gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 167  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:23 am 

Lowell_Brown wrote:
Circumference bolts bad. No bolts good. Remove center Image underscore lighting bolt logo, replace with Ferrari Prancing Horse like on the originals.

You and I are on the same page.

I think they need to be painted silver like the originals, painting over the Image logo on the rim. It's a lot of money and it kills me to buy NEW wheels for a 34 year old car the most people who have aftermarket stuff on are removing and dumping cheap....but they really are almost exactly what I've been thinking I want, stock 308 looking but wide and 18".......now to find the money.

I have 2 sets of 550 wheels so I need to get the old dry slicks off 1 set and see what they bring on eBay. Maybe while that is going on I can figure out exactly what sizes I'd want for the new wheels....the car is a little buried at the moment though. Also the tires on the car were on it when in moved to PA in 2002 and pretty frikin hard at this point and were cheap to start with because i wasn't sure what would fit, so that's another large expense.

I have 348 seats that i also tthink wete a mistake. I'm now thinking i need to track down a set of 308 seats in need of tlc and do some rework on them. We'll see

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:53 pm 

What are the deets on the 550 wheels and how much are you thinking?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:19 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

550 wheel are 8.5"F/10.5"R . From memory the offsets are 46mmF/32mmR and they have the standard bolt 5x108mm pattern. Then Fronts need a space to fit right, its like 25mmor so and I made studs front and rear. The rears bolt on and fit under the fender with no adapter, BUT I moved the lower shock mount in a lot.....1.625"?, I'd need to measure it.

The wheels with the slicks have a couple dings in the paint, maybe $1200? The set on the car are pretty nice so maybe $1500? and I'd through in the adapters, studs, lugs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:12 am 

Just get whatever wheels you can find cheap that you like the look of and weld up the holes and make them any bolt pattern you want :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:02 pm 

kkrace wrote:
Just get whatever wheels you can find cheap that you like the look of and weld up the holes and make them any bolt pattern you want :lol:

I drilled new holes is wheels once....but clearly already guess that. I cut and wrlded connecting rods once too :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 pm 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

550 wheel are 8.5"F/10.5"R . From memory the offsets are 46mmF/32mmR and they have the standard bolt 5x108mm pattern. Then Fronts need a space to fit right, its like 25mmor so and I made studs front and rear. The rears bolt on and fit under the fender with no adapter, BUT I moved the lower shock mount in a lot.....1.625"?, I'd need to measure it.

The wheels with the slicks have a couple dings in the paint, maybe $1200? The set on the car are pretty nice so maybe $1500? and I'd through in the adapters, studs, lugs.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten you were crazy enough to weld to the load bearing bosses of cast aluminum suspension components. :lol: :P

I guess I'll have to figure out something similar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Oh yeah, I had forgotten you were crazy enough to weld to the load bearing bosses of cast aluminum suspension components. :lol: :P

I guess I'll have to figure out something similar.

I am like that sometimes......but honestly it wasn't very hard to do. I made ears from 1/2" plate and welded then on so I had about 2-3" of weld per ear, they aren't going anywhere and 10.5" wheels easily fit under the fenders.....the real issue is the tires. I have 285s but I think if I do some work on wheel well 305 is possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 pm 

I was wondering about a fabricated steel part like I'm making for the Fiero.
Alternatively reworking the suspension to put the coil overs inside the wheels

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
I was wondering about a fabricated steel part like I'm making for the Fiero.
Alternatively reworking the suspension to put the coil overs inside the wheels

I'm going to need to see that fiero some day.

I don't think that's a good idea with coil-overs. Struts are designed for a bit of side loading so I'd wouldn't bother me, but shocks are not and just don't have the structure for the loads a setup like that would generate.

Maybe use a linkage and create an inboard type shock setup?

....way easier to just weld new ears on the carrier though ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 pm 

That whole structural welding the case aluminum thing...

Did you re-solutionize and age the part afterward, or are do you have the "young" metal in the weld and ears right up against the "old" metal in the castings?

I didn't mean that I'd turn the dampers into struts... not at all... just that I had been thinking about a fabricated steel part that would bolt up to the carrier on the original shock mount and the upper control arm mounts as well and carry an offset pivot for the coilover.

The plates shown should allow 18x11 rears with 315/30-18's on the Fiero.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 167  Next