gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stella gets some updates
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:39 am 

My wife decided she wanted a truck. To my pleasant surprise, she found an old suburban on a street and took a picture with it. She explained to me that the grill on the sub was what she wanted on her truck. Wow, she wanted a 69 C10 Chevy. She told our son (27) the same thing. He called me and asked "Does Mom really want a 69 C10?" "Yes, yes she does." He searched his area on Craigslist and found a decent long bed that had been redone maybe 15 years ago.
We bought it and first thing was a new cooler steering wheel with a matching blue BowTie loge center cap in matching brushed finish. Then I replaced the entire wiring harness and removed the trashed aftermarket AC and looped the heater box hoses as the core was leaking. I replaced the intake with a better Weiand unit I have sitting around. Added Holley cast aluminum valve covers again, just had them sitting around. Put in new boat speakers in the doors, no need letting the moisture kill them. Added three point seat belts and a center belt. The grand kids like to ride in Stella. My wife named the truck Stella.
I now have Vintage Air kit to install. I have added a nice set of Hedman Headers in silver ceramic with dual pipes straight to Flow Master mufflers in 2 1/2 inch. I also added a Holley HP throttle body fuel injection that came off of a car in the shop that would not run correctly and the owner just wanted a carb.
With some help from the Holley forum I found a California guy that has talked me through software upgrades and tuning to get it running. We are getting there. It had a bad O2 sensor which was the actual issue in the other car (Cobra kit car with a 427 SB Ford).
It has been an interesting experience as the upgrade had no tuning wizard to get started. The base idle setting in a table from a global Holley file was 3.02 lb/hr. I have it idling now but it took going to 12.4 to make it idle. I have no idea if that is close or left field. I am learning as I go.

Attachments:
File comment: Bringing it home.
On the way home.jpg
On the way home.jpg [ 105.64 KiB | Viewed 19319 times ]
File comment: This is what I started with.
As it came home.jpg
As it came home.jpg [ 102.43 KiB | Viewed 19319 times ]
File comment: The old intake and crappy carb adapter had to go.
Old intake coming off.jpg
Old intake coming off.jpg [ 108.44 KiB | Viewed 19319 times ]
File comment: Changed the intake and valve covers.
New intake and valve covers.jpg
New intake and valve covers.jpg [ 108.02 KiB | Viewed 19319 times ]
File comment: Had to move the alternator for the new AC kit as well. This is where it should be.
New alternator bracket.jpg
New alternator bracket.jpg [ 87.34 KiB | Viewed 19319 times ]
File comment: Quick patch, waiting on AC kit.
Patch the hole.jpg
Patch the hole.jpg [ 111.6 KiB | Viewed 19319 times ]
File comment: Had to change power steering bracket for AC and headers.
power steering bracket.jpg
power steering bracket.jpg [ 111.87 KiB | Viewed 19319 times ]

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:19 pm 

You're in project overload!

fuel use for a naturally aspirated engine is around 0.45 lb/hr-hp. Sitting at idle is a hard one to guess....the engine is putting out 0hp but all the friction is certainly eating fuel but that says its eating 25hp worth, that seems high but I just looked at my logs and did a little math and got 12.8 lb/hr so I guess its about right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:28 am 

I am very frustrated with the Holley set up. It really is struggling to learn. It stumbles and has stalled a couple times. It won't pull RPM. It hunts a bit at idle. If I accelerate very hard AFR goes to 8-9 and it can't run there.
I would expect Holley to have it closer. I did get e response from a paid forum admin that said there is no wizard for set up in Version 6 which is what this unit is upgraded to. You have to pick a global file that is close and start there. I did that but it is still very unhappy. Maybe I have missed something. I am going back over everything later and will see.
The Edelbrock carb is looking pretty good right now. I can drive that all day long without any tuning and the plugs look great.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:22 am 

EFI mapping can take quite a bit of time. I've never played with that specific unit but they all work pretty much the same, they just use different name for things sometimes.

I start by looking at the timing curve to see that it makes sense.

Then get it to start and idle. I turn off things like idle control and any mixture correction and accel enrichment features, so I know for sure its doing what I'm telling it to do. Once any idle control is off, hunting at idle means its a bit lean usually.

Then in neutral gentle go from idle to redline while looking at the WBO2 and adjusting the mixture.... that means working in the VE table.

Then, the next step depends on the ECU. In mine VE changes mostly with RPM not MAP reading so I can just copy the numbers I just found for each RPM into the rest of the cells in the RPM rows and it will be about right. For other ECUs VE increase as MAP increases so I do a proportion and say if this rpm 50kPa wants 30%VE, then 100kPa which is 2x the air pressure will be 2x the VE, so 60%. Once I fill in the top row, you can usually highlight and interpolate all the values in between.

Now it should drive, so drive and run a data log or have someone else drive while you watch what the WBO2 is saying and make corrections.

Once steady state is about right, turn on the accel enrichment stuff and play with the to add a enough fuel to get it to pull nice.

Warm up and cold start stuff take the longest.....all year usually because you need both cold and warm weather and once you start it its no longer a cold start so at least a couple hours before you can try again. I do it every morning I have time and maybe again when I get home from work until its pretty happy. Then just watch the weather for a day you might learn something.

So yeah, a carb that come factory jetted for your application is WAY faster to setup...you just bolt it on and it will be WAY better than poorly tuned EF. It will never be as good as well tuned EFI but well tuned EFI takes some time to do so that is really what it comes down to, quick and good or slow and great.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:30 am 

If you want me to take a you at the software and your maps/data logs let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:25 pm 

Thank you for looking and making changes. It is learning much more easily now. I have an oil leak to fix from the back of the intake and then we drive.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:14 am 

So, I resealed the intake and stopped the oil leak. Then the dip stick was leaking. Sealed that up and drove the truck to work. Ran great, learn is working. Pulls hard and is loud like the wife wanted.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:08 am 

Wait, wait, wait...you drove a project vehicle? is that allowed? :?

Congrats! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:08 am 

Yes, yes you can !! Now that the exhaust pipes are welded and sealed well, it sounds very nice. Has a deep rumble. She wanted louder, she got louder. Wife will be driving her all by herself today and we will see how that goes.

Attachments:
File comment: Hedman Headers fit like a glove and look really nice.
Headers.jpg
Headers.jpg [ 85.49 KiB | Viewed 19248 times ]
File comment: Added turn downs.
Turn Downs.jpg
Turn Downs.jpg [ 79.02 KiB | Viewed 19248 times ]
File comment: Reused the pipe and mufflers.
Newish exhaust.jpg
Newish exhaust.jpg [ 90.36 KiB | Viewed 19248 times ]
File comment: Took my girls to dinner
Driver.jpg
Driver.jpg [ 84.62 KiB | Viewed 19248 times ]

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:37 pm 

MerlinTech wrote:
Wife will be driving her all by herself today and we will see how that goes.

Well? What happened?