gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: mk e's Shop remodel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:59 am 

Brian A wrote:
mk e wrote:
...I may thought a cat5 cable in there too....music wasn't playing in the garage yesterday now that the wall faci g the house is covered with metal lath :?
A good idea, paticularly now that more and more stuff is controlled via wifi/ethernet.

I was getting weak wifi reception in my garage just because my Wireless Access Point was on the other side of a shearwall/firewall. I ended up running a Cat5 directly to my garage Apple TV, but can now use it to feed another WAP if I want.

Thinking about it, a remote shop might be an ideal place for some of the new tech.

Seems like it would be great to be able to use a smart phone to turn on the heater from the house or to confirm the air compressor is turned off at the end of the day.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:36 pm 

Brian A wrote:
Thinking about it, a remote shop might be an ideal place for some of the new tech.

Seems like it would be great to be able to use a smart phone to turn on the heater from the house or to confirm the air compressor is turned off at the end of the day.

I hadn't thought about the compressor but was thinking that being able to set the thermostat remotely might be helpful. I have about an hour 15 drive home so that would be enough time to have the shop at temp and ready.

I honestly have no idea what's involved in even getting a hardline working out there....i know where the paper they gave me with the Wi-Fi password is but since they set it all up I never ever looked at it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:04 pm 

mk e wrote:
Brian A wrote:
I honestly have no idea what's involved in even getting a hardline working out there....i know where the paper they gave me with the Wi-Fi password is but since they set it all up I never ever looked at it.
Ha! You are me a year ago.

Its very easy. On the house side, you have to plug the garage Cat5 cable either into your existing cable modem or into an ethernet "switch". A "switch" is bascially a splitter which gives you a place to plug in a bunch of Cat5 cables into one place. Cable modems typically have a switch built into them and that is why there maybe several ports to plug Cat5 cables in the back of your modem. No configuration is required.

On the garage side, if you are going to buy a bunch of wifi devices (such as the $20 TP-Link smart plug), you'll have to setup a wifi access port (WAP) in your garage using your garage Cat5 cable. A WAP is another little box you plug into an Ethernet cable. The WAP gives you a strong wifi signal in the garage. It can use the same network and password as in the house so that you can go from house to garage to house without wifi interuption on your phone. (And .. if you locate the WAP properly in the garage you might get good wifi all across the backyard as well.) (To use a smart plug for the compressor, you will probably have to use it to drive a relay since a compressor probably draws too many amps for that little switch designed to turn on coffee pots from bed.)

You might check to see if there are special Cat5 cables that are specific for underground installation, though I doubt there is any difference.

Welcome to the wonderful world of computer crap. Bwahahaha.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:06 pm 

I've not looked closely at the Verizon install, but I'm pretty sure it's like the Comcast setup with a cable wifi modem in my study ....which is not a helpful location for...well anything.

There is a box a the basement but I need to see what's on it.....i know they feed the tv signal back outside to the original splitter location to come back into the house. The work clusterfuck comes to mind.

I'll need to look at it all......in my spare time.

The compressor has an on/off switch on the pressure switch which is a relay.....i was thinking I could probably the into that once I get to that step of the install.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:29 am 

mk e wrote:
I've not looked closely at the Verizon install, but I'm pretty sure it's like the Comcast setup with a cable wifi modem in my study ....which is not a helpful location for...well anything.

There is a box a the basement but I need to see what's on it.....i know they feed the tv signal back outside to the original splitter location to come back into the house. The work clusterfuck comes to mind.

I'll need to look at it all......in my spare time.

The compressor has an on/off switch on the pressure switch which is a relay.....i was thinking I could probably the into that once I get to that step of the install.

You might be able to do everything you want with an Amazon Echo? There are an assortment of devices that work with it? As far as the compressor I only turn mine off when I go away for a few days. I put a ball valve on the output and just shut or open that. With the ball valve closed the comp never turns on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:07 am 

kkrace wrote:

You might be able to do everything you want with an Amazon Echo? There are an assortment of devices that work with it? As far as the compressor I only turn mine off when I go away for a few days. I put a ball valve on the output and just shut or open that. With the ball valve closed the comp never turns on.

First I need a signal out there i guess.

I do the same, close the ball valve and it stays off. My concern is just that in the basement it didn't matter if it turned on.....but "outside" it's a problem. I think I won't do anything until I have soffits, insulation and such then recheck the noise. Also I'm not sure how lazy I'll be about running up stairs to open/close the ball valve....i can be pretty lazy.

I skipped working Monday...seeing slow out there kept me in, but last night I mounted the breaker panel and realized I have a knockout problem with the basement panel...the pool and a sub panel have eaten the big knockouts so I need to rearrange conduits so it's not all crossing and ugly. That will be tonight I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:20 am 

Slow going but I redid the conduit and rewired the basement subpanel then finished the conduit for garage power. I had to buy new wire for the basememt panel and trapped the wire for the garage panel too plus a new wire fish..... $450. painful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 pm 

mk e wrote:
kkrace wrote:

First I need a signal out there i guess.

I do the same, close the ball valve and it stays off. My concern is just that in the basement it didn't matter if it turned on.....but "outside" it's a problem. I think I won't do anything until I have soffits, insulation and such then recheck the noise. Also I'm not sure how lazy I'll be about running up stairs to open/close the ball valve....i can be pretty lazy.

I skipped working Monday...seeing slow out there kept me in, but last night I mounted the breaker panel and realized I have a knockout problem with the basement panel...the pool and a sub panel have eaten the big knockouts so I need to rearrange conduits so it's not all crossing and ugly. That will be tonight I guess.

You could run steel pipe from the compressor and put a ball valve downstairs by the light switch? Mine never kicks on once the ball valve is closed since there is zero leakage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:32 pm 

kkrace wrote:

You could run steel pipe from the compressor and put a ball valve downstairs by the light switch? Mine never kicks on once the ball valve is closed since there is zero leakage

Mine is the same, I just shut the ball valve and the compressor stays off. My plan now is to hard plumb air lines to useful places...which would mean multiple valves, but probably still ok.

Today the weather is nasty but I got outside when the rain stopped and finished pulling the 1/0 wires out to the panel....and as off about 10 minutes ago the compressor if plugged into and running off an outlet in the garage. Not sure why I started with the compressor and not say...lights, but that's what I did. next will be a wall outlets so I can put away the extension cords and then lights I guess.

Friday I got the 2nd wall scratch coated then Saturday expecting bad weather today I worked like a dog and did walls 3 and 4, which it turns out are the largest...24 80# bags of mortar mix saturady....every muscle in my body ached. Now it nees a brown coat (same thing I just did but smooth instead of grooved, then the finish coat. Lana is pushing hard to hire the finish coat done as she doesn't trust me to be able to actually match the house, and she's probably right and I would love to hard off some work.....I just hate to have to pay for it :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 am 

Just a suggestion on lighting: If you plan on using 4' T8 fixtures go with LED tubular bulbs. They draw a fraction of the current florescents do and are really bright. In my old garage there was one 15A circuit servicing two 2-tube overheads. Barely lit the place, and there was no way to run another circuit. Replaced them with 4 single-tube LED fixtures and it's like daylight in there now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 54  Next