gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Car Owners here?
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:55 pm 

I own a 1990 Honda Civic and I'm browsing for a new set of wheels from 4WheelOnline. There's so many to choose from, but I'm digging the look of Rockstar wheels. Will it be worth it?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Any Car Owners here?
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:43 am 

Worth it is a very tough question.

Money wise, absolutle y not! Nice wheels and tires will cost more than the book value of the the whole car and are really hard to resell so best case you sellthem separate and get 1/2 your money back but 1/4 your money is more likely.

So money wise its a terrible idea and you should just drive the car but there is more to life than money and spending it something that makes you happy isn't a horrible thing...but understand it is to make you happy nothing more. Here is where you need to be careful though if you need the car to actually drive and be transportation. Normally when people by new wheels they go wider and larger diameter to put on wide low profile tires becaseu they look cool. Those bigger diameter wheels are heavier sop they will reduce acceleration a little (3-5hp mearusee ona dyno) and the weight plus low profile will make the ride harsher, but I'm guessing the stock suspension is mush anyway so it may feel like an improvement.

The big one though is hydroplaning. Wide tires hyrdoplane and the lighter the car the less tire width it will tolerate before hydroplaning becomes a problem. Years ago I had a suxuki swift GT which wegithed about 1800lb and came with the WIDE 165 tires ( :) )...so not wide at all but the car was nearly undriveable in the rain, I had to slow down to 45-50 on the highway and more on back roads that didn't drain well. The base model had a 130 tire (IIRC) and if had no issues at all in the rain, much better choice but I couldn't down grade becasue the GT also had the BIG 14" wheels instead of 13" standard and larger brakes so the 13s wouldn't fit. Another similar story is I replaced a 2007 VW jetta base model with a 2011 BMW 328xi....both cars are similar size weight but the BWM wiser tires and hydroplanes like a mother when they are at all worn vs the jetta that wthat drove fine even on mostly bald tires....and the jetta tires cost 1/2 at much along with lasting twice as long. I like the BMW and love the all wheel drive but its really expensive to use as a comuter car between the need for good tires in good shape and the need to for premium fuel while only giving 22ish mpg......it does make me miss the jetta about twice a week when I fill it up or whne the front end starts dancing around in the rain and I've got a death grip on the wheel as a result.

So while wheels do really change the way a car looks, they also change the way it works and you do need to think about that.....when you start changing parts you are re-engineering the car so be sure you understand the how the changes you make will change the car's behavior.

So...worth it is a tough question :)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 pm 

That is really impressive and thorough. I like it. Of course, I consider the function and if it would fit really well with my car. When it comes to tires, there's a lot of option you can choose from. You can have tires specifically for winter, or you can have something that is good for all-season and weather condition, and also with good dirt and mud traction. It's rather situational and you just have to choose that suits well to your driving environment. And it wouldn't be bad to indulge yourself with a badass looking car. Hahaha :D

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:54 am 

As long as you are understanding it is an indulgance you are thinking correctly. What I usually do is price out what I'm thinking I want then list what I believe I'm getting for the money.....then look at other ways to get the same thing like what if I sold the car and put that money with the money I planned to spend to upgrade, what could I have then? Or something like that. Yes just buying wheel/tries is easy and make the car more yours....but perhaps you'd be happier just buying a nicer car? A 1990 civic is fine transportation but its not exactly god's gift to handling or acceleration or coolness

If you are talking about different tires for diffferent seasons that costs money so it should be on your spend list. Also while mud/snow tries while they will probably solve the hydroplane issues you're sure to have with wide tires ona a light car they don't have nearly the dry grib standard or even all season tires provide and also are loud and genrally don't have the same ride quality or proivide the same feedback as those aren't as important in mud/snow contitions.

Years ago I learned that my "toy" and my transportation just can't be the same car if I want either econimical/reliable transportation or performance/fun or weekends. Now I have a daily car I spend as little as possible on (the BWM was totaled and rebuild and I got it for much less than a replacement jetta) and drive it until it dies...I try to stay under 10 cents/mile total cost to buy/drive. Then I have a toy where cost is almost no object. That works for me...I find its WAY easier not to spend on the daily driver when your real baby is home and needs every cent you can find :)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm 

That's a good way to use your money efficiently. I'm glad that you're really into this kind of thing. Well, I do have a sentimental attachment with my 1990 civic and I just hate the thought of neglecting any care or upgrade I could give to it. In terms of the tires, I think Toyo tires is a great contender. I read their tires catalog and it says that it has better hydroplaning resistance and a quieter ride. It's a suggestion given by my younger brother. Maybe I should focus on getting these first and then changing the rims. I also own an SUV as well, it's a 2012 Subaru Forester. I use it mainly for work and family purposes.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:25 am 

The reviews on tirerack have not steered me wrong yet...maybe have a look there.

If you're going with basically stock size tires you should not have any real problrmd...i was talking about the norm with custom wheels which is 2 inch larger diameter and 1+ inch wider, that is when you have problems.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:26 pm 

I agree it's good to trust customer satisfaction reviews as well. And I have to take your word as well. Thanks a lot mk e, you've been a really big help and I appreciate it. :D