which messes up snug clearances to Getrag case features. Spec is 2.670.

The original bearing developed some roughness over the course of development, so I had to test the "removal access" holes to use in driving the bearing off so I could replace it with the spare I ordered. R&R were surprisingly easy.

Stock vs dual disk unit

Easiest Install-for-Flight ever!

Also fitted the "These are definitely coolant" 120 degree lime green elbows from SamCo, along with the HPS black 90 degree elbow on the brake booster vacuum connection. These will get aluminum hose couplers from Pegasus Auto Racing and Gates shrink tube hose clamps. I'll start off with regular heater hose to connect to the engine and get the lengths right, then possibly switch over to green or clear silicone hose at some point in the future, after I've been driving the car for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:17 am 

I had a social life last weekend, so I hardly got anything done on the car.

I did get to pick up the next rev of the accessory bracket and test fit

It's touching the lobe of the front cover in the middle, but all the mounting bolts still go in. I'll figure out exactly where it needs to be clearanced, do some grinding and update the design next weekend.

The extra bolt hole in the upper right is for the alternator and the extra bolt hole at the bottom is to relocate the stock idler. The extra hole at the top is for the anti-rotation pin for the tensioner, but that's not it's final location.
I need to test fit the alternator and idler, as well as measure how proud the surface of the bracket is from the surface of the front cover so I can verify my idea for a second idler mount will work.
I also need to figure out where the final location for the tensioner's anti-rotation pin is going to end up.

Because I have not completed the accessory drive, I have not pressed the balancer on and installed the balancer bolt--just in case the front cover needed to come back off. However, I'm going to have to do that before I install the transmission, as there's not a good way to hold the crank to torque the bolt once the transmission is installed. I guess that means I need to install the balancer "at risk" next weekend. Pulling the balancer isn't *that* big a deal, but I'd been treating installing a balancer as one of the "not going back" milestones in the WBS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:56 am 

Weekend before last, I did a smidge of checking on the accessory bracket. I need to take more measurements to complete the design.

My alternator mount hole is a little bit off.

A 0.005 feeler gauge stops here and doesn't go in from the other side, so that tells me about which direction I need to move the arc in the part.

I modified the oil filter adapter again, of course realizing the need for this mod AFTER I had it anodized.
I hooked up shop air to blow out the hole continuously during the milling & tapping operations to keep the inside of the part clean.

I had to set up some Rube Godlberg fixturing, including blocking off the block port in order to make sure all the compressed air went out the port I was machining instead of rushing by it, creating a venturi pump that pulled chips INTO the part.

Result:

The elbow is a 3/8 NPT male to 1/4 NPT female street el, which is the most compact arrangement possible. This particular part I had previously modified by running the pipe die a little further down it. This actually made it a little small for the size the oil filter adapter port ended up. I ordered another elbow, so theoretically the fresh elbow will work fine, as I appear to have plenty of clearance for the socket to install the Aurora oil pressure sender/switch.

Last weekend I did some leak-finding on my roof, and didn't get a lot done on the car.

I decided that I'm better off completing the first water manifold that I thought I ruined vs. making a multi-piece throttle adapter... So I did the first ops on that.

I still need to drill the hole in the upper radiator connection neck for the Mishimoto weld-on fill port... and order another fill port. The new thing I need to do is mill a pocket around the slot, then fit a lid for that slot, then have the lid welded into place. I also left one of the EGR valve mounting bolt holes, as it doubles as a support for the fuel rail where the fuel lines connect to the rail... probably useful to keep.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:03 am 

I also copy-catted Mark by getting started on some home improvements... I'm waiting until I get further along to upload progress pics, though. I want a better story to tell than "Look at the wall I ripped apart LOL!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:37 pm 

I put this together over the weekend:

After I took the photo, I turned it in one more revolution and got a bit more clearance, although it was getting pretty tight. The perfectionist in me wants to pull the adapter back off and run the tap in one more revolution. The asymmetry of the material that tap's cutting caused it to go in at a slight angle ("up" in this photo) which reduces the socket's clearance to the mount bracket. Because a pipe tap is tapered, you can straighten it out after it gets started crooked. Straightening the tap would both give a little more clearance and be slightly less ghetto. Turning it in one more rev is necessary to straighten it and would give yet more clearance. I'll figure that out later, as it's good enough right now.

End of the elbow still well clear of the oil passage

Add the water manifold gaskets in and these will line up.

Clearance around the throttle body

But not quite enough
At this "orthogonal" upside down attitude, the throttle bore doesn't quite match up to the manifold bore. I can turn it slightly so that the end of the motor housing AND the cap of the motor housing both make contact and it looks like its *almost* perfect. I'd have to take the manifold down another 0.050-0.100 and make the adapter at a slight angle. I'm not sure I *can* take the manifold down that far without opening both coolant passages and welding the whole thing back together.
...although it might not be that much more effort compared to what I'm doing now... might be worthwhile.

Wanted to have an accurate setup to spot face the bolt holes

And take this bolt boss down to the level of the lower ones. Originally there are three lengths of bolt used on the water manifold. 1x short, 4x medium, 3x long. I can take this long boss down to medium, then use a spacer on the short bolt location to bring it up to medium. Then I'd need 6x medium and 2x long bolts... KISS

Final setup for milling the slot to weld up

The slot at 0.580 x 6.285

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 34  Next