gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: EL Console
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm 

kjburns25 wrote:
The current hardware that I have is an AEM series 7 ECU or the EL129 ECU. My current hope is to open the original AEM session file (still struggling to do this) to being reverse-engineering some CAN communication and the AEM adapter harness included with this package (used to drive dual variable cams).

Excellent project.

I could use CAN help :)
The ecus are serial specific on firmware....they used to add you to e ginelab if you asked, not sure if they still do or not.

They may have added protection to lock the arms stuff.
Somewhere I have an aem model I opened long ago......I'll look for it and see if it still opens.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 pm 

mk e wrote:
kjburns25 wrote:
The current hardware that I have is an AEM series 7 ECU or the EL129 ECU. My current hope is to open the original AEM session file (still struggling to do this) to being reverse-engineering some CAN communication and the AEM adapter harness included with this package (used to drive dual variable cams).

They may have added protection to lock the arms stuff.
Somewhere I have an aem model I opened long ago......I'll look for it and see if it still opens.

Here's what I have, model and layout. It opens with no errors in the current EL release and appears to have CAN stuff in it.

As I said, I haven't really even looked at it and haven't kept up on the current releases. The models I use and share are models I wrote with no knowledge of the AEM work so I know there are no copyright concerns with sharing. In the last zips I didn't share my script and submodels but I certainly can and would love to have you add to it.

Attachments:
AEM model.zip [72.94 KiB]
Downloaded 761 times

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:24 pm 

I'm able to open almost all of the AEM models as well. My main concern was opening the AEM file for my motor as the kit I purchased came with an adapter harness that I'd like to be able to use for variable cam timing. I'd also like to look into the reverse engineering of some of the factory BMW canbus signals already used via AEM. I'd then like to add additional CAN functionality to interface with the BMW and then add support for additional input/output third-party modules to expand input/outputs for additional digital sensors, PWM outputs, thermocouples, etc. In the current AEM session file, everything is locked down without the ability to modify any CAN input/output or add additional functionality. Once I can play around with this, I'll be able to incorporate third party CAN into the model (which should theoretically be able to be applied to any other model).

Other than the CAN and alternate boost control, it would be pretty cool to include pre-turbo Bosch LSU4.9 sensors with backpressure compensation programmed right in. I'd like to investigate the existing barometric sensor integration into the existing model as well to see how it's implemented. I figured dissecting this model would be a great way for me to learn EngineLab as well as how to control the specific motor that I have. I'll attached the layout and model that I'm struggling to open. I'm not sure how to fix anything without being able to open it first.

I'm not well versed in scripting yet but I'm sure I'll get there. Just started looking at this last night. Finally have an excuse to do some programming! It's been quite a while....

Attachments:
S54.zip [68.23 KiB]
Downloaded 700 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 am 

I tried unsuccessfully to open it with the current ELC or the AEM software.....I'm guessing as a special package that that charge extra for its locked. You might be able to get a sense for what's in there using the add control feature on the layout tab and select text or text grid or plot.....it should (might?) show you all the items in the model...unless the layout is also locked.

The current AEM is 2.96.8592 so the error you got using 8498 could be an issue with item type. I have read access to a beta site and just took a look.....there is a newer beta V97 but 8498 is the only V96 and since they changes repositories about 18 months ago the history isn't there so I can't roll back...I remember having a 82xx version at one point but I'm not sure where I might have put that....but I suspect it would only make things worse.

I think Jim's going to tel you its locked by AEM

Edit - install a beta 1.97.8672.....no go on your file

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:15 pm 

Thanks for taking a look! I've attached the error log file that it creates when trying unsuccessfully to open the file - seems it has an issue importing one of the channels but I've got no idea how to fix it. I was thinking it wasn't locked as none of the other files seemed to be - they opened fine. I was guessing that it was an issue with the version or something that changed between ELC versions that handled something differently and thus caused an issue.

I've got a phonecall with Jim later so maybe he'll be able to shed some light on this.

Attachments:
log.txt.zip [1.73 KiB]
Downloaded 652 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm 

Where did you find the error log? I see that saved anywhere I can find?

Jim knows all, I'm sure he'll get you pointed right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm 

You'll have to go into ELC --> File --> Application Options... --> Main --> Scroll down to "syslog_file_path". Mine was empty initially. I then set up a location to have it save the log file and now it generates a log file each time I have an error - I didn't try to see if it generates a log file when there are no errors though.

Edit: It does create a log whether or not there are errors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:44 am 

New versions out, I've downloaded but not installed yet

ELC 1.97.8810
FW 1.97.8809

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:10 am 

I'm looking at ECUs for my project and the Infinity 506 is 90% of what I want. The missing 10% is software. Is there high level overview of what this project is about? I've been reading the forum and I still have some questions. here's my Clif notes for what I have so far.

I understand EL Console is Enginelab's calibration software for Enginelab's firmware that can be flashed to either AEM or Enginelab hardware. I would have to get a hold of a Jim at Enginelab to add my ECU's serial number to be able to download Enginelab firmware to AEM coded hardware. Is it possible to go back to AEM firmware after flashing the ECU with Enginelab hardware?

I downloaded both EL Console and Infinity Tuner but neither have much functionality without connected hardware so it's hard to poke around. What is missing in EL Console to develop firmware that can run an engine? what are these models that I'm reading about?

Looks like EL Console works with plugins that I might be able to write myself. Can these plugins be added Infinity Tuner as well? Specifically, I would like to write CAN messages to the OEM bus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:31 pm 

So the download is the enginelab setup....its empty and you need to creat a "model" to do what you want. AEM has created a model and locks access in their version but if you can see the AEM model using the full enginelab version....I didn't look, my model is original so I can share it and have posted here
http://gemellocattivo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=153

I have not updated that in a while so no doubt there are errors but it will show you what a model is and I wrote a basic manual to explain it on the same link.

You can use plugins....I have not messed with them and have no idea what they even do so I'm no help there. Sending CAN to the OEM buss is very straight forward in the model if you know what you want to send....so if you bought t5he AEM setup you could spend soem time to get their model out , add your bits then load it all back in....or maybe a plugin could do it. It migth also be possible to use the append function to just add your new stuff to the end of the AEM model, it works with EL models but I never tried messing with an AEM model.