gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:17 am 

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do with my shop floor...so far the options are:

1) just leave it. Sure it will get stained and bare concrete is a bit dusty but leaving it costs nothing and it can't get scratched.

2) Commercial grade epoxy finish. This looks great and is very durable....but it costs $2500-$4000 (based on 850sqft)

3) home grade epoxy. Looks great the day its installed, but always seems to lift under tires...cost about $500

3) Paint. Looks good on day1, but it will scratch and peel....but at under $150 install cost and under $75 re-coast cost it can be redone or touched up often

4) clear sealer. My floor is pretty new and only has a few stains so a clear sealer would keep dust down and not look bad....$50, recoat every 2-3 years.

5) Ceramic Tile. Looks great...gout lines stain and it can be a little slippery, dropped tools will crack it....

6) racedeck or similar. Expensive and how does oil and coolant spills not end up under it and small parts stuck in it? For me this sure seems like a mistake

I'm leaning toward a clear sealing. it seems hard to go wrong.

I was kind of primer followed by "1 part epoxy" which I'm pretty sure is just acrylic paint that gasoline and tires will strip off....I'm just not sure how excited I am about the touch-up/repaint schedule it will require to keep it looking decent.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:54 pm 

I bought a 5gal bucket of oil based sealer.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:02 am 

mk e wrote:
I bought a 5gal bucket of oil based sealer.....

And some 36 grit belt sander belts to remove the larger trowel marks and any paint splatters before I put the sealer down.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:58 pm 

I think you should do a terrazzo mosaic.

Maybe something like this:

Attachments:
Terrazzo Mosaic Floor.jpg
Terrazzo Mosaic Floor.jpg [ 219.58 KiB | Viewed 14711 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:53 pm 

Brian A wrote:
I think you should do a terrazzo mosaic.

Maybe something like this:

Nice!

I assume that basically how your garage floor looks?

Seriously though, did you do anything other than bare concrete?

I mostly want to keep dust down and now how I am about being careful with nice things......so I'm thinking a bucket of sealer is a good choice even if it may not make the prettiest floor.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:35 pm 

mk e wrote:
...I assume that basically how your garage floor looks?

Seriously though, did you do anything other than bare concrete?

I mostly want to keep dust down and now how I am about being careful with nice things......so I'm thinking a bucket of sealer is a good choice even if it may not make the prettiest floor.
No, … but I have a persian carpet!

(It is difficult to get a rise out of my wife, but when I showed her the carpet at Costco for $160 she COULD NOT BELIEVE that I wanted it for the garage and almost refused to let me take it home. I like it! She has never commented again.)

I just have bare concrete on the floor. I would like to do something, but am struggling too with what to do. I am leaning toward just plain polyurethane paint. Yeah, it'll get scratched, but it would be very easy to touch up. I don't like the bright white "operating theater" style of garage finishing; I want something a little grungier. I don't think I would mind the stains and scuffs it would accumulate. If I go with paint, I would chose a darker color than standard light greys and tans. (Again, my wife would probably object.)

Clear sealer doesn't work for me because half of my garage floor (the part you can't see in the photo below) is 40 years old and has lots of oil and other stains. My garage is two cars wide and two cars deep (the small garage door you see just opens to the backyard for ventilation etc.). (Also note Lincoln 140 welder on bench; I do not know how to weld, ...yet).

Attachments:
Persian Rug in Garage.jpg
Persian Rug in Garage.jpg [ 228.24 KiB | Viewed 14694 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:44 pm 

Brian A wrote:

Clear sealer doesn't work for me because half of my garage floor (the part you can't see in the photo below) is 40 years old and has lots of oil and other stains. My garage is two cars wide and two cars deep (the small garage door you see just opens to the backyard for ventilation etc.). (Also note Lincoln 140 welder on bench; I do not know how to weld, ...yet).

They sell acid based concrete stains that can probably hide about anything then then you can seal over it maybe?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eagle-1-gal ... /204487976

I really really wanted to talk myself into painting the floor....but I couldn't find anyone that said paint works in a garage, the tires always stop it off.

With the welder I read think about brown options more than greys, the burn mark blend in better :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:05 pm 

mk e wrote:
...They sell acid based concrete stains that can probably hide about anything then then you can seal over it maybe?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eagle-1-gal ... /204487976
Interesting. Will investigate.

EDIT:
Been Googling images of acid stained concrete floors. I realize I am very familiar with the look: lots of stores and restaurants use it. Personally, its exteme mottled look is a little too much for me. Likewise, I want to blend my old concrete with my new concrete and stain likely would amplify the difference rather than tone it down.

... although this is just a darned garage floor; not Versailles.

Last edited by Brian A on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:35 pm 

Epoxy is best by far as it will withstand tires and last forever if done proper. My garage sucks, cheap concrete (no, didn‘t build it), got proper divots in the floor from manouvering the car. Costco has this diamond patterned floor covering which I did put in in the end which works really well and doesn‘t cost a lot. If I had invested your time and effort and had the space empty I‘d do it properly...
Then again, leave as is and get to the engine ;-)...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:36 pm 

@brian Where did you get that German plate?