gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Ferrari 3408 project
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 am 

I used on of these on a custom Boxer resto mod. It works and mounts with not much fabrication.
http://store.revolutionbrake.com/mrparepabrso.html

Engine Machinist
Fabricator
Racecar Driver

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:11 am 

I've seen mechanical spot calipers before, but I like the compactness of the drum-in-hat setup better.
I'll keep it in mind, and we'll see how things work out. I'm actually a loooooooong way from having the inspection held up for lack of a parking brake.

Received pics of the disassembled engine from Scott... May be able to post some tonight.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:08 am 

mk e wrote:
This is going to be Grrrreat!

Manifolds are easy ;)

5V cams are NOT so you're limited there if you go 355/360......and for sure the 5V heads don't flow that much better than the 4V heads can......mine flow about 15% more then a stock 5V head, but you can at least match the 5V without moving valve locations and then you can have whatever cam you want which will add much more than you'll get from stock cams and ported 5v heads....I think.

not sure the on the deck heights but for sure 348 liners also fit 355/360 and rod lenght is the same going back into the 60s think so I don't think the deck is taller and if it is its not by much.

Cat Cams has a grind for the 355 ;)
http://www.catcams.com/products/camshaf ... TUP_id=417

291 @ 0.1mm and 254 @ 1.0mm duration on the intake side.
Do the 355 and 360 have the same snout machining on the intake cams?

Do the 355 and 360 use the same snout machining on the exhaust cams?

I would LOVE to try 10-20 degrees more duration on one of the "end" intake lobes in each cylinder in order to induce swirl to help combustion in the relatively flat chamber.

Madhatter wrote:
Are you looking for a 360 engine complete or most of one? I ask because we have a 360 engine that was damaged due to a real shitty rebuild and has been completely torn down. The cost of rebuilding it to stock form isn't worth it and the parts are of no real use for our projects. As a heads up there is no crank and the rods and pistons are no good. One liner is thrashed and was removed and the cams have a broken variator. If your interested let me know, oh yeah I don't have an intake plenum either. Sounds like a bunch a junk when I write it out.. :( on the plus side it sounds like a great start for what you want to do as well.

*AAAAANNNNNDDDD* this "engine" is on its way to my dad's house.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 am 

The 360 has the variable cam stuff.....I would assue something has to be different, nut that they couldn't be adapted.

Thats lot of duration....more than I have. I'm like 272 @.006" = 0.15mm. No numbers are magic but normally high seat duration makes it difficult to maintain lower rpm perfomance...it really depends on what the low lift flow numbers look like.

Congrats on the "new" engine! You're home in the fall you said?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:14 am 

TheDarkSideOfWill wrote:
A 308 in its natural habitat:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:24 am 

LOL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:59 pm 

mk e wrote:
Ferrari rods are 137mm or 5.394"......there is no way you are getting a 6" rod in there I don't think...unless you cut and weld it shorter (which I've done and ran them in a road race H-D for 2 seasons BTW)

The steel 348 rods you have are pretty nice....I would just use them. A lot of Honda stuff looks like they copied it from ferrari....there might be an affordable aftermarket rod out there that is close enough to use if you dig a bit.

So I also stumbled on this: http://www.todaracingusa.com/ferrari.asp

They have an 85mm crankshaft. No prices in sight, but if you have to ask...

Oh wait, here's a listing for the crankshaft for a measly ~$13k USD: https://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/produc ... erkit.html

137mm rod over an 85mm stroke makes a 1.61 rod ratio... Not great for an engine turning 9,000, but Hondas go that low and turn that fast as well.

With Nick's 89mm bore kit, that 85mm crank would make 4230cc's... getting up there for a Dino V8.

To use stock length rods (since they don't list a rod anywhere) with an 85mm stroke, the Toda pistons must raise the pin 3mm. That would allow a 140mm rod with the original 79mm stroke, which makes a 1.77:1 rod ratio and about 3930cc's, or about 7.6% less displacement.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:54 am 

Is this project getting a slot on the schedule again?

My 1st thought is that getting enough flow to fill the cylinders to 9k with a 4.2l displacement will be a challenge. If the goal is more torque, more drive-ablity then no issue but means lower peek hp rpm but to actually get it to peek at 9k....you'll need to find 20% more flow? doable but I think as the 5v heads are pretty good to start with so not trivial. But more cam, seat work....maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:50 pm 

I want the short block to be able to max out the heads. For practical purposes, the lower that RPM is the better... down to about 8k. If peak power RPM gets much below that, I'd build a Cadillac instead of a Ferrari. ... oh, wait. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9