gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 167  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 pm 

Integration always takes way longer than you expect.

Waaaaaaaaaay longer.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~Arthur C. Clarke

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:22 pm 

mk e wrote:
MoTeC products are now officially on my "do not buy" list...the company is infested with lying assholes as far as I can tell.

Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to pathfind that for me. ;)

Sucks that they're such jerks... kinda like AT&T's tendency to brick your phone because they feel like it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:46 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
mk e wrote:
MoTeC products are now officially on my "do not buy" list...the company is infested with lying assholes as far as I can tell.

Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to pathfind that for me. ;)

Sucks that they're such jerks... kinda like AT&T's tendency to brick your phone because they feel like it.

I was so excited when I got that ecu. I'd known they were coming for about 4 years before they finally released them and I sold off my M800 stuff about 6 months prior to so I could get a good price...waited and finally got the wonderful new model.

And it is REALLY nice when it's fully enabled and if there weren't any upgrades the limits and quirks of partially enabled units probably wouldn't bother me as much, but once you see what the unit can do it becomes obvious why their are roadblocks at what seems like every turn in the setup.

You can still get away with this if you are the only one offering the features...but when you can charge extra for items that are considered basic without pissing off your customers. Like logging, they do now offer basic logging "free" on the M1xx ecus, but it's a version that is inferior to what came free with ecus I had 15 years ago and by charging for the version that is roughing equivalent to other ECUs today. 15 years ago they were the only ones to have logging like this and people were happy to pay for it because it was in the delighter category.....but time always moves the bar and delighters become basic expectations over time but the people at motec seems not to understand basic product/feature life cycle .....which has effect of creating custom dissatisfaction and in some cases like me extreme dissatisfaction.

No matter, the money arrive last last and it ships to a new home today.

On the other side of the coin I got I got an email last night from enginelab telling me the issues I found are fixed in the version of FW that came out yesterday and offering to go through my model to optimize it a bit so it runs faster/better. I was really hesitant to jump in with enginelab since I'd have to create the whole model from scratch, but really wasn't too bad and they been quite helpful and as far as I can tell it's does everything a fully enabled M150 does which I didn't expect for 1/3 the cost leaving me delighted!

Attachments:
Kano chart.JPG
Kano chart.JPG [ 50.59 KiB | Viewed 10321 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:49 am 

apalrd wrote:
Integration always takes way longer than you expect.

Waaaaaaaaaay longer.

I know :(

Last night I quickly fixed the tiny whole left in the radiator then spent an hour+ straightening fins the fan had hit , a little more time to clean up brackets I made for years ago and get it back in the cars.....2.5 hours gone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:42 am 

Just wanted to thank you for this great post. Anyone who has tried to navigate the subculture world of Milspec or CPC connectors knows what a confusing maze it is, and there are so many rabbit holes that lead to dead ends, that at the end of a full fruitless day of researching, you're liable to have forgotten what it was you were researching in the first place......

Mark (or apaird) why don't one of you start a thread on automotive wiring and connectors, and we could all contribute what little we know. Although I'm a EE, I'll be the first to admit I get overwhelmed REALLY quickly whenever I open up the Amphenol catalog...... Besides that, I'm 65, and just don't have the patience anymore for extended learning curves, especially those that are only liable to stay with me a week or two because I suffer from CRS syndrome (Can't Remember Sh*t) :)

apalrd wrote:
If you get the -E007 variants of the plugs, they have an additional 'tail' on the end for heat shrink to grab the connector. The receptacles don't need this since all of the mating features are internal and you can heat shrink around the entire body of the connector.

If you want them more cheaply, we've bought Amphenol brand ATM series connectors (which are inter-mateable with Deutsch DTM) from Newark. However, they don't stock the Amphenol's equivalent to the -E007 variants so we are now buying Deutsch connectors from Prowire.

If you need a large pin count connector (such as a firewall pass-through), the best connector is a MIL-DTL-38999 type. The Deutsch type AS ('Autosport') is a variant of the 38999 series 2 (bayonet lock) and can intermate with a series 2 38999. The AS type connectors have a knurled ring on the end for heat shrink to grab, the real 38999's will have a thread for a backshell to connect (38999's are normally used in military and aerospace where 100% shield is required, even through the connector, so they have a metal backshell). If these are too expensive, Deutsch makes some round connectors (HD10,HD20,HD30), the HD10 and HD20's are plastic and cheaper.

If you need CAD models of the connectors, https://laddinc.com/ is where I usually go for that, go to the 'interactive product finder' to find the connector, then go to 'drawings' on the connector page and they have STEP files

Also, not sure what crimping tools you have, but we use the round nickel-plated solid connectors, not the stamped ones. These seem to work better for us.

We also make our own fuse/relay box out of a Deutsch EEC box, this is very compact and totally sealed. However, our loads are low enough that we can get away with ganging 2-4 DTM 7a pins for the high current lines, but you would probably need something higher current.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:56 am 

http://gemellocattivo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=174

It's really quite difficult to find anything on a connector manufacturers website, or even Newark/Digikey/.. because the selection is just so huge.

At least once you pick a series (DTM or 38999), you can do a parametric search within that usually. With both of them, you can 'build' a part number if you know exactly what you want.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~Arthur C. Clarke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:55 pm 

Axles in and you can also see the pretty new battery cable.

Attachments:
2015-11-21 001.JPG
2015-11-21 001.JPG [ 344.5 KiB | Viewed 10302 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:54 pm 

I got the water pump pulley on, alternator in and belt on.....it was not as easy as I expected because the timing chain tensioner bolt is now sticking out because there's a timing chain in the engine and that was not the case when I did the fab work on the belt stuff....but I figured it out eventually and its good now.

Then I realize I forgot to make the water tube for the front on the engine, I got it about 1/2 done before shop time ended for the day.

In other news after having a look through my model it seems engienlab will be including parts of it in the general purpose model they're building and have asked if I can help with some other development and testing. Talk about the the polar opposite of my motec experience!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 am 

agh...the alternator to starter wire is 4" short! That's going to delay a few things a bit I fear :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:49 am 

Beautiful work as usual Mark.
But still can't wrap my head around how are you going to transfer all that power between the tires and the ground. I was just watching ''supercar fails'' videos about guys giving a bit of gas to these powerful engines and spinning them into oblivion (ditch) and a lot of them from straight line! Unless you put on 5 feet wide tires or have badass traction control (I think you did mention that) better have good airbags! (next 308 mod!!!) Anyhow, really looking forward to the firing up of this thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1670 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 167  Next