gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:45 pm 

Oh, do the stockers crack when used with slicks?

Where is said project?

I've already started on something similar for the Fiero. The hardest part is actually getting the parking brake to work right. I'm using a Mitsubishi shoe with C6 Corvette expander in a bespoke expander block...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:21 pm 

Yes. The stub axle failes and wheel falls off. A post will come soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:59 am 

Ahh, so it's not the hub carrier, it's the rotating part

How am I supposed to get in on a project that's still secret? :P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:02 am 

mk e wrote:
I guess.....but pretty much everyone who races has figured out more camber is needed at the track with sticky tires.

Right, but with CF wheels, the static camber needs are lower because the wheels don't give as much due to the cornering forces. Lower static camber means better straight line performance and improved tire wear in normal driving.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:09 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Ahh, so it's not the hub carrier, it's the rotating part

How am I supposed to get in on a project that's still secret? :P

Yes, the rotating stub axle that both transfers the engine torque and supports the wheel. They break right outside the bearing, the OD is just too small and the inside corner radius too tight and they fail.

I'll start a thread. I'm not leading it because its not my car with a broken axle scheduled to be at an AX in 2 weeks....its been a long time since I was working on the "ready by next race" schedule.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:18 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
mk e wrote:
I guess.....but pretty much everyone who races has figured out more camber is needed at the track with sticky tires.

Right, but with CF wheels, the static camber needs are lower because the wheels don't give as much due to the cornering forces. Lower static camber means better straight line performance and improved tire wear in normal driving.

I'm not disagreeing really....i do question the improved straight line performance a bit because its unclear to me...there must be some reduction in rolling resistance with less chamber and toe but I'm unclear how measurable in laptimes it is. It seems like for now most teams still believe that overall a bent but attached and able to get to the pits alum wheel is still better than a lighter but detached CF wheel and have stuck with alum....for now.

On the street...the days when street tire grip was well below track tire grip are kind of gone so even street cars need more camber to perform well and that lead to all the issues you mention. I clearly see the advantages of CF wheels on street cars.

jsut thoughts, not sure any of them are right of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:32 am 

With more static camber, the inner edge of the tire deforms that much more than the outer edge, so that may increase rolling resistance.

Both CR and Koenigsegg say that a CF wheel can take a much harder hit than an aluminum wheel without losing tire pressure... even to the point that if the CF wheel does lose pressure, the hit was hard enough that you likely have bent/broken suspension components and the car isn't going anywhere anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:25 pm 

And yet race teams don't run them.....could be cost but my cpuple track friends all were opposed to my CF wheel plan because "cf wheels brake", they followed with, "maybe for the street their ok". I found that odd based on what I'd read but both had a story or 2 to support what they were saying. I remember cf motorcycle wheels were out back in the mid 90s when I was racing....i kept hearing this team or that was testing with them but to this day I don't thing I've seen one race. Not sure way, the basic data for them seems great.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:17 pm 

Like the author of the article said, CF wheels are prohibited in every racing series...

How much side loading do motorcycle wheels get vs. car wheels?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:26 pm 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
Like the author of the article said, CF wheels are prohibited in every racing series...

There is usually a reason for that ;)

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
How much side loading do motorcycle wheels get vs. car wheels?

None. It was about gyro effect and dropping into the turns. Google says they were in moto GP until 2015 and removed as part of the cost reductions.

F1 I'd guess the 13" puts them too close to the brakes to really work?

Not sure about other classes. Remembering back I'm pretty sure racing buddy stories were most likely track days, probably Porsche club....quite a decent they break, no idea exactly which wheels though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next