gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Ferrari 3408 project
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:05 pm 

Not sure if this goes in "chassis" or "engines"...
but it's Mark's forum, so he can move it if he wants.

Last edited by TheDarkSideOfWill on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Ferrari 3408 project
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:06 pm 

This is heavier than I expected, but not totally unexpected.

The transmission is MUCH larger than it looks in this photo. It's probably immensely strong. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it weighs 200 lbs.

Less 200 for the transmission and 35 for the palet leaves 460 for a complete engine. That's not bad for a *fully dressed* DOHC V8, but not exceptional either. Ferrari needs to step up to nylon intake manifolds like GM and BMW.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:06 pm 

Also took some upskirt photos of a Mondial T:

The crossmember configuration is different than it is for the 308 body, but that's not such a big deal. I can cut out the existing crossmembers and weld in new ones in the Mondial/348 locations. The fact that the one under the engine bolts in even allows the oil pan to be dropped with the engine in car. That's more thought toward maintenance than goes into a heck of a lot of cars on the market.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:08 pm 

But... for a car that's covered 4500 miles in 38 years (averaging under 119 miles a year!) and ended up on ebay with no engine... it clearly hasn't had a lot of love.
While the collector says "Look at what a mess this is!", The restorer says "It's ALL HERE!". The chassis is amazingly complete for having donated its engine to a more needy recipient. The engine was even removed with care; nothing was cut getting it out.

No love... Until now.

A 308 in its natural habitat:

I didn't take pics, but I'm pretty sure it still had the original tires on it. They were disasters. Only one of the four even held air.

While the wheels were off (which was actually easy to achieve!) I looked around the wheel houses a bit.

Ooopsie

That's not supposed to point that direction.

Zoomed:

Above is the forward inner pivot of the left front lower control arm.

Here's the corresponding location on the right side:

Here's the surrounding metal, left:

And right:

It was apparently gooned up quite impressively. I'll have to see if my dad's semi-retired friend with a frame machine can get Ferrari specs.

Also, the forward inner pivot of the left rear lower arm:

It's a little hard to tell from the angles of the photos (and the lens), but the left one is twisted relative to the right... maybe by the same object that did the damage at the front end:

Also, I don't know where this wheel was on the car originally, but it hasn't had a nice life either:

The result?
Still engineless, but now shod with Pep Boyz finest to make it rollable in preparation for moving it from my dad's house to my garage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:10 pm 

This is definitely accident damage of some type... I'm guessing it was a rough terrain shunt rather than an impact, as the body seems still to be straight. There's some filler over the right front fender that I have yet to figure out, though.

There are also some dings on the top and side of one of the primary rear structural tubes that's making me scratch my head.

It's hardly built like a tank, but this isn't tin foil. It's been knocked around a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:10 pm 

So... this happened:

But then this happened:

So this had to happen:

But all that led to this happening:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:11 pm 

Introductions are in order:

How DO you do?
How do YOU do?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:11 pm 

I noticed this about the roof latches:

Left:

More Left:

Right:

When the left one is latched, the right one is off by the almost width of the slot. I'm not sure if this is famous late '70's Ferrari build quality or another indicator that the car's been smacked around.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:12 pm 

Inspiration.
The extreme bling on the cam covers is growing on me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:20 pm 

My daydream for this car would be to EVENTUALLY do a 4 liter build in a 360 engine bolted up to a 355 transaxle (6 speed instead of the 348's five speed, but otherwise the same).

In order to hook a 355 Transaxle up to a 360 engine, I'll need the 348/355 rear cover and either a 348/355 oil pan or to modify the 360 oil pan.
Since the 360 crank trigger is on the flywheel, I'll need a 355 front cover to mount a crank sensor. Since Ferrari completely reworked the accessory drive and swapped the alternator and A/C compressor from the 355 to the 360, I'll need 355 accessory brackets as well.

Actually, I found most of that on ebay already, even for really good prices.

Such a beast wouldn't be complete without 355 throttles, but those are pretty dear... the cheapest sets I've found in the $2200 range.

Inside the engine, I'd go for a billet crank with NASCAR 1.850 rod journals, as Ferraris beat up their bearings with the OE rod journal size, and NASCAR parts are made to go 9500+ RPM. That is @$$uming that the bearing widths work out in the available space.

The 348/355 transaxles use a splined shaft engaging the crankshaft directly... I'm not sure if I'd have that made into the crank like Ferrari did or have a custom hub made to bolt up to a "normal" Ferrari flywheel bolt circle.

Combo should be good for over 500 to the wheels, especially if I can convince Mark to tutor me in the ways of porting and enhancing the cinquevalvole heads a little bit.

Of course the sex appeal of the 5 valve heads is why I'd start with a 360 engine.

Did the block deck heights increase between the 3.0 and the 3.6?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next