gemellocattivo.com

Which means "Evil Twin". Lets see your projects where you change boring into fun or create the fun from scratch.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 am 

So, I know I posted the tube chassis before... and then after having a kid I did a careful re-evaluation on how likely it is that I'll get to racing something made entirely from scratch in the near future.

(not very)

So I started doing parts that would be necessary for a different class based off the stock unibody.

First off, the RX-7 has these annoying struts where the strut tube is integrated into the knuckle forging. And you're not allowed to go to a different setup by rules. So in the course of working up solutions... basically modified Bilstein struts would work (I'll get to the larger picture eventually) but adjustable shafts for the Bilstein stuff are expensive and nobody wants to sell them to you, and there's a shock piston design that Bilstein just don't have. Penske has the pistons I want and adjustable shafts and stuff off the shelf but no reasonably priced struts. What to do? A hybrid.

So that's a Penske style linear/digressive piston, designed to take the 1/2" Penske adjustable shaft and fit into a 36mm Bilstein strut tube. I'm sending out quotes to get most of it lathe cut with the intent of then just finishing the ports on my mill with a rotary table - the geometry isn't actually that hard to do.

Next, a problem live axle race cars run into nowadays - radial slicks want more camber than bias ply slicks. What to do?

This is adapted from circle track practice... if you look closely the axis rotation isn't perpendicular to the bolt on flange mating surface. This combined with an axle with crowned splines means a hub that tolerates up to 3 degrees of camber... on a live axle.

Profile Send private message