gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dinosaurus?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:34 am 

The other thing to note where red foxes are concerned is that in the USA they typically grow to a maximum of around 12 lbs. The current UK record is something like 37 lbs. This is because - due to the lack of higher predators, they are effectively filling the ecological niche that in your part of the world is filled by coyotes. What chance does a poor little hedgehog have when it's evolved to cope with a 12 lb attacker only to be suddenly faced by one that's twice that size? Sadly, few people over here understand this aspect, and fall for all the BS 'guns are bad, m'kay?' stuff they read in the gutter press.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:40 am 

islerodreaming wrote:
Welcome, I look forward to seeing this progress and the choices you make as you go along. You will also notice that we don't get bored easily here - most of us have been on the journey with Mark since the beginning on Fchat back in 07. Along the way we have learned about cars and engines and gearboxes and electric steering and houses and heating and cooling, fire fighting, paving and, a personal favourite, the pizza oven, so you will always have an audience for your ideas!

John

Thank you for your kind words! I find the variety of subjects on here very interesting, especially as most of us are in a similar stage in life - having to trade garage time for 'Official Freedom Credits', for one. I used to refer to the dictator in this house as 'The Long-Haired General' - but then she cut her tresses off, so I now call her many other things, depending on which part of the psychotic spectrum she is on that day/minute. I also particularly like the fact that as the site owner, Mark can simply vapourise any trolls as soon as/before they start polluting the atmosphere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:29 am 

West coast Sean is putting a 355 engine/trans on its subframe today and can measure anything you thing to ask for.

Still waiting to heard if anyone I know has 430/458 engine dimensions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:18 am 

mk e wrote:
West coast Sean is putting a 355 engine/trans on its subframe today and can measure anything you thing to ask for.

Still waiting to heard if anyone I know has 430/458 engine dimensions.

Fabulous! I'd like to know:

a) the distance from the front of the engine to the face where the bell-housing bolts on
b) the length of the bell-housing
c) the overall length of the trans
d) the length of the trans from the front face (where the back of the bell-housing bolts on) to the output shaft centreline
e) the engine width at the widest point of the cam covers
f) any other dimensions that seem sensible to know would also be most appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:50 am 

We hunt wild boar at night down south. Night vision scopes and such. They can really destroy property if left unchecked, so we "check" a few from time to time. I don't think there is a season for wild boar either.

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:15 am 

MerlinTech wrote:
We hunt wild boar at night down south. Night vision scopes and such. They can really destroy property if left unchecked, so we "check" a few from time to time. I don't think there is a season for wild boar either.

Yes, we had boar around here until recently (escaped boar x Tamworth), but the local farmers eventually managed to trap the last of them. I remember that when I first saw the damage they did, I thought it'd been done by some sort of large mechanical equipment! We shot a few before they were finally exterminated; they certainly tasted good! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:34 pm 

355 trans
front face to axle center = 5"
overall length = 23"

355 engine
length = 23"
Width = 26"

308 engine
length = 25.5" (This difference from 355 is most the accessories on the front)
width = 27"

Attachments:
355 trans.jpg
355 trans.jpg [ 153.68 KiB | Viewed 2277 times ]
355 front.jpg
355 front.jpg [ 164.62 KiB | Viewed 2277 times ]
355 rear.jpg
355 rear.jpg [ 663.18 KiB | Viewed 2277 times ]
355 acsessories.jpg
355 acsessories.jpg [ 804.36 KiB | Viewed 2277 times ]
308 acsessories.jpg
308 acsessories.jpg [ 769.98 KiB | Viewed 2277 times ]
308 front 2.jpg
308 front 2.jpg [ 693.72 KiB | Viewed 2277 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:58 pm 

Simply awesome - my sincerest thanks both to you and to your source! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:32 pm 

and notice that there is no visible flywheel..they moved that and the clutch to the back of the trans to move the axles closer to the engine....that setup is about as short on the engine side as could possible be done. I think that means that if you want 348 engine you'd still need a 355 crank as the trans shaft spline plug into it or end up needing an adapter which would add an inch or so more length.

So maybe I'm rethinking my recommendation to just use a 355 engine/trans and if you want more power you add a turbo since reworking the cams is a no-go...well google says there are some cam options at around $10-12k for the package (cams, lifters, springs) which make a turbo look cheap assuming 375hp isn't enough. My understanding is these respond really well to even low boost and put out around 600hp at 5-6psi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:22 pm 

I think we're narrowing the options down nicely - I had absolutely no idea about the 348 crank/355 trans thing, so that alone is extremely useful to know!

The way I plan to work is this - many years ago I bought a ten foot long surface table that is only a foot wide. It has a tee slot down the middle, and normally stands on legs that make it about three feet high. I intended to use it to make motorcycle frames, but in reality it just got in my way. Since it must weigh at least a ton, it's not exactly easy to move.

So - I recently lowered it down to about six inches from the ground and sat it on some thick steel plates that I made up. These in turn sit on some brackets that take steel scaffold poles (two at each end), which act as outriggers. They are about two inches apart, and at each end is a very heavy steel plate that takes an industrial castor wheel.

I've made up two sets of these 'legs' - one set is just wide enough to fit everything in place - it's simply to manoeuvre the table past all the various workshop obstructions. Once there, I'll fit the other set which are about the width of the car.

Each plate also carries a mounting point for a massive bolt that can be screwed down until it meets the ground. This will stop it moving when I don't want it to and also allow me to adjust for an uneven floor (which my garage sadly has). The end result should be nice and stable.

A couple of weeks ago I made a point of purchasing some industrial aluminium extrusions (about four inches by three inches wide/tall) which have several tee slots along three sides - these are also around the width of the car. I got them for scrap weight value - so for next to nothing (it helps who you know!). With them bolted to the surface table, I should end up with an extremely robust structure where all the horizontals are within a thou or two of each other (this is yet to be verified) so that I can undertake chassis welding operations with fixed reference points.

I've just taken a few photos of the chassis jig (here in 'mobile' format) - it should be noted that the camera's flash makes everything look rusty, when in reality it isn't! The long legs and bolt-on cross-members are strapped to the top ready for it to be wheeled into place. While I was in the welding bay with the camera I also snapped a couple of the bin racks that are a small part of my current garage re-vamp operation!

Attachments:
File comment: Some more of the racking I've been tidying up lately. Mig welder hiding bottom right.
DSC_0005a.jpg
DSC_0005a.jpg [ 726.16 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
File comment: Some of the racking I've been tidying up lately with a few of the 'tools that might be handy near the welders' in the background, including a little pillar drill that always carries a 4 mm bit - this is used for pilot holes for the big drill.
DSC_0004a.jpg
DSC_0004a.jpg [ 975.81 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
File comment: The table in its entirety with the Hitachi Tig welder beyond.
DSC_0003a.jpg
DSC_0003a.jpg [ 573.83 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
File comment: A close-up of one of the 'feet'.
DSC_0002a.jpg
DSC_0002a.jpg [ 574.61 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]
File comment: A view of the end of the surface table.
DSC_0001a.jpg
DSC_0001a.jpg [ 821.72 KiB | Viewed 2274 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next