gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:02 pm 

FIRST POST! I OWN CHASSIS!

So I'm making spherical bearing shells to fit the control arms in my Fiero.

Like these:

http://secure.chassisshop.com/partlist/6455/

But with custom profiled exteriors to fit the Fiero control arms.

I will be using spacers cut from 3/4" drill rod in order to clamp the spherical bearing between the mounting tabs with the through bolt.

The problem is rod grit and rain water will wear the spherical bearing quickly.

The rear control arm pivots are coaxial, and the motion is purely rotational, so I can use a shaft seal that installs in the housing and seals to the spacer. Housing ID isn't set yet, but can be as small as 1 3/16" or as big as 1 3/8".

However, the pivots in the front lower arms are neither coaxial nor even parallel. This will cause planar in addition to rotational motion and is the reason I have to use a spherical bearing and can't use sleeve bearings or needles.

Are there shaft seals that can tolerate shafts with significant eccentricity relative to the housing bore?
Are there motorcycle brake caliper piston dust boots available for piston diameters 19-25mm and housing diameters 31-35mm?

Any other thoughts on what I could use to seal these?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:16 am 

Will, maybe give these folks a try: http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/rodobal ... -ends-633/

They make dust boots for rose joints on rod ends; perhaps they'll have something suitable?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:51 pm 

how about these?
http://www.midwestcontrol.com/part.php? ... gQodjGUAmQ

Attachments:
sealed rod end.jpg
sealed rod end.jpg [ 20.12 KiB | Viewed 13170 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:51 am 

Whoops... I didn't get any notifications about this topic.

cribbj wrote:
Will, maybe give these folks a try: http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/rodobal ... -ends-633/

They make dust boots for rose joints on rod ends; perhaps they'll have something suitable?

Thanks! I've seen those "whole rod end" boots before.
Right now I'm looking for ways to seal a "naked" spherical bearing installed in a shell... That makes it much easier to install them in various production control arms.

mk e wrote:

I'm not sure how many manufacturers of those sealing washers there are... but I've worked with the Pro-Works version before. They're... not impressive. The washers may also have problems fitting inside the shells.

Additionally, the '84-'87 Fieros have a particularly primitive front suspension in which the lower control arm pivots are neither co-axial nor parallel, which adds and eccentric component to the bushing motion. Having the washer inside the shell may not allow enough angular deflection to work in that application.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:17 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

Are you subscribed and not getting emails? i just noticed the other day my ecu forum is not emailing me about PMs but when I send an email through the system it goes so no idea what's up with that.

But you have me wondering if this one is broken too?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:15 pm 

mk e wrote:
TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:

Are you subscribed and not getting emails? i just noticed the other day my ecu forum is not emailing me about PMs but when I send an email through the system it goes so no idea what's up with that.

But you have me wondering if this one is broken too?

Actually... it looks like I wasn't subscribed; which is weird because I started this thread. I received an email about the M3 thread, to which I also subscribed, but the links weren't "live", they were just text.