gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 167  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:52 am 

a1exander wrote:
13 Washer 6,4 ? 07119931639 $0.24
14 Cap nut, chrome M6 ? 07119924324 $1.80

Acorn nuts which are chromed from a BMW M88 motor. The washer is relatively thick and specially designed to work with the nut.
A very close match to the acorn nuts on the 355 which tarnish over time.

I shall try and post a pic later.

Solid progress thus far.

cool.

The ones I bought are SS so not as shiny as chrome and I thought maybe a good look.....this is the kind of thing I'll probably be messing with until the day I sell the car.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:15 am 

Mark , great you are up and running again :roll: When this project is finished you will have to fill us all in on your side of both stories , but only then ??? I am just really happy to be back watching/following , great work .
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:55 pm 

Mark, great to see that your up and posting again, hope this is last site till finish, getting tired of making new user profiles :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:16 pm 

Montreal328 wrote:
Mark, great to see that your up and posting again, hope this is last site till finish, getting tired of making new user profiles :)

Well....this ones mine so I always get to stay ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:23 pm 

Great to be back with you, Mark.

"Gemelocttivo" ? Twin Eight? Wouldn't that be "Gemelotto?" or maybe "Gemelododici" - Twin Twelve. Not being critical, and not an Italian scholar, just curious. Maybe it isn't even Italian. Latvian maybe?

I do have a technical question, though. Your project and excellent documentation finally gave me the courage to tackle the heads on my 308 2v. I understand you are going to put the heads on with the cams installed and locked at TDC (presumably the same for the bottom end). Is there an engineering reason to install the heads with the cams installed? or can it be done without the cams, and install them later? I'm trying to decide which method is better right now.

BTW, I found two cracked thimbals (valve shim buckets) during head disassembly. I'm not familiar with the motorcycle shim-under-cap arrangement you are using. Does it use thimbals like the 308?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:35 pm 

Nevada Mike wrote:
Great to be back with you, Mark.

"Gemelocttivo" ? Twin Eight? Wouldn't that be "Gemelotto?" or maybe "Gemelododici" - Twin Twelve. Not being critical, and not an Italian scholar, just curious. Maybe it isn't even Italian. Latvian maybe?

Thanks
Gemello Cattivo or Evil Twin. It was a name I came up with the 308 V12 project some years back thinking I was trying to keep it looking pretty stock to the untrained eye away :)

Nevada Mike wrote:
I do have a technical question, though. Your project and excellent documentation finally gave me the courage to tackle the heads on my 308 2v. I understand you are going to put the heads on with the cams installed and locked at TDC (presumably the same for the bottom end). Is there an engineering reason to install the heads with the cams installed? or can it be done without the cams, and install them later? I'm trying to decide which method is better right now.
Quote:

Dig in! and post a thread ;)

I don't think there is a huge reason to do them 1 way or the other. I like the cams in so the shims and buckets stay put and exactly the way I set them but it means the head has to be handled more carefully becasue some of the valves are open and that means easy to damage. Pick your poison.

Nevada Mike wrote:
BTW, I found two cracked thimbals (valve shim buckets) during head disassembly. I'm not familiar with the motorcycle shim-under-cap arrangement you are using. Does it use thimbals like the 308?

Yes the motorcycle setup has buckets too. The only difference is ferrari puts the shims on top of the bucket to make valve adjustments easier, the sport bikes put the shims under the bucket to save weight and retain the shims better...at the cost of requiring the cams to be removed to do a valve adjustment. Again its a pick your poison game but with the cams I chose shim under is the only option.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:01 pm 

frikin aftermarket parts......

I just installed the intake and 8 have exactly the same retainer height as the the exhaust.....and 16 are different. I needed 3 spring kits and it looks like 2 were identical and 1 set had slightly different retainers. If you look at the top of the retainer you see the see the springs sit at different heights......so I need pull the 16 back apart to add another shim :(

Attachments:
1 2015-01-03 002.JPG
1 2015-01-03 002.JPG [ 190.23 KiB | Viewed 21779 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:29 pm 

Wait! the springs are exactly the same installed height. Everything about the retainers is different and it all works out....back lash shims

Attachments:
1 2015-01-03 003.JPG
1 2015-01-03 003.JPG [ 124.68 KiB | Viewed 21779 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:50 pm 

So once I was past the spring issue I moved on and quickly realized I'd gotten ahead of myself when I locked in the exhausts before setting lash on the intakes.....can't turn the intakes if the exhaust are in so exhaust back out.

Problem 2. the lash on 11 of the 12 valves did just what it should but #12 was 0.015" no matter what shim I put in.....clearly it's hanging up on something but finding out what wil have to wait for tomorrow and a fresh mind. I suspect it's the side of cam journal but we'll find out tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:03 pm 

Thank You Very Much,great update,Im makin progress ,,Thanks to,,,mk e , 308BigDaddy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 167  Next